Fordmods Logo

XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!! 

Page 19 of 22 [ 323 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post subject: Re: XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!!
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

razza01 wrote:
This is like my favorite tv show, I cant wait for the next episode. Great work mate.

What's TV? I'm too busy watching threads like this one when I'm not playing with my car's or at work! :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

do you have ideas for the door trims, they are the only part looking out of place.

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

Thanks fellas :D

Yep, once she's all running and back on the road I'll put some attention into the doors. They will end up with the NL fairlane door cards. Will do it after Powercruise.

All my time and effort atm is making sure the ute is running for that!!

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Today I finished off as many little jobs as I could on the ute, before the big moment arrived – it’s tow truck trip to Streetbuilt Racing.

Started by figuring out where the gauges needed to mount. Couldn’t mount these straight up, as I still had to fill the gearbox with oil and mount shifter etc….so did that. Put the tail shaft in. Trial fitted driver side headers so I could see what needed to move – had to move the starter motor wiring. Checked out where the handbrake setup was going to hit the exhaust – it might be ok – but it’s very close. Time will tell.

Connected Steering rod to make it easier to move. Noticed my steering column was 180 degrees out, so removed all that and swapped it around (upside down when wheels were straight). Put on my new MOMO wheel – better condition than my old one.

Did a bit of the engine bay wiring and loaded the back of the ute with all the spares required to finish off the ute…then it got towed :)

Ready to roll…!!

Not much left to do… I’ve left it in the hands of the experts now. I still have a few things from my end to do – some more wiring and misc bits and pieces…

I’m hoping I’ll be around when the key gets turned for the first time. I’m hoping for no issues, but will be much easier to fault find if I’m present!! :)

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I’m sorry to say I have no pics of the car for once!! *relief*

This morning took the exhaust system and a few other bits down to Streetbuilt Racing so the boys could apply the finishing touches… This finally allowed me to spend some time cleaning my shed!! It’s only been about 5 months coming!!

Was relieved not to discover any lost bits I about… As of tonight I can now fit 2 cars in there!! :) – and I can finally find most of my tools again :P

Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Great work man, that looks like something I need to do in my Shed, clean it up lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Just a small update to keep this thread alive…. There is stuff happening behind the scenes!!

I spent last Saturday in at Streetbuilt Racing finalising a few electrical jobs. Was hoping to put the gauges in, but spent most of the day relocating some of the engine loom bits; TPS and Idle control – moved to driver side. A few unused plugs got deleted, then just a general tidy up. Finished the MSD wiring and water/meth control done. Electrically, the car should be ready to run – that’s if I haven’t made any mistakes… time will tell.

Jeff has put the fuel rails in (SN95 rails off a mustang), and put the threaded fittings on. Came up looking great. The other problem is I wanted to run my heater etc with the KB. Normally the tap will foul on the KB. He also installed some AU heater hard lines, and relocated the tap behind the manifold… awesome.

Some pics…

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Due to a combination of being tired, needing to spend time with missus after so much invested in the ute (especially last night!!), combined with 64k of bandwidth on my internet cos I'm capped atm; I leave you all with this as my update.... :P

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR51GDnpCks

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Ok, I’ve used my 64k of bandwidth and managed to get some pics up. Quick update as to what went on over the past week or so…

The Streetbuilt guys (Jeff) did a fair bit, and left me a ‘to do’ list to work on whilst I was in there in my spare time. My intentions were to wire up the gauges etc, but I ended up spending a bit of time under the bonnet – which I enjoyed!

Some progress shots from Jeff’s handy work…:

Water/Meth injectors drill & tapped into manifold

This is me testing the length of the supplied belt from Kenne Bell…. With a smaller pulley – perfect

Snout support re-drilled and secured to Power Steering bracket

Extending bonnet release cable… (thanks local bike shop for the $8 in parts)

After I’d finished what I could do, I left it in this state for Jeff to finish off:

We were only waiting on a few fittings, new leads, blower pulley (small one), and fill everything with fluids…

After advising I’d be able to make it in to the Shop Saturday night to help finish it off/start engine for the first time, it was an awesome surprise to turn up Saturday arvo and see everything was done!! :)

Not without hiccups. Apparently the starter motor was not starting. *Damn*

Jeff was hoping I had some funky way of starting it/had an immobiliser on…. Not the case. Noticed the ‘exclamation mark’ illuminating on cluster whilst trying to start. A quick google, and find this is the inhibitor switch indicatior (i.e. Auto not in Park/Neutral or Manual in gear).

