Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Trailer Build
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... ght=camper

As that thread is old as.. i thought i would post up a more recent topic. Hunting on ebay i never found anything interesting or cheap enough to make build into a camper trailer.
So found one on ebay and won it for 80 dollars an old wooden trailer unrego and no compliance plate needed. Now so far this trailer has scarred the s**t outta of me and also made me laugh.

Was located in Maryland in Newie, i got it delivered to my pops in Shortland and i picked it up, saturday, the tailgate half fell off towards kurri kurri, (heard a funny noise, like paper or something caught in the wind,) done some running repairs got the tailgate on and checked the coupling (old screw type) and then, keep going, In Broke we adjusted and pulled some dodgy floor boards off checked and adjusted the coupling once again and set off. Stopped at Sandy Hollow went over the trailer checked the coupling tighten the thing.

Between Golma and Geurie the f**k TRAILER POPPED OF THE TOWBAR! (at 110km/h) scuffed the rear bar on the AU nothing major, scared the f**k out of me seeing the trailer poping back and fourth jerking the car. Put the trailer back on pounded the f**k outta coupling tight as all f**k set off. Got back to my fathers and left it there.

Plans;

Going to replace all the dodgey wood so i can pinkslip it to rego it, once regod i will strip it and replace the wooden frame with a RHS frame and build it and make it into a two person camper with a draw system under matress and a open out side that becomes a small awning. Was hoping to get it ready for bathurst but i am not to sure.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

You should change the coupling over with a brand new one if the old one popped off :S

Wanted, CFI manifold

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

are the hubs ford or holden ? if they are holden i would change them to ford as you can run similar mags as your car always helps on long trips, you can swap the spares between the car and trailer!! best of luck with your project!!! :)

LETS GET THE FALCON HELL OUTA HERE!!!

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ef Ghiaaaaaargh!

WA, Australia

Thats a dodgey looking trailer.. I found one similar to that in the bush down south with a tree growing through it.

How safe is that trailer?

Mercedes 500SEC: -- GONE -- http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/my-83-mercedes-500sec-buildup-t69837.html
Ef Ghia: -- GONE -- Pacie 4480's, 2.5" Redback, custom grille, FTR's.
AU xr8: BA xr wheels, 2.5" custom exh, leather and woodgrain next.
Chevy Camaro: LHD, Black, all original.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xbgt2dr wrote:
are the hubs ford or holden ? if they are holden i would change them to ford as you can run similar mags as your car always helps on long trips, you can swap the spares between the car and trailer!! best of luck with your project!!! :)

The hubs are old falcon four stud. Thinking i will either change them to ford ones or find the preset and offest and chase some four stud mags up.. (there are a set of threee 17inch mags off a lancer at work) or i will get another 13 steel wheel as a spare and paint the two ford wheels and polish the centre cap to make it look retro lol

knowsfords wrote:
You should change the coupling over with a brand new one if the old one popped off :S

Absolutly will be changing to a all new gal newer type.

NAfairlane... wrote:
Thats a dodgey looking trailer.. I found one similar to that in the bush down south with a tree growing through it.

How safe is that trailer?

When i change the coupling over to a new gal type (not another screw one either) and a few new planks of wood and new tailgate and a coat of paint will be safe enough to get passed for rego...

the wooden frame is A1 abit of surface rust on the springs, it tows real good an prolly the first 300 + km journey it has been on in a while.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Post subject: Re: Trailer Build
Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Went out to the fathers place to day and started on the trailer.. basically starting to strip the s**t wood

got some measurements to make a rhs frame.

Two Lengths 1.8
Four Lengths 1.2

Basically got to price RHS either 100x50 or 75x40

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: slammed EL

Power: 120 rwkw

SA, Australia

lol i build trailers for a living so this looks funny as all hell to me. make sure you give the chassi a real good clean and check the welds for cracks. it may be hard to weld the steal if its got rust on it.

Ford Motor Company
FoMoCo

Holden Motor Company
HoMoCo

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Freak6 wrote:
lol i build trailers for a living so this looks funny as all hell to me. make sure you give the chassi a real good clean and check the welds for cracks. it may be hard to weld the steal if its got rust on it.

Hehe i know what you mean.

When you look at buying your RHS, dont skimp on wall thickness. At the very least, go 3mm wall, the thicker the wall thickness the easier it will be to weld. Make sure you also prep the edges for the buttwelds (chamfer, bevel, etc) and you will have strength there.

75x 50 x 3mm+ rhs would be a good option, also make sure you replace the Draw bar too (A frame) as thats where it will collapse if it is fatigued.

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

so what did yuo actually pay $80 for and what are your plans for it ?

seems like you would of almos been better off starting from scratch and putting that $80 towards your RHS

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Leroy wrote:
seems like you would of almos been better off starting from scratch and putting that $80 towards your RHS

Yeah thats what i was thinking!

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: slammed EL

Power: 120 rwkw

SA, Australia

schnoods wrote:
Freak6 wrote:

When you look at buying your RHS, dont skimp on wall thickness. At the very least, go 3mm wall, the thicker the wall thickness the easier it will be to weld. Make sure you also prep the edges for the buttwelds (chamfer, bevel, etc) and you will have strength there.

75x 50 x 3mm+ rhs would be a good option, also make sure you replace the Draw bar too (A frame) as thats where it will collapse if it is fatigued.

50x50x3mm would be plenty for the draw bar on a trailer this size and a chassi of 50x50x2mm would give you all the strength you need, you dont always need to v prep for weld as long as you are a good welder.lol

Ford Motor Company
FoMoCo

Holden Motor Company
HoMoCo

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Leroy wrote:

i paid 82.50 for the trailer... IMO that is well worth even if i got put a new frame,, the hubs, springs, axle beam and wheels may not look much in photo's but they are in really good nick.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Freak6 wrote:
schnoods wrote:
Freak6 wrote:

50x50x3mm would be plenty for the draw bar on a trailer this size and a chassi of 50x50x2mm would give you all the strength you need, you dont always need to v prep for weld as long as you are a good welder.lol

Probably, but you never know when you will have a really heavy load and sometimes push the limits. Doesnt hurt to have a prep either, just a bit of good insurance, though with 2mm you might be chasing the hole if it were prepped. :wink:

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

VIC, Australia

Great update! Keep us posted, looks like an awesome build. A+++

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Leroy wrote:

i paid 82.50 for the trailer... IMO that is well worth even if i got put a new frame,, the hubs, springs, axle beam and wheels may not look much in photo's but they are in really good nick.

Fair enough. they do look pretty rusted in the pics thats all. But if it is as you say, better in real life and you are happy that is all that really matters isnt it :D
Good luck with it. I am interested to see how it turns out as i want to make a camper trailer in a year or so too.

Now driving a Hilux

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next