Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 5 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyTimTim's 93 ED Mods
Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey Ash,

Whats you pick in wheels off this site? Which would be your favourite? The factory ford looking (GT or Momo Grey ones) or the more different ones (flat bottomed ones with inserts near buttons)?

http://www.autotek.com.au/shop/a-tek-st ... s.html?p=1

Cheers mate...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

they were the two I picked out as well... I looked at the wild looking ones and they aren't round and look more like an off the shelf auto-technica wheel sort of shape... If that makes sense :? not sure if I'm a fan of it... plus look much more fatter to hold...

Cheers...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

still don't know what you have to do to get more interest in your build thread though... :?

Mustn't be that interesting in here... Just reading Kenay's, and even he has 17 pages... Although I must have close to 17 pages worth of typing in here so far...

I will catch up to your post count in your build thread one day BenJ... :P

I'm just researching BA gear and will wait to buy some cheap stuff and then do some serious modding... :)

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Well, it does pay to be thorough. LOL.

Tim, I gave up ages ago worrying about any responses I get in my build thread. I find many people look, but don't comment. I mainly do it now as a way to record my progress, and provide some inspiration and a resource base to others, looking to do the same or similar things.

It also helps me remember what I have done too.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:03 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

thats the reason I'm thorough...

I have two younger brothers with the same cars... And one is 16yrs old and already wanting to do what I'm doing...

So its easier to do this so I remember, as my memory is crap... :mrgreen:

Oh well... At least some people leave feedback, its always just interesting to see what others think of your brainstorms and bright ideas...

Cheers Ben...

Timmy...

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

Timmy im definately following your build thread with intrest but all seems a bit over my head so struggle to contribute too much :-)

I really like the look of that second wheel Ash pointed out. And yes id have to agree the more factory looking the better.Ive been toying with fitting an AU clock spring to my ute but wasnt sure what was involved, BA would be even better!

love your work mate keep it up

Dan

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

dahayes wrote:
Timmy im definately following your build thread with intrest but all seems a bit over my head so struggle to contribute too much :-)

I really like the look of that second wheel Ash pointed out. And yes id have to agree the more factory looking the better.Ive been toying with fitting an AU clock spring to my ute but wasnt sure what was involved, BA would be even better!

love your work mate keep it up

Dan

Hey Cheers...

Oh well at least people watch then...

Ash you gave me a great idea but it comes with a downfall but now I'm addicted to that wheel... I drove with it today to and from work and it feels great...Two downfalls...

The first is not such a big drama... But you cannot see the EL combo switch due to its location as it is different shaped to the BA combo switch... and just happens to "hide" the combo... But who needs to see their combo anyway???

The second trouble is slightly more of a pain... Now I'm naturally a short person... And as such everything is in proportion... So I have small... hands (I know what your thinking but don't say it :P as I will deny it :wink:) the wheel is spaced further from the combo switch...And it makes reaching the the combo switch to hit the blinkers and that little bit more difficult... Its something I would endeavour to get the hang of to keep that wheel (darn you ash!!! :twisted:)...

I measured it and its about 23mm further out from the combo switch than the EL one... After measuring everything the combo switched can only be spaced 1.5mm out before hitting the wheel... So I'm at a wits end without being magically able to reshape the arms on the combo and bend them more forward... :cry:

But could be worse...

I'll post up pics after tea...

Cheers...

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I am quick fond of that colour too actually... Its going to be hard to part with when the old man needs to return it... :(

Not sure what to do about these arms... The doesn't appear to be able to modified to fit... I thought from first measurements I'd get 5mm by spacing the combo out... But further measurements revealed I wouldn't get that and the wheel would bottom out well before that at around 1.5mm of closer spacing...

Some pics for comparison...

First the combo switch view...

Attachment:
DSC_0862.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0866.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0865.JPG

and then distance to the combo arms...

Attachment:
DSC_0868.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0864.JPG

Happy Viewing...

