Fordmods Logo

Uncle Toby's EF Futura 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Uncle Toby's EF Futura
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:11 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF Futura, Ka

NSW, Australia

This is my '96 EF Futura. Performance wise it is stock other than a 2.5 inch exhaust.

The car originally had stock wheels with boring hubcaps so I got the wheels of my dads EB S before we junked it. http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8089/mycar1gc6.jpg

When I got the car there was a phillips head unit sitting in the dash but nothing was wired up. I wired it up but it couldn't play burnt cds and the aerial plug was wrong so I was stuck with only playing bought cds. So I bought a new head unit. It's just a Sony Xplod but it was displayed as $229 and I got it for $139.

This is my sub and amp and custom floor section I made it out of MDF and it's temporarily covered in some boot carpet I had laying around until I get some proper carpet. The Sub is a 350 watt rms Response 10" sub I got cheap second hand and the Amp is an old US Audio one which I think is also rated at 350 watt rms.

Future plans are lower it a little, maybe get extractors and reground cam, and over time im gonna upgrade the audio system. It currently has Xplod speakers that were in there when I bought it but I will replace them with some splits for the front and some better coaxials for the rear. Im also going to Dynamat the front doors.

Post subject: Re: Uncle Toby's EF Futura
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

nice car mate. i wouldnt bother re carpeting that. that carpet makes it look more factory imo

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

BF XR wrote:
nice car mate. i wouldnt bother re carpeting that. that carpet makes it look more factory imo

yes and no, using boot carpet on your boot install a great thing to use in my opinion not only a perfect match, but also really good to work with apply a little heat and you can mould it to what you want.
But you can see he's missed a spot guess he ran out so may as well have another crack at it, but that being said, I'll believe it when it happens if he's anything like me, I still need to redo mine, 6-12 months since i said that, haha.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

The custom floor section in the boot looks good man, would be cool if the boot carpet and the carpet on the custom part was one whole piece of carpet. It would look awesome i reckon and look almost stock. Good idea with the boot carpet too, it does match well.

Sounds like you got the right plans ahead for the Futura, set of extractors, mild cam a bit of intake work and she'll be getting up a bit quicker. Nice low ride height and remove the mudflaps and it'll look mean!! But thats me lol

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi, and welcome to Fordmods.

The EF looks like a nice tidy unit, and a great daily driver that you can customise to suit yourself.

I look forward to further progress.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:18 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Hi Uncle Toby, Welcome to Fordmods. I had one of these in sparkling burgandy, it was my first falcon. there are a great car as a daily driver and go well to begin with, without any mods.

How many kays has it done?

A good mod for you imo would be finding some replacement side mirrors in white (or paint them), then everything on the car will be colour coded and be on the way to making it fairmont spec.

Thats if you want to make it fairmont spec?

With the EF bonnet your car is a good candidate for the XR front conversion but is a little expensive, so may not be able to do it yet.

Cheers

Josh

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Thanks for all the replies guys :)
The car has done a little over 250,000 so I guess it's due for the head gasket soon.
The main reason I want to re-carpet the back is because I didn't have quite enough to fully cover it and there is a seam in it which looks ugly. Thanks for the idea of using heat to mould it easier, that will help when I redo it.
I have one white and one black mirror but the white ones plastic is cracked. So I might just replace it with a black one, or maybe a white one and paint the black one white to match.
I probably won't do the XR conversion because there's other places that I would rather spend the money. If I can find a cheap leather interior form a wrecked Fairmont or something I might put that in but that won't be for a while.
Thanks again the kind welcome.
Uncle Toby

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Today my dad and I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and serpentine belt. I also wired the front speakers up to the amp.
One thing I noticed was the box for the air filter said "EB-EF V8". It fit the airbox perfectly so is there any difference between the I6 and V8 filter?

Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No difference. The EB/ED V8s use the same airbox. It was carried over to the EF/EL models.

BenJ

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

But of an update.
The car survived a 2000km round trip to Brisbane with no dramas a couple of weeks ago. The only issue is brake shudder. It was doing it before the trip and is now getting pretty bad.
We are going to take the rotors off in a few days and get them machined so hopefully that will fix the shudder. I have a few questions:
Before we do it is there any tips for removing the rotors or is it pretty straight forward? My dad will be doing most of the work and he usually knows what he's doing so we should be fine.
Will machining the rotors most likely fix it or will we probably have to fork out for new rotors?
Should the rear rotors also be machined?
and im guessing the pads should be changed aswell?
Thanks, Uncle Toby

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Usually when you get brake shudder its most often the rotors at fault. As long as they have enough thickness left in them to be machined they should be fine. There is a minimum thickness the rotor can be before it has to be renewed cant remember off the top of my head what it is though.

Its probably better to change the pads at the same time too, i dont know about other people but i never run the same pads after the rotors have been machined.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

will be front rotors..... shudder through the steering wheel is usually the fronts, and shudder through the pedal is the rears.

might as well replace the pads at the same time. Just do the fronts and see how it feels after that

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yeah its through the wheel mainly. I'll do the front rotors and pads and see how it goes.
Thanks for your help.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I have done done a couple of photochops of my car. First is an idea of how I would like it to look and the second was just for a bit of fun.

Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

While the EB GT wheels look great, they are very hard to locate. They didn't get made as copies, and real ones are quite expensive. I would love a set for my EB Wagon.

BenJ

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next