Fordmods Logo

XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!! 

Page 1 of 22 [ 323 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

Post subject: XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!!
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:07 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

Well it’s about time I actually made time to do a PROPER build thread on my XHII XR8 Ute.

I apologise now – this is a MAMMOTH read – or a novel.... Please skip ahead if you so wish to....!!

Firstly for a bit of background info (so you can see how my current ute got to where it is now). I used to own a 5.0L injected XF Fairmont Ghia. I first purchased the XF as a white stocker for $1800 back in early 2003 from the Gold Coast. It had a hot 250 Crossflow, T5, 3.73 gears, and immaculate Fairmont Ghia interior. I had it on a dyno and it made 178rwhp. The body wasn’t so good though, with a fair bit of rust. In hindsight I should have never bought a car with so much rust – as this was the end factor in me parting the XF out...

But along the way, the car was fitted with a full bodykit, lowered, 12 slotters, big stereo and all the usual mods. Finally in 2005, I was in Melbourne doing a course for 3 months, and the clutch blew. I was already well sick of the crappy 4.1L’s fuel consumption and wanted more power. I didn’t have long in Melbourne to do anything dramatic, as I had to drive back to Sydney in a couple of months. So for some reason I bought a wrecked XHII XR8 ute, with intentions of doing an engine transplant.. It was dark blue, with massive rear end damage, but the front end was sweet – and only 60,000kms on the donk. $3500 later I owned it – and began the strip. This was the first time I had really taken notice of Ford’s XH series of utes. I did some research and realised I picked up a bargain – being 1 of 624 made! This one with factory Cobra Intake too. I really liked the XH at this stage! So the transplant begun, in my mate’s tiny unit garage.

So with many problems encountered, I eventually had the XF running again – with it’s new heart. It was like driving a brand new car. The goal was to have this thing legal, so it was engineered – which was very painful. Eventually it passed – with 2 days to go before I had to drive back to Sydney! Conversion was completely done with all the XH wiring, dash, ECU, 4 Speed BTR, Smartlock, custom headers etc etc etc... I’m sure theres an actual build thread on the XF somewhere.

Obviously everything worked out, and the car was a lot more powerful, and A LOT more fuel efficient than the crossflow. After 12 months, I needed more power – so I upgraded what I could. This was my first experience pulling engines apart, but through lots of reading and some guidance from mates everything went to plan. The only thing I didn’t do myself was dial the cam in.

ENGINE SPECS:
Heads - GT40P with 351w Valves
Cam – Trickflow Stage 1
Pistons – Stock (Had to Notch due to higher lift cam)
Block – Stock
Rockers – Yella Terra Adjustable
Valves – Crane GT40 Double Valve Springs
Timing gears - Rollmaster
Injectors – 24LB EV1
Intake – Stock (GT40 Lower, Cobra Upper)
Throttle Body – 65mm AU (Was using 70mm BBK)

Unfortunately I never took any photos of the engine build. It took around a week (working on it after work every night), from pulling engine out, to putting back in. To my belief, it started first time – and sounded a lot meatier! A bit of adjustment on the dizzy, and quick drive – then the ECU learnt what was going on. I was pretty happy as this was my first time doing engine mods. The one thing I was worried about was the notching of the pistons. The engine builder that did the heads for me let me borrow an ‘old school’ ISKY tool which you fit to a drill. Then you mark how deep to go, and drill away into pistons (with bare heads fitted) increasing notch depth. I don’t think many people have seen these tools or would use them. It seems dodgy, but he assured me it would be fine. So just to make sure everything was right – a few tyres were put to early rest. And continued to do so for the next 4 or 5 years....!

Those pics were all taken on Private property!! ;)

Since buying the engine with 60,000kms I have probably done around another 45k on it. It was hard to keep track as I never corrected speedo in the XF with 3.73’s (read faster). These KM’s included daily driven to work, driven to Perth from Sydney (with a trailer) when I moved house in 2006. Been down the drags many times, and done many a burnout!! :) Fuel economy was great on the drive to Perth. Even with a trailer I managed 700kms/tank (80L). I finally got around to getting a tune done in Perth. It made 180rwKWs as it was, then after tune it made 201rwKWs. I’m guessing I bolted everything together ok during that engine build!!

All good things come to an end. Unfortunately, the rust was getting severe in the XF. Living at Scarborough (near beach) for a year or so didn’t help either. In 2009 I was just about over it! The BTR finally had enough – which I was spewing about as I had just fitted a new Hi-Stall. I picked up a T5z for sale in Perth, and was going to replace the Auto. A shoulder reconstruction from a weekend Rugby ‘shoulder pop’ put a stop to everything. I went back to Brisbane on leave (parents), and thought about what I was going to do...

Since doing the XH conversion all those years ago, I have since wanted a nice XH XR8. I though hard about my options with the XF. So much rust now (bodykits are bad), and pouring more money into it wasn’t an option. I could not afford to get the body fixed, and I had already spend WAY too much on it. So 6 weeks on leave all I did was look for an XH! I had been keeping my eye out for one over the previous year or 2, with intentions of putting the XF 5.0L into XH. I looked at many across the east coast while I was on leave. All were overpriced and/or rusty or paint damaged etc. Almost giving up, I found an immaculate XHII XR6 for sale at Mandurah (south of Perth) the day I came back from leave. I sent deposit before even