And suggestions on ideas to fix it are greatly excepted... :cry: Why wont it just work...

Ash, not fond of bending plastics under heat... I'm likely to frig it up completely...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:09 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

It is do-able... Just uncomfortable...

The trouble if I go to BA arms (which I think look ugly due to the "kinks" in them) I end up with two headlight switches...

I wonder how different the FG wheels are:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Falcon-FG-GT-Typ ... 27b1799b82

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FPV-F6-F6-FG-/17 ... 27b14f90e8

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FPV-F6-FG-/ ... 27b151d565

you can see in behind the wheels in these listings... The combo appears much the same actually and seems to come a long way forward to close that gap... Darn ford for doing this to me :roll:

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You're pretty good with this sort of tricky s**t Ben,

Do you have any other suggestions... Although I really don't think there is much of a way around it... Only finger extensions...

I might have a look at the combo tomorrow arvo and borrow the heatgun from work over the weekend... See if its flexible... enough... I tried flexing lexen at work (like perspex) and it wasn't gonna bend at all...

Unless you could a BA without headlights... Then I'd be happy to use that combo :D

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

You're pretty good with this sort of tricky s**t Ben,

Do you have any other suggestions... Although I really don't think there is much of a way around it... Only finger extensions...

I might have a look at the combo tomorrow arvo and borrow the heatgun from work over the weekend... See if its flexible... enough... I tried flexing lexen at work (like perspex) and it wasn't gonna bend at all...

Unless you could buy a BA without headlights... Then I'd be happy to use that combo :D

Posted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

thats probably not a bad way of doing it... Use the gravity to bend it... Would be neater too you know... Might just be possible... :mrgreen:

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hmmmm.

I personally am not a fan of any of the factory airbag wheels, which is why I am using an aftermarket sports wheel.

However, I end up with a similar situation to you, in that the spacing from the combo arms are further away from the wheel than standard, depending on what wheel I use.

I just got used to the extra distance. Doesn't take very long, and it is soon second nature.

There is another thread that I recall, where the member fitted a BA wheel to their car, and had similar issues. Might be the guy fitting the BA interior to his AU.

I also don't see what the prob is with having a second set of headlight controls. I am sure you can find another purpose for them.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Hmmmm.

I personally am not a fan of any of the factory airbag wheels, which is why I am using an aftermarket sports wheel.

However, I end up with a similar situation to you, in that the spacing from the combo arms are further away from the wheel than standard, depending on what wheel I use.

I just got used to the extra distance. Doesn't take very long, and it is soon second nature.

There is another thread that I recall, where the member fitted a BA wheel to their car, and had similar issues. Might be the guy fitting the BA interior to his AU.

I also don't see what the prob is with having a second set of headlight controls. I am sure you can find another purpose for them.

Cheers
BenJ

Ben,

I don't mind some of the factroy wheels... Esp when a lot of them are better quality than a lot of aftermarket ones anyway... Esp this territory wheel I have a lend of atm... Its super comfy... My biggest dislike in an aftermarket wheel is the ones where they have chrome bars running out to the wheel... Not real fond of them... They have been all covered from horn out, be it vinyl or leather to get my approval... :D

I don't think it'd take much to get used to... And would become second nature... Just if possible I would've liked to be even able to take half the distance out of it and make it improved... But without bending the wiper arms I don't think I have much choise...

At present I really wouldn't have use for more switches... I struggled to find a use for the antenna button when I got rid of the footwell lights... For the sake of using it I just hooked it up to my amp so I can turn it off easily when I wanna listen to music without the car running... Esp seeing the battery is on its way out anyway...

Also generally don't like the look of the BA combo switch arms... They need to be straight, not kinked...

The FG wheel looks like it might get rid of this... I might be able to see the combo... But then again knowing my luck I'd get one and pay a fortune and I'd be no better off...

Cheers...
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 78  Next