Fordmods Logo

Tom's XH 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Tom's XH
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

A while back I bought my XH (off Ebay) to replace my XG and since getting it (it was pretty much stock) I've done lots of small things like window tint, clear side indicators, exhaust tip, etc. One of the best ones was the kill switch which I got from the tech docs and wired to the fuel pump. I can't even get it to start without the switch so I'm not worried about someone driving off then crashing when the fuel runs out. It's also now got bluetooth stereo, new headlining and console lid, cleaned-up gear shift area, soundproofing material in the doors (still got rear wall and floor to do), solid rubber mat in the tray (nothing moves) and some motorbike tie downs and wheel chock, small side skirts to help keep the stones at bay and some driving lights I got on Ebay. Got rid of the silly yellow plates too for cheap.

The ute before:

The ute now:

In the future I hope to put EL GT's on (or replicas) and lower it a bit (but not to the tar). Between this and my bike it's hard to keep my wallet on a leash though. I think I'll get the springs reset in the rear cause at the moment they are super stiff with the 1-tonnne option. I want to get rid of the bullbar too but for the time being it's good to have with all the animals up this way. I'm also on the look out for some second hand Pacie 4499's cause the shop quoted $950 fitted for new ones(they must be diamond studded) then I can put a 2.5in setup together.

I'm trying to get some of the stickers/decals off though and some are so baked on and cracked it's taking forever with some heat and a bit of cut and polish. I also have a massive sticker mark from the previous owner being a bike shop. What would be the best way to go about this? Is it worth just repainting? The ute is garaged now but it obviously wasn't before and the roof, tailgate and bonnet all need work.

Fat sticker mark:

Otherwise, what else could I do to make it look cool but keeping it neat and clean? I like playing around and fixing things with it and there is heaps of knowledge on this forum, so I should be well placed to make it sweet.

Tom

Post subject: Re: Tom's XH
Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Gday Tom nice XH mate :D

It looks like you have all the plans sorted out well - the only thing I can think of to suggest is maybe a slight tint on the red and orange part of the tail lights . . .

good luck mate and I will be watching your build :D

Cheers
Grant

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

The tint would look good. I was thinking of going for brighter bulbs to compensate, does anyone use those LED replacements and are they any good?

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Hanni - BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

Thomas123 wrote:
The tint would look good. I was thinking of going for brighter bulbs to compensate, does anyone use those LED replacements and are they any good?

Yeah the LEDS would benifit - I dont know of anyone using them though . . .

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ed

NSW, Australia

nice xh mate. really clean example of a great model.

Posted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Nice XH. What did you use for sound proofing?

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

It's been ages since I have done anything to my ute but I had a few months working in South Australia which put everything on hold. However, I did have heaps of time to buy stuff online which was fun. I got a set of Roh RT 17s with good rubber and Pedders coils and reset leaves for a grand total of $400 which I was pretty happy with. The service manual made the job easy. It now sits about 5cm lower than it did before, has lost the big tyres and looks like this.

It rides much better without the mega-stiff rear springs and it's going in for an alignment tomorrow to get the job 100% done.

I also got some new Rockford Fosgate speakers, replaced a few squeaky bushes, put a 12v accessory plug in the tray and got as much of the stickers and marks off as I could. I made a bike ramp from an old radio tower cable conduit for my DRZ. I also reckon it looks better without mudguards. Another bargain was the Pacemaker 4499s I got for $140 and it now has a 2.5 inch exhaust. I had only a Lukey muffler but it droned a bit at around 80kms so I put a resonator in too. I like it being a bit quieter.

Next is to get rid of the bullbar, maybe for a nudge bar or just a normal bumper, and the BBM conversion. Still tossing up just buying a full engine though and not having to souce all the parts for the conversion. I'm thinking of different brake rotors cause mine shudder a bit and I also want to do something with the tail lights but tinting them, which I think would look best, seems to be a magnet for a defect notice. I'm not really into those.

For now though I'm happy with it, particularly as I was able to do nearly all of it myself (the exhaust install being the only job in town). Utes are awesome and so is this website.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Longreach

QLD, Australia

Nice ute and I'm liking that ride height. I see you've also got a set of Drift bucket seats. They're the same ones I've got in mine and they're surprisingly comfy.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

I wish I did have some rad seats but actually they're factory. It's amazing what a $50 set of seat covers can do.

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:29 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 98 XH2 Ute

VIC, Australia

This body looks clean as mate,

love the colour of it. mate had an xr8 in this colour which is what got me to buy my xh. love the tough little things.

have you tried Eucolyptus oil to get sticker off? i just got rid of all my stickers a couple days ago with it, works great!

Whats next on the list mate? :wink:

98 XH 5 Speed
BA 17"s, BA Short Shifter, 2.5" Mandrel Bent Redback, More To Come!
98 XH 5 Speed - http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/a-bone-s-98-xh-5-speed-t98900.html

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Looks nice mate. :D

Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:48 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH falcon ute

NSW, Australia

looks good mate.
those wheels look great on XH's but i may be a bit bias :wink: