Fordmods Logo

turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph 

Page 10 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph
Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: turbo ford

SA, Australia

What an excellent read you've been through a lot with this car holy s**t some work haha :o

I wonder if the solenoid on the boost controller is giving up the ghost its a major pain in the a** with boost spiking around like that, are you going to put it on the rollers without using the boost controller?

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:07 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Yea man not running the boost controller at the moment maybe issue with the solenoid like you say. I will just run it off the spring but leave controller on as id like to add more boost if it keeps making power. Booked for tonight on a mainline got an hour session to mess around a bit should be fun.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Well after B&R cancelling my dyno sessions 3 times with various excuses I got the s**t and went to towlers for some tuning. Was expecting some prity low numbers as his dyno only showed 208kw on my old turbo eb which then ran 11.97@113mph lol. Any way rocked up and the dyno pc wouldn't fire up so got sent home, half my luck haha. Prity much walked in the door and got a call saying its all fired up ready to go. Cruised back and strapped it down, had a chat about the setup and previous power figures etc etc First few runs were way too fat around 3000-3500rpm. Leaned the map out some and tried again. It was scaled to 270kw and made about that when the gate opened. Quick rescale to 500 and it peeled off 369rwkw on 20psi boost. Bloody happy with that using a J3 chip!!!

Not all good news though under full boost the head is lifting spraying out some coolant so we couldn't push any further and didn't make any on boost adjustments. Bummer as I had wanted to set up my cam gear, dial in more boost/fuel and then spray the 70hp nitrous jetting. Seems reusing the head bolts 3 times is not the best idea haha. Towlers is sure I need an mls gasket now, im still not 100% sure. He reckons on the dyno we will know how to keep it safe take small steps at a time. Cam timing should make a huge difference prob get us close to the 400 mark with afrs tidied up and fatten curve up. That run was stopped at 5200rpm as it was heading lean, really want power to hang on to 6000rpm hopefully cam timing or tune up is the problem.

So more s**t to fix I guess then back again.

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:07 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Pulled the head today, gasket shows bypassing on no. 4 exhaust side, head has a low spot there quiet large maybe 5thou lol. Needs a shave again.

Put together a bit of a guide on higher boost j3 tuning, might help a few in the future.

http://spoolinboost.wix.com/spoolinboos ... guide/c7en

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I have an xr6t so using binary edit rather than j3 but i need to learn a whole heap about tuning post haste so will be reading that very carefully although never likely to go over 16 psi.

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:07 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got the motor back together with skimmed head and permaseal mls gasket and fresh headbolts. Timing chains a little rattly at idle now but other than that all good. Comp tested it as a reference and all were between 150-160 except for no 4 that had the piston swap a while back and was at 130 lol.

Also fitted a sard fuel reg and bumped base pressure up from 43 to 50psi and plumbed back gate again. Once tuning is sorted ill put the screamer back on again. Measured back pressure in the 3" exhaust again and its getting up there now. I reckon as it is now there would be 10-20kw on the table with a 3.5" upgrade.

Hoping to get some more dyno time in the next couple of weeks

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:21 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Made up a 2nd exhaust system for the wastegate, 2" with single straight through muffler from a commodore. Happy with how it turned out very quiet under full boost cant even tell when the gates open even with the window down. Has dropped back pressure by 2psi had hoped for way more. Really needs a full 3.5" system.

Had this loaded up with car full of big blokes last night, makes so much difference for traction having some weight over the rear. 2nd gear was almost fully hooked and it felt so much faster even with a car full. Somehow we got excited and turned the nitrous bottle on and bypassed the boost switch, damn it hauled in 3rd without any wheelspin. Must have gone through half a bottle runs strong as on the spray, surprised the heck out of everyone.

Dyno time is booked for Friday.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got in an hour and a half dyno time today with good results. Got to play with cam timing and spent time getting the afrs right and cranking some more boost. Cam timing lost 10rwkw going 2.5d retarded and lost a massive 50rwkw going 2.5d advanced. So were it was std is best disappointingly.

