Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 6 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyTimTim's 93 ED Mods
Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Just read from start to finish! Love it.

Sent you a pm to see if you can help me out with some power windows.

Keep up the good work!!

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You read it from start to finish... :shock: I wrote it and not even I'd read it all... :lol: I hate reading...

Oh well at least giving some people lots of enthusiasm...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I am pretty impressed actually. Well done on the build so far. Just because people don't reply doesn't mean they don't look at it.
It has come a long way and you should be verry proud of what you have achieved so far.

I am also doing up a box car, but it is my daily driver so it gets very little done to it. SO far i have done a serpentine conversion and a BBM conversion. I installed a full set of power windows and a full set of EF Ghia doortrims. I also scored a set of ED Fairmont seats so they have made their way in as well. The Blue car is consuming all the cash and what ever is left, or can be done cheaply is how it gets done on my ED.
Good luck and keep up the updates.

Cheers
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hey Brett...

Thanks for the comments... Thats good to know people breeze over this stuff at their own leisure... Just so long as some have good ideas from it all...

Thats good... Hope your boxcar goes well too... :) Cars are an expensive habit aren't they? :lol:

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hey you know how you have those moments when your lying awake at night and you have a great idea and then you can't get back to sleep...

Well I had one of those last night...

Ben has a good point of having headlight switch wouldn't be a bad thing and you'd be able to find something to use it for...

Well if I ran BA/BF arms (if they mount into the EF/EL combo switch body) then I could use the BA headlight switch (even make up a circuit for the "auto" function if I so desired) and then I could pull the ED headlight switch out... and then make up an adaptor and mount a gauge there... :D Maybe one day a boost gauge, but for the time being a AFR gauge would be go I think (nothing else I can think of that would be any better?)

So whats an opinion on this?

The headlight switch is in a great spot and not blocked by the wheel driving is very visible... This saves cutting holes in the dash, or making screw holes... And solves the problem for those of us who can't fibreglass gauges into where the trip computer mounts up...

Thats my brainstorm for the week anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:29 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Ok First... Ash...

All turned up today... All is great and well... Spent this arvo arguing with the cruise control switches trying to them apart, the clips in them are phenomenal... Ford designed them to never come apart again, but alas it I got there after what felt like ages... The old man dissembled the horn pad and we removed the airbag and re-assembled... So I now has completely dissembled cruise switches and a hornpad with no airbag... :D So thanking you very much for your assistance here... It is much appreciated... :mrgreen:

Second...

I'm the d***head who didn't think very hard about the cruise switches before hand... :evil: EF/EL has an "on" button & an "off" button... both work opposite ways... one puts +12V on the signal return wire, one puts ground on the return wire... Identical to std ED gear...

BA And BF cruise switches are press on, press off... All done via a resistor network... This makes my headache larger, not to mention Ford decided to use SMD (surface mount device) resistors, for which I cannot work with (don't have the gear)... So easiest way I can think of to resolve this issue is yet another circuit... A simple Flip Flop so every time the button is pressed it simply cycles from output 1 on the chip to output 2 on the chip... now this means where you simply press and release a button on the EF/EL cruise system, the one button will change between them (using BA buttons to control EF/EL module, and will always be defaulting to holding down "off" until when pressed and will be continually holding down the on button...

Now if you compare diagrams:

Attachment:
ED Cruise Control Wiring.pdf

Attachment:
EL Cruise Control Wiring.pdf

you will notice (in the wheel switches part of each diagram, ED Bottom Left Box, EL Bottom Centre Box) that the ED switches have a rectifier diode installed in series with the on off switches... Means nothing to the average person... However when you test the switches behaviour under all circumstances... If you hold down your on button and honk your horn in an EF/EL you will see your cruise is turned off... Not really a problem... because who holds down their on button and honks at the same time right? This circuit, when driving along with cruise set, will be holding down the on button all the time... if you honk at birds on the road with cruise on it would turn your cruise off... not very convenient... I could use two timers so the buttons are only pressed for a short period when switches over... I could use transistor so outputs are only made true when the button is actually pressed, but its a lot more work... The answer lies in the ED system...

The ED system was bullet proof... Not bad for a 17 yr old car... That diode is the answer... It stops the signal return wire seeing a low when the cruise button is held on... So by looking at the old stuff, I was given a very simple answer to the problem... Now to start designing a circuit with a flip flop in which will work the cruise on/off and work out how to change the SMD resistors to values of use to me... To save wrecking the ford ones I might be making up my own out of vero board... not sure, will see how I go, vero board might be an easy answer yet though...

