Fordmods Logo

The NF Fairlane build 

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane Ghia project, VCT is here!!!
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

TickXR wrote:
Just went and picked the VCT motor up so now i have it here about to start pulling brackets and accessories off to give her a clean up before being installed.

Will send box off to be looked at in next couple days, hopefully will be easy fix as it has only travelled around 90k

Just about to unload it from trailer and head out and pick up some interior pieces i have sourced to clean up the interior a lil

Will post up pics after i get back this afternoon

I have question for VCT guys though, since i have the series 1 VCT motor and computer, can i source a VCT series 1 wiring loom and just bolt this all in as the series 1 had smart lock as well? I know the computer will need to go to Ford to be reprogrammed to work with my BCM so just wondering if this is an option
Not all Series ones are smartlock, you need the month/year of manufacture to tell which one you have. I am looking at using an AU ECU in mine, I have the whole loom to make it easier but I still need to graft it into my NL dash loom.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NF Fairlane

QLD, Australia

She's definately a smartlock computer, came out of 98 Fairmont Ghia

Here's few pics of parts i went and picked up today

First of all here's the VCT motor

Here's the damage on the gearbox i was referring to, i think she's going to need a new casing unfortunately
Will take down to gearbox shop in next couple days and get there verdict

Here's the series 1 computer, fuel rail (missing couple injectors), alternator and power steering pump and spare VCT cam cover
Also in pic is couple other pieces i picked up today - 3 x flick lights, new drivers rear door lock as the sensor which shows door open in mine is busted and chrome strip for top of door

Also got some new trim for car also, in better nick than mine so will send down to detailers and get proffessionally cleaned before installing

Also picked up new dash complete with woodgrain spear still attached in immaculate condition
Just need to clean off the glue where the velcro was holding the dash mat on (yes i got the dash mat also..lol)

Didn't get time today to start working on it as didn't get back till around 7pm from picking everything up

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Car looks really good, nice work.

I see you got some nice goodies today too. I love getting new stuff. Give me your dash spear :P

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

yay we are seeing some progress so is the charger still going ahead?

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:03 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Nice job getting the other parts together. But I thought being a Fairlane Ghia like mine, you would have a passenger side airbag? because that dash wont take the passenger airbag as it has the spear instead of the opening for the airbag. I am probably wrong but I thought the ghias has the extra airbag. maybe because yours is a 95 model it did not come with one?

Josh

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Car looks really good, nice work.

I see you got some nice goodies today too. I love getting new stuff. Give me your dash spear :P

Cheers mate, it should clean up really well over next couple months, still bit more to do yet

Yeah i love getting new parts as well, it's just the outlay of folding i have problems with lol
Ohh and :P :P on gettin the spear :mrgreen:

Kenay wrote:
yay we are seeing some progress so is the charger still going ahead?

A little down the track it will, i need to finish building my stroker motor for T series project first
Plus i've been looking at the Vi-Pec computers lately and may buy one of these to run the motor with a charger at same time :mrgreen:

XR-Lane wrote:
Nice job getting the other parts together. But I thought being a Fairlane Ghia like mine, you would have a passenger side airbag? because that dash wont take the passenger airbag as it has the spear instead of the opening for the airbag. I am probably wrong but I thought the ghias has the extra airbag. maybe because yours is a 95 model it did not come with one?

Josh

Have few more parts to acquire over next week or two, figure now that i've actually started spending the $$ might as well keep spending til i have everything needed
The passenger airbag was an option in the NF Fairlanes and standard in the NL Fairlanes

On another note this motor didn't come with any coil packs or throttle body
I'm thinking of buying some MSD coil packs and decent leads along with maybe some type of MSD ignition system - Anyone have some recommendations on this?

As for throttle body, what size did the series 1 VCT come with and are they the same as the NF ones?
I'd assume they would be different so may well need to source new throttle body, if this is so i might spend couple extra buying aftermarket one if any real advantage
Any thoughts or recommendations on this also would be appreciated

Geez i hate cars sometimes, they just keep depleting my bank accounts lmao

If you don't do it whilst your livin, you aint got no bloody chance when your dead!!!

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:36 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the nf throttle body is the same size as the au ..
but it depends on how your going about the conversion?
if your going to use the nf loom and manifold use the nf throttle body as the au tps and isc has different conections..

Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

XR-Lane wrote:

Josh

The Airbags became available with the EF2/NF2/DF2 Update. Standard in Ghias, optional on others.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the nf throttle body is the same size as the au ..
but it depends on how your going about the conversion?
if your going to use the nf loom and manifold use the nf throttle body as the au tps and isc has different conections..

Cheers thanks for that Troy, i'm going to buy some manuals tommorrow and go over the looms and see how different they are.
If the series 1 VCT isn't too different i may just mod it to fit into the Lane.

On another note i just unbolted the gearbox and have it ready to take down to gearbox shop tommorrow. Hopefully won't cost me too much to repair, i still think it will need new case though.

I went to bolt the motor upto the engine hoist and don't have any bolts long enough so going to go down to bolt shop tommorrow and pick some up so can bolt onto stand and start pulling everything off and clean it up ready for install.

Hopefully will have the motor and box ready for install by end of next week, fingers crossed.

Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

SLO247 wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:

Josh

The Airbags became available with the EF2/NF2/DF2 Update. Standard in Ghias, optional on others.

Thanks slo

Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Went out and did some shopping today

Bought copy of EFI manual that covers the NF 6 cylinder and also a copy of the AU Falcon manual
Using these manuals to decipher the wiring looms between the NF and series 1 VCT to see if i can actually integrate the series 1 VCT computer into the conversion.

Also bought a new set of 9mm Eagle Eliminator series ignition leads and new engine coolant sensor as one on my motor was damaged by previous owner.
Here's a pic of same leads off ebay as i have just bought

Looking around at moment to see which throttle body and coil combination i want to go for, i have started a thread in 6 cyl workshop area of site to cover any discussion on this or recommendations.
Once i buy what i decide on then i'll post up links and pics in this thread

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well got the gearbox back today from the shop and let's just say she must of had a hard 90k km's in her life.
Couple of the clutches and bands were shagged so were replaced, everything is now spot on though ready to go. She was completely dissassembled down to bare bones, checked over before adorning her new body, yep the case was screwed and not worth fixing as i presumed.
All i need to do now is fill her up with some loving oil when she's in the car, god i hope i don't forget :shock:

Went down to supercheap and bought couple cans of engine primer, 1 can matt black for block and 1 cam aluminium for accessory brackets etc

Will have some updated pics up tommorrow

Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:06 am 
Fordmods Junkie

sounds good mate, hope it did not cost you too much to get the trans rebuilt

Josh

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane Ghia project, VCT is getting stripped down
Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OK tonight ended up being quite eventful

I finally got the motor up onto the engine stand and started stripping everything off it to clean up and give couple coats of paint. Couple hours went by and i had nearly everything off including water pump, idler pulleys etc etc, she looked pretty bare.

So anyway i thought to myself, you know this things been sitting for while maybe i should give her couple turns over by hand and try get some oil circulating, so i got the breaker bar with right sized socket and started swinging like a monkey protecting his bananas. To my absolute dismay i witnessed water coming out the number 4 spark plug hole :shock: :shock:
I can tell you i was p****d, i wanted to have this motor in my car by the time i went to Perth on Friday, now there's no chance in hell that's going to happen as the whole motor has to be pulled down and rebuilt :evil:
My biggest concern is how long has the water been in there and how rusted is that bore?

So now if i'm going to rebuild this you can be damn sure she's not staying standard, will wait to see if bores are ok but if they need a bore then so be it and i'll put new pistons in as well. Whilst the head is off i want to find someone who knows what there doing with the VCT heads and have it played with to get some more flow happening and well since the cams out as well..........you get the idea :lol: :P :lol:
Who does performance cams for VCT's anyway? Anyone?

I took some pics of motor with my phone but damn stupid vodafone isn't letting me e-mail them to myself to post up here so will have to take pics with camera tommorrow.

Post subject: Re: NF Fairlane Ghia project, VCT is getting stripped down
Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

OK here's the pics i took with the mobile mast night - sorry about the quality

This is how motor is looking at moment

In these 2 pics i have circled the water splatter that came out of the cylinder, i should of taken pic of amount on floor to but too late now.

Come to think of it now i know why we couldn't turn motor around easily when we were unbolting the torque converter bolts now, she was getting hydrolocked :(

Ohh well now i guess i have reason to pull her down and rebuild with some performance goodies to make her go a little bit better, let's see if we can get 190-200kw outta her :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next