Upping boost gave a good gain spat out 410kw at 23psi. Any more than that was only gaining around 5kw per psi so we stopped. Also out of fuel commanding full inj duty cycle and base pressure at 60psi. Eats fuel haha went through 1/4 tank in 35kms of dyno time.

Then with the 70hp nitrous jet it went 430kw bugger all gain with the more power it was making dropping curve off even earlier. Exhaust is restricting the crap out of it big time and turbine would be nearing the limit. Wasn't game to add timing as it was making the power easy on low timing, single digits lol.

Prity happy with the power but torque convertor is rooted again making dirty as noises and with the nitrous on it was lifting the head again grrr. Really don't want to pump any more cash into this so that will be were it stays. Ill race it again soon and then it will be up for sale to make way for another project. Its rather feral to drive haha.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
Got the motor back together with skimmed head and permaseal mls gasket and fresh headbolts. Timing chains a little rattly at idle now but other than that all good. Comp tested it as a reference and all were between 150-160 except for no 4 that had the piston swap a while back and was at 130 lol.

Also fitted a sard fuel reg and bumped base pressure up from 43 to 50psi and plumbed back gate again. Once tuning is sorted ill put the screamer back on again. Measured back pressure in the 3" exhaust again and its getting up there now. I reckon as it is now there would be 10-20kw on the table with a 3.5" upgrade.

Hoping to get some more dyno time in the next couple of weeks

Twin 2&1/2 flows more than a 3.5 inch (by a little bit), and fits better too.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 am 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

True mate I could always do a twin 2.5". Need to sort head lift issues first. Heres a vid showing whats happening as it lifts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4y6LCiE ... e=youtu.be

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:54 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

So this only lasted 3 days at 400kw before doing an epic explody this morning. It really is too much power to use on the street. Was thrashing it for ages trying to stop the head lifting. Put fresh headbolts and did them up super tight with no luck. Prity much new the head would need to come off as gasket must be shagged. Then set up for testing exhaust back pressure and pre turbine pressures. Thrashed it for 1/4tank and got plenty good data. Seeing 10psi back pressure in exhaust and about 55psi pre turbine which puts it a little over 2:1 ratio with 23psi inlet boost. Not bad seeing as the post turbo exhaust is adding 20 odd psi to that.

Then taking off from a standstill it limiter bashed 1st then 2nd and went F**k kaboom loudest noise ever and come to a grinding stop. Opened bonnet oil was everywere and coolant was pouring out from behind water pump. Seen the hole in the block, bummer hey but not really surprising pushing 4 times the stock power. After the long walk back I got a trailer and then started striping it all down. No 1 looks like one of the rod bolts snapped or maybe it just bent first causing it to snap. The entire piston is lodged in the sump half the rod is visable. Block is cracked/broken both sides and sump is all cut open. Headgasket shows bypassing on most of the coolant galleries even burnt all the hylomar off.

Anyway sadly I think I have gone far enough with this, I could chuck another motor in and sell it but chances are it wouldn't last long and id feel bad selling it if it broke soon after someone bought it. While I havnt found the absolute limits of our turbo kit its not far off being maxed and im amazed by just how much power is possible and ive learnt so much aswell.

The car will be stripped and sold off as parts to make way for other projects. Everything is up for grabs except some stuff like data logger and trans coolers etc. If I get a fair offer im happy to sell the entire turbo setup/exhaust/intake/fuel system+tune etc all as a package. Over the coming week ill make a list of everything up for grabs inc regod rolling shell.

Pics of death...

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ef falcon

NSW, Australia

You've tempted me into my first post...Awesome stuff, big numbers and a big finish!!! Bit of a shame but everything ends.I look forward to a new project from you Will...Keep up the good work!!!

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Thanks man definitely ended with a bang :lol: Yea I will have a few new projects soon. Welcome to fordmods haha

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next