I was pretty annoyed, as all my wiring was well hidden and partly deleted. I must have overlooked these wires… :/ Anyway, I spent an hour or more trying to find the relay responsible – but eventually just made a jump wire to start it. Woo hoo…

Fired into life. Such RELIEF!! Chad had loaded Jeff’s old tune into a quarterhorse already, and the ute was idling very nicely. It seems ‘too good’. We soon noticed the temp rising, and a minor coolant leak. Shut down, re-tighten the culprit hose and fire back up. Temp still rising….. – notice the thermos weren’t on!! Damn

I KNEW the thermos worked – I watched them turn on KOEO whilst I was testing a few weeks back. While the car was running, I reached down to check the plug behind passenger light – that was a mistake… Got a massive ZAP from the coil. Was actually 4 or 5 ZAPS. F^&*ing hurt like $hit!! Everyone heard it in the shop, as it was pretty loud… so we shut it down. There 1 tiny bit of copper strand exposed from the boot of the high tension lead. We fixed that, but I won’t be game to do that again… my arm is still tingling. After experiencing 40,000v odd from MSD, I reckon a taser could be fun.

After drying my eyes, I went back to figuring out why the thermos weren’t on. Spent about an hour or so, then eventually started changing relays randomly. I confirm none of the relays behind the passenger side had failed. I *think* it was the one in the cab (RR DEMIST?). Anyway, it was all good. Temp had normalised! Woohoo

Final test was the water/meth. Disconnected the output hose from pump and put a test hose in (into a bottle). Set voltage on controller to 1v….fail. No water.

Stuffed around for another hour or so trying to find why it wasn’t working (could see MAF was working as the quarterhorse had a readout). Could only be 1 thing – I wired it to the wrong pin. As much as I hated it, I undid the loom on passenger fender, and found the MAF wires. Metered out all 4 whilst ute running, and confirmed I used the wrong one. I’m spewing about that, as I spent ages on corral.net trying to *confirm* I had the correct one…. Oh well…

Fixed that, taped loom back up and retest… sweet. I adjust for 2v (for testing), got Marty to stab throttle – meth pump on/pump off….sweeeet. All good.

I was about to call it a night (was about 1am), and *someone* “suggested” I put the clutch cable in and test drive it. So I did this. I must admit I was very nervous… Was told do not rev past 3k and Chad took all the timing out… It was only a quick spin, but it was enough to make me lose sleep with excitement!! Haha LOVED IT!! Totally different car, and the twin plate clutch is wicked. At around 2:30am we all called it a night (and a good one it was…)

Went back yesterday arvo to thank the guys again, and take a few pics in the daylight. I wanted to also look at another EL in the shop to compare my starter relay (was really bugging me that I couldn’t get it going)… Figured it out in the end – basically needed to short one side of the starter relay to earth (the earth wire is ‘switched’ with the inhibitor switch on box) – once this is done, it now starts with the key!! Woo hoo

As far as I know, *touch wood*, there are no more wiring issues. I’m pretty damn wrapped about that, considering the loom swap over etc, as well as being over the moon with the components used. I have been collecting parts for this build over the last couple of years, and some bit 2nd hand (MAF/injectors/MSD etc). They appear to be working A-OK. While ute was running the other night, I tried the climate control – it all seems to work as well – swaps to feet/face/demist etc… :)

Some shots I took yesterday:

Sorry about the epic update novel… Just trying to share our experience over the week. A lot has been accomplished thanks to the guys at Streetbuilt.

I believe this thing may be getting booked in for a tune this Friday… You all know I’m excited :P

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

Looks like a lot of hard work is starting to pay off. I've followed this for a while and the attention to detail (in the car and your posts) is awesome. Great read.

Now that you're nearly finished I'll send you my XH and you can do it again haha!

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Congratulations mate! Your hard work and effort has paid off, looks absolutely stunning!

