Fordmods Logo

turbo_wills el futura soon to be mach2 powered 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: turbo_wills el futura soon to be mach2 powered
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Ive got the tank with optional low level warning switch already just need to wire it up to a light but thats a good idea mate.

So i had success today, after doing a few kms now i checked the water tank to find it had barely gone down which was odd for the boosting id done. I checked the pump was turning on etc all ok, removed nozzle to test it was spraying properally only to find id put the wrong one in that came with my other kit, 200cc i think. Haha woops.

I found the m10 (760cc) and installed went for a drive and its dropped temps s**t loads!!!! Today was 25 degrees and temps quickly dropped to 45 which is way more than id expected for just water. If you touch the intake manifold after a 1st to 4th gear run its the coldest thing in the engine bay. Even the turbo comp cover is fairly cool as im injecting preturbo. I tried again with the water off and temps were just over 100C today by 4th which means im getting a 55c drop. I also found that after a hit of water on boost temps remained down for a long time before climbing back to 65-70C at cruise. It took 4kms of normal driving to hit 65 once it was down to 40 after a 1st-4th run.

I tried a m8 nozzle but it only dropped to mid 50C. The car feels the same hp untill 4000rpm were it feels like it picks up well, this is also the part of the ign map that jumps from 12-14degrees. I think the real power gains will all come from adding more timing now the intake temps are lower. 50/50 mix with meth may drop temps further and may be able to run a bigger or pair of nozzles. Interesting...

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

sounds good, do you find it runs leaner when you added water injection? or did you adjust the tune to suit with the j3 chip? Ive thought about running water/methanol injection but then thought again about just running the thing on e85 and a tune to suit but that would mean an overhaul of the fuel system ie braided fuel lines to cope with the corrosive properties of ethanol.... would be good but! more timing and more boost more safely!

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

thats a nice manifold actually.. sent you a pm.

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Cheers mate pm replied, i havn't got the wideband on the car at the moment so i cant say for sure but id expect afrs to remain unchanged as water isnt a fuel. With meth it will definatelly change-richer. I have not adjusted the tune to suit yet, from previous experience ive found that power remains unchanged or even drops a bit until the timing is increased under boost. Running 12-14 degrees still, should take at least 18-20 now. E85 is something ive always wanted to experiment with too.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Heres a pic of the water injection install

Not much has happened to this just clocking up the kms. Yesterday i began adding some timing, now im running 18-20 degrees, i will try adding some more another day when its a hotter. It goes so much better then before with 12-14 degrees, best 0-100 is now 6.1 and clutch slips coming on boost till its warmed up. Still 8psi with the m10 nozzle.

Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:51 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Time for an update its been nearly a month! So had dramas with the chip, the missus complained it was backfiring and blowing black smoke. When i got home i went or a drive and all good. It kept doing it to her but never when i drove it so i wasnt too sure what was going on. Finally it played up with me could barely do the 60kms speed limit spewin out more black smoke than running 100psi fuel pressure at idle! Turned car off, started it again, all good for a while till it happens again. In the end worked it out to be chip issues.

So its back to basics with stock el ecu, running our old mach1 fuel system which raises fuel pressure under boost and is adjustable in activation point and fuel pressure. Fuel pressure is at 90psi on boost now and it goes so much harder, havn't had the wideband on in ages must have been too lean. Been playing with base timing not sure what its set at prob even a bit advanced over stock feels very crisp and clean now!

So today did some more gtechs done 5.82 0-100 with a sweet launch and 14.1@111.9mph which is freakin way more mph than id hoped for on 8psi! This was after doing maybe 5 or 6 0-100s in a row so intake temps must have been very low from the water injection. After a 30min drive i tried again straight up and only got 103mph, next run 107mph so an intercooler will benifit heaps.

Bad news is i checked turbo compressor wheel the other day and the pre turbo water injection has chipped/eaten the wheel quiet badly so i will have to move the nozzle. Considering water to air cooler for something different and to keep short piping.

Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:40 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Ok first up turns out the gtech in the el has s**t itself giving some way out readings so unfortunately that means i doubt it ran 111mph last week, thought it didnt feel that quick. Ive swapped in the one from my red car which read 13.1@115mph when i tested it at heathcote and actual time was 12.9@115 so that one seems accurate for now haha. So its currently doing low 100mph passes which seems right from looking down at the speedo and 0-100s between 6.1-6.6 depending on how good i get the take off.

Anyway ive played around with the water injection and also made an intake to mount pod down away from the scorching hot air. Heres a pic of were the nozzle sprays now facing into the airflow from turbo.

And the intake pipe

IATs have dropped a fair whack from the new intake and spraying straight water temps are low 40 degrees on a 28 degree day under boost which isnt bad i think especially with such a short pipe for the water to try and cool the air. If i get on it in 2nd gear temps go 70degrees and then drop straight down once the water is activated.

I got some methanol to test with. Mixed 50/50 by volume temps climb right up to 65 degrees with a noticeable power drop. So with my jet (size 760cc min) and combo straight water is working best for now. From what ive read water can absorb the greatest heat however you can only spray so much before the engine bogs/breaks down. With meth you dont get this providing the tune is compensated and you can spray up to 4x the amount which is what gives such dramatic cooling.... so ive read anyway. Might try 50/50 again with 2x m10 nozzles and see if that drops any. Only worry would be the 5L tank would last bugger all may need to use a 20L tank haha.

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:12 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Car is going really well, the new intake made a decent power gain but now the clutch is hating life. Its at the point now were it slips badly as soon as full boost hits around 2500rpm in 3rd and above gears.

I have also decided to aim for a genuine 110mph over the 1/4 in this while remaining non-intercooled, i was going to stop modding it when i was hitting 100mph trap speeds but now it does that i cant help but go for more haha. This way its a good challange but wont happen overnight. Id expect around 250rwkw will be needed for that mph. Prity sure i will get an xtreme xhd organic kit seem great value from what ive read on here and t5 friendly.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2