Fordmods Logo

Thomas505's AUII Megasquirt Install. 

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: Thomas505's AUII Megasquirt Install.
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AUII

NSW, Australia

FINALLY! I have just ordered all the LPG equipment I should need, ended up costing $477.66 which I don't think is too bad considering i'll have sequential vapour injection good until 350hp (assuming my supply is good), ie: WELL beyond what my bog stock engine can manage.

Whilst i'm awaiting the parts i'll finalise the design to test out the electronics/injectors (I want to build a circuit to power one injector and fiddle around to get best performance - at the same time i'll get some important injector characteristics such as flow rate and dead time at varying voltages. Thats the plan anyway...). I'll also hit up a wreckers to find an intake manifold and install as much as possible onto that so I can basically just swap manifolds over and install hoses come time to actually put the injection to the engine.

Stay tuned for updates.

My Megasquirt 3 install: here

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Excellent work - Great documentation.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Okay everything has arrived. I must say i'm very surprised how small everything is (injectors and reducer) I don't think i'll have any problems mounting this on the manifold. I am however far from impressed as to how they shipped it - everything was in a cardboard box and just stuffed in (no newspaper, no bubble wrap NOTHING). The only form of padding was that the box was placed inside the coil of rubber pipe - i'll be sending them an email to address this (nothing *seems* broken or damaged but it can't have been good for them).

I'll upload some pics shortly - not much to see though :P - electrical design and injector testing will have to be done before I can fit everything up

Thanks, Thomas.

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

As promised here are some pics:

My Reducer on the left, my two gaseous filters on the right (i'm splitting the gas side into two right from the reducer). Note the 20c coin for size comparison.

Injectors and lock-off solenoid. Interestingly my current LPG setup has the EXACT same solenoid - could have saved myself $20.

I went a bought a new (used) manifold from the wreckers - idea is I'll mount everything up to this and then just simply swap manifolds over when it comes time to install. In terms of placement, I will double check but I think i'm going to mount everything from underneath - the manifold is pretty cluttered on top but almost nothing is happening underneath.

And here is my new (used) intake pipe to replace the one that has a big f**k restriction inside (the mixer).

Grabbed my multimeter and did some testing on the fuel guage - seems I can get away with simply supply a voltage to the dash (MUCH easier than a resistance) to operate the fuel guage - I also measured 20mA of current being supplied to the sender, so my 25mA and 50mA (for LPG) should be spot on. I've finally finished all my exams but i'm back to full time work... I'll see how it goes, but I foresee electronic design in my future when I have time/motivation - hopefully having the LPG equipment here will give me a kick in the pants to get things moving.

Question: does anyone know what size the falcon heater hoses are? I need to get some T's to splice into the heater hose and attach a 16mm hose for the new reducer.

Thanks, Thomas.

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hi all,
Apologies for the epic delay since an update - uni/work and all that. Anyway, progress hasn't stopped - i've actually made a fair amount of progress electronically. I have designed and built a controller to interface to my MS3 - it has an LCD display that i'll build into the dash and will be able to display useful engine parameters (such as AFR, TPS etc) but more importantly will also allow me to switch fuels, turn launch control on/off and any other trickery I wish to accomplish:

I am still writing the firmware for this, but its 75% finished (I have successful communication to/from the ECU). I also have to build an interface card to run the LPG system. This is the space I have to work with:

The board design is 99% finished, (I just need to finalise the design, and verify everything is correct before I go and get it made). Functionally, the board fits and connects in the same way the MS3X card does - with the exception that it has 8 peak and hold drivers on board (which are compatible with my LPG injectors) and has an additional VR conditioning circuit (to allow for two cam sensors). This is so that I can drop in a DOHC engine straight in with just a little extra wiring (and a lot of mucking around).

I have also flow tested my injectors, with some pretty pictures to follow. First up, the test circuit I made (the Peak and Hold circuit in my final board is identical to this one - except a tad smaller):

And the setup (note the Megasquirt all naked in the middle):

Injector side - I am "simulating" the LPG with compressed air, and measuring the flow using the black bucket and the 1L measuring cylinder.

For those interested, this is what a peak and hold circuit does. The top trace is the pulse sent to the injector circuit by the ECU, the bottom trace is the current through the injector. Note how the current builds to a "peak" and then dies off to a "hold" level:

Finally, the fruits of all my labour:

The Results

I hope to send the final board away to be manufactured sometime next week, and in the meantime I can start the mechanical part of the build and start mounting injectors!

Thanks, Thomas.

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:30 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: toyota landcruiser

NSW, Australia

hey thomas arre you still playing with this set up and how has it gone i have a feeling that if your interested i may have some paid work for you as i cant even get mine to work
rod

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

thomas505 wrote:
Ok, the reason i'm installing a megasquirt is to get rid of a problem i've been having with running petrol after gas for a while (petrol runs far too rich). I have not used an EEC-V adapter as I need the existing ECU functioning (plus its an extra expense) - I have simply spliced into the existing loom (for shared inputs) and cut elsewhere for outputs (so far spark and idle).

As far as sensors go, they're pretty much covered in my second post. I haven't replaced any sensors at all, i've shared the Throttle Position Sensor and Crank Angle Sensor while I have added a second Coolant Temperature sender and a second Intake Temperature Sender (and technically another MAP sensor, but the Megasquirt pretty much requires this).

For controlling the coils, I used BIP373 coil drivers (one came with the megasquirt + 2 extra which I bought from http://www.diyautotune.com) a great guide to installing them can be found here. AUII falcons used wasted spark and for the time being i'm using the standard coil packs (though an upgrade down the track will be individual LS1 coils for each cylinder).

Anyway, hope this answers your questions.
Thanks, Thoma.s

Im not sure if anyone followed up on this - the rich running on Petrol is Kinda normal on LPG Conversions. The (normal) Correct way to fix it is to DISCONNECT the o2 sensor from the EEC while on LPG. This disables learn while on LPG, and on switch back to Petrol the ECU will work from the O2 sensor. No issues. On the 5.0, you need to make sure you disconnect both O2's.

A lot of LPG Kits (Gastech in particular) dont offer the option of "Disconnected" O2 emulation. Thats not terrible, except on a 5.0 one bank is getting an emulated signal, and the other is getting the correct (for LPG) signal. The ECU tunes one bank to be waaaay off the mark and things go very poorly if you dont drive on petrol often.

Nigel

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: toyota landcruiser

NSW, Australia

its a rather old post and im am trying to contact thomas505 i am running a ford 5 liter in a landcruiser with megasquirt 3 ecu on dual fuel but only ever ha it running on lpg ecu didn't really ever work
need help with it

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3