We need a "seriously green with envy" emoticon on here :lol: :lol:

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Congrats mate! That is epic, it's running, and it sounds wicked! Great work. It's always very rewarding to get to drive it the first time!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Thanks everyone :P

Some stuff I forgot to update on last week;

Took some pics of the underside; you can see how close the handbrake lever I made is to the exhaust. It’s a little too close, as it hits when handbrake is applied fully. I’ll play around with this at a later date, or source a full EL wagon setup and change it over.

Also finally mounted the gauges up. Boost, Wideband and Oil. The worst part is marking, and drilling the holes nicely so they line up – as I wanted them slightly offset from right to left. A bit of stuffing around, but got there in the end…

For now, final task was to sort the shifter boot. Although I cop some abuse for it, I’ve retained the VZ black leather boot/red stitching. Got it to fit nicely into the plastic holder. Used the 6 speed VZ knob as well, but am on the lookout for a BF type or similar… :)

I think it came up pretty well. Will get some nicer shots in the sunlight soon enough. The wideband is very handy, love it. Will install the new Alpine head unit when I get time (and paint the surround BLACK) – for now priority is still having it tuned. Had a few dramas last week, so it’s take 2 tonight :)

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

http://youtu.be/wdhgvg1dIc0

Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

So a proper update of last night….

The night wasn’t off to the best start. Jeff drove the ute to the dyno, and the headlights failed. They worked with the high beams on, so maybe a relay… Pulled out the wires on the high beam bulbs and ute was on the road again. I came straight from work and met the boys there (thanks to Chad for pickin us up).

Got it on the dyno and did a few runs. Chad was working his magic, and within an hour or so it was making around 340rwhp, and it wouldn’t rev past around 5000rpm. We thought it was a spark issue - sounded like spark being blown out.

Had a thought, and forgot to check the water/meth – thought it was spraying too much water and stuffing up the run – nope not that either….

Some more brainstorming…..

MSD. Say no more.

MSD Pro-Billet Distributer. This Shiny, useless POS has caused me no end of grief. Caused the ute to randomly cut out and die for no reason at all in the past – it’s done nothing but piss me off – not to mention how embarrassing it is to be at the front of peak hour traffic and the car dies for no reason at all….

So anyway, Chad raced home and picked up an old trusty Motorcraft stock unit he had at home. Coupled it with the MSD cap, set the base timing and off we went again.

Instant improvement! – would now rev to the limiter set on the Digital 6 – 5800rpm. If I didn’t like the shiny casing on the MSD, I would have smashed it last night. I’ll probably put the motorcraft internals inside the MSD.

It was great fault finding by the Streetbuilt guys; they knew almost straight away it was the Hall Effect sensor on the MSD. Saved us some headaches.

Chad cleaned up the tune, and final timing is now set to a conservative 16 degrees.

We tried to get the water/meth going (spraying straight water, purely to lower intake temps) – btw, intake temps were up around 210* after a few runs. I was running 2x375ml/min nozzles – before the blower, & after the Throttle Body. These were too big, as there’s too much water going in to atomise the air. Big reduction in power with the water on….Will order some 175ml/min nozzles and we’ll try again later… anything to lower the massive intake temps will be a bonus.

Went for a couple of test drives today…very impressive. The stock XH brakes are scary, so need to get the EL GT brakes on ASAP. Off boost, it’s so nice to drive – as if there was no blower there at all – but you can hear the whistle coming from the front, which reminds you the powers there if you want it ;)

Chad, from Streetbuilt Racing, has done an exceptional job of perfecting the tune. It’s one thing to make numbers up top, but to make it drive nice across the entire range is just awesome. Cold start today was also spot on….!!

The exhaust is waaaaaay louder than it was before. I will have to do something about it, as I’d prefer to keep my car on the road without a yellow. I’d much prefer noise coming from the screaming KB!! :) Might throw some BIG mufflers in there to quieten it down a bit.

Anyway, enough of that; pics

The paperweight

Motorcraft; reliable!!

The money shot

I have learned such a lot over the last 6 months, and it’s now crystal clear to me that high HP reading on a dyno don’t mean anything if you aint got the torque!! Making 650rwnm+ @ 2000rpm makes for an insane ride!! Good for scaring passengers as well ;)

Sort by  
 Page 19 of 22  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next