Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: What the Dog has been doin'
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Right I haven't been here for a while as I have been a "away".
I have spent the last 12 Months completely rebuilding a ute for my wife. No I didnt rebuild a Ford though. I actually completely rebuilt a Holden. No I haven't changed sides, just the original deal was one I couldn't refuse. Now I am posting this so that I can show people what I have been doing. If you've got no constructive criticism then I don't want to hear it. Comments like "All Holdens are pieces of s**t" do no one no good. A man much smarter than me once said " A nice is a nice car, generally it's an owners attitude that stuffs a car". Anyway enough ranting, on to some pics.
The original ute. It's a WB one tonner, 202 three on the tree with a 10 bolt salisbury diff. Alloy wheels all round with near new tyres and it ran pretty well. Total cost: One box of West End Draught cans which I helped consume.
The cab after removal. Tinworm had had a huge party so the cab was deemed stuffed so I sourced another.
This was how we had to bring the other ute home. Lucky we only had to tow it a short distance.
I cut the tray off at the back of the styleside wings and boxed the rear in creating a kingcab. Before this process was completed though, an EF fuel filler flap and associated panel was sourced from a wreck. I welded this in place and wired up the electric solinoid for popping the flap open. All rust (what little there was) was repaired.
Work could then start on the chassis.
This was completely stripped, and every suspension bush was replaced. Shocks were replaced and the rear springs were replaced with ute items rather than one tonner units. This was to make it ride a bit better. Everything was detailed as it was replaced.
Next work began on the front sheetmetal. As it was dismantled it became apparant that almost all the front end panels and radiator support were beyond repair. The decision was made to junk everything but the stonetrays, the bonnet and one inner guard. A WB Statesman front clip was acquired for the princely sum of $325. This turned out to be reasonably rust free and was repaired fairly quickly.
Time to think about a driveline. I've always had a softspot for the 253 and a chev was out of the question financially. Also this was to be my wifes shopping trolley to try to keep the ks down on my Turbo. So I sourced a blue 253 from ebay. Cost: $150 and it came with everything except extractors. A mate was selling an Aussie four speed from bellhousing back so this was acquired for $100. Then everything was rebuilt. As I am an engine reconditioner by trade this was second nature to me BUT I didn't do it. My wife did all the cleaning and assembly except for the porting of the heads and the fitment of the geardrive. Choice of colour was also hers.
Paint time. Colour is Ford Mercury Silver and was sprayed by a good mate. Cost of painting: two bottles of Beam which I helped consume.
Engine meets Ute for first time:
Front end goes back on:
Time to find an interior. The original bench seat was binned and Commodore executive seats shoe horned in. A complete Statesmen dash complete with aircon was persuaded to fit. Finishing it off is a BA interior light. Beleive it or not, the steering wheel was unbolted from a TC cortina complete with boss kit and bolted straight onto the Statesman column.
And it gets a tray. Completely custom made. Sides still to come.
At this stage it needed colour sanding and the exhaust manufactured. This has been done, but I have no photos at this stage. The most impressive part of this build is that the whole lot was done in my 3 car shed out the back and nothing was farmed out. Also my wife did much of the grunt work including the welding, grinding, cutting, swearing and drinking. Total cost to date has been about 4k. Still on the shopping list is a 5 post bullbar. Waiting in the shed to be fitted is a 4 inch rollbar, stoneguards and mudflaps.
Will update with photos as they are taken.

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Last edited by The Dog on Wed May 20, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What the Dog has been doin'
Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

hi there excellent work there so far it has turned out wonderful, nice choice of colour, and nice choice of the rear tray,

keep us up to date...

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Nice work, looks the goods too.

I respect anyone who puts in hard work themselves on a car, not being a chequebook builder.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: slammed EL

Power: 120 rwkw

SA, Australia

8-) great work there bud its come out looking tops.
hope we can all see you soon mate.
take it easy. :lol:

Ford Motor Company
FoMoCo

Holden Motor Company
HoMoCo

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

Trade? :D I have a soft spot for WB's. I'm getting more and more used to the cabin the more i stare at it, Great work!

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

great work on that man, looks tops!

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks guys. Was a bit worried I'd get the one eyed responses if you know what I mean :? . It's actually quite rewarding to start with what was a stock piece of crap and create something a little different. The final accolade (at the moment) is that it was registered on Friday the 13th (lucky huh) and driven for the first time that day. Did the 80k trip from Naracoorte to Bordertown flawlesly and then on the Saturday from Bordertown to Kaniva and back for a car show (not a ute Muster). While there she garnered a second placing for "Best Aussie Other" which isn't too bad for a ute that isn't finished 8-). Have had two problems with it though: Cost $20 to do the 40k trip to Kaniva and another $20 to come home. Turns out the Auto choke on the quadrajet was stuck on :roll: .Needless to say it hasn't even got a choke now :twisted: . The other is that the tray isn't heavy enough or the tyres are too skinny. Traction is just too easy to break :twisted: . Have got a set of 7*14s and 8*14s on their way. A nice fat set of 265s on the back should solve that problem :P

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:
I respect anyone who puts in hard work themselves on a car, not being a chequebook builder.

+1 to that ^^^

and also goes to show how cheap things can be when you get in do some hard work.. oh and having mates lol

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Thats looking superb.....You've done a fantastic job!
Can't wait to see it B&S'd :D

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

I love what you did with the back of the cab, its very different, but it looks good. Nice build.

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Pwnage Pwr!!

SA, Australia

Ahh very nice, I think thats a Holden any ford nut can appreciate! because of the time and effort that has gone into such a project!

Very good sir! :D

Adelaide Motorplex < Click on it! You know you want too!
ED HP AU XR6, Wade, T5, and all the usual stuff!

Quote:
Thats not the point *a**hole

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Looks tops, only part I'm not a fan of is the tail lights but being a trayback ute there is definite lack of options. Good work on all the body work though.

I must ask, is there a thread on your xh ute somewhere? /any closer pics of the checker plate skirts :)

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The tailights look heaps better with the two 3 and a half tail pipes coming out underneath either side of the number plate. Also will improve with the addition of some mudflaps and some big rear tyres.

As far as my ute goes, yes there is a thread here somewhere but I was going to start a new one as this build hasn't been idle either :wink: . Search for something like "the ute at night" I think.

Hey Freak good to hear from you mate. Been a while. Will have to catch you in Adelaide oneday.

Thanks for all the comments fellas. To get them from a Ford site is making my wife really happy......and happy wives are good wives :twisted:

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Nice ute mate, bout all you could ask for on that is a bit more rubber on the rears and sh'ed be sweet. Love the old holdens 1 tonners.
skidder wrote:
Looks tops, only part I'm not a fan of is the tail lights but being a trayback ute there is definite lack of options.

Haha, lack of option for a trayback ute. :lol:
you've got nothing to fit them to, you can pretty much do as you please, round oval, square, rectangle, lots of lights, minimum; A mate of mine even has a pair of style side taillights that curve around mounted sideways under his tray on his lux.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Mazda CX-5 & 96 EL Falcon

SA, Australia

wow looking nice great job done on restoring it to a great condition, the first car i ever drove was a LH Torana GPak, i think i know where it is and I am tempted to see if I can get it and restore it

My EL Gli.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next