Combo switch arms do look interchangeable... So are the clip on switches on the rear of the combo switch... Funny to think that to date, even the clip on switches on the rear of the combo switch are identical to ED ones, only that the BA one is missing the hazzard lights one... So will have to integrate that one... For the time being though, all looks pretty straight forward here... My circuit for the variable wiper speed might change now to include this flip flop for the cruise triggering... This way it is all contained in the one box... As will the patch harness to accommodate the plug for the BA combo switch...

Will get some pics of progress sooner or later for those following... Happy to hear any thoughts or comments...

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by TimmyA on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Its cool mate...

Truth be told it bothered me when sourcing an EF/EL one... then when I pulled off the original ED one I thought... Don't know what I was complaining about... Coz it was shocking, but you don't notice... If it ever bugs me, once I'm sure it works I can source others... For the time being they are fine mate...

Na no throbbing... Just need to jot the stuff down so when I forget where I am up to I can re-read it...

It all turned up find mate... You didn't have to uses a whole roll of tape though... :P Very well packaged...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

that is true... they even came individually wrapped in cardboard (the arms that is)...

So some more research tomorrow and see how I go with this mod... fair bit to do to get this working... but one step at a time for now... Make sure this cruise will be possible first... the combo switch looks possible already, just the electronics might be the tricky bit...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

haha... thanks for instilling great faith in me Ash...

Off to bed now to brainstorm for a while and get a plan together in my head for what needs to be done...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Tim, I downloaded the EL Cruise PDF and it worked great, but it looks like your ED Cruise PDF is broken. I downloaded it twice to make sure, and it has some sort of syntax error on the second page.

Please put another copy up, as i am going to use the EF cruise on my ED as i have the module, and now have a EBGT Steering wheel with the cruise buttons and would like to get it working.

Also, seeing as you are such a bright bloke with wires and stuff, have you had any luck getting the thermofans working with an EL ECU, since i have done the BBM conversion and am now running the BBM of an EL ECU.

I hope for updates soon.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:35 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1992 EB Fairmont 302 Windsor

QLD, Australia

I just wanted to say this thread has been a great read, and look forward to further action in here :D

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Wow, that's tops mate. Your work looks great, love the attention to detail!

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Tim, I downloaded the EL Cruise PDF and it worked great, but it looks like your ED Cruise PDF is broken. I downloaded it twice to make sure, and it has some sort of syntax error on the second page.

Please put another copy up, as i am going to use the EF cruise on my ED as i have the module, and now have a EBGT Steering wheel with the cruise buttons and would like to get it working.

Also, seeing as you are such a bright bloke with wires and stuff, have you had any luck getting the thermofans working with an EL ECU, since i have done the BBM conversion and am now running the BBM of an EL ECU.

I hope for updates soon.
Brett

Brett,

Try that ED Cruise again... Should be Ok now...Thanks for pointing that out, the pdf filter played up... :roll:

Just remember if you use the EL cruise with the EB wheel you wont have the "set -" button... You will also have to change the resistor values in the set/coast switch to the ones listed in the EL cruise page... the power on off switch can remain unchanged...

In regards to the thermos... Its all hooked up, wired in ready to go but never tried it yet... I still have the EEC-IV in atm, the EEC-V is set up for the cam, but I'll whack it in on the weekend and just plug the fans in and run a diagnostic and see if they fire up (put it in gear while testing makes them come on low I think? :?)

I'll keep you informed...

Swathe wrote:
I just wanted to say this thread has been a great read, and look forward to further action in here :D

Hey there,

Hopefully hasn't been too boring or confusing... I think I'd confuse myself if I re-read everything I wrote... :roll:

Thanks...

XFWAGON wrote:
Wow, that's tops mate. Your work looks great, love the attention to detail!

Cheers for that... Its gotta look like Ford put it there 15 years ago... not like an auto-electrician did it 5mins...

Thanks guys,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:32 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Oh also Brett,

When I wired mine in I wired the pedal switches differently to how they had in that pic... I didn't think it'd work... So i did it my own way... Esp seeing as you don't have the pressure cancel switch on the master cylinder...

If your keen to see what I did I'll make amendments to the original drawing and send it to you...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

More great work Tim..... Look forward to this one!

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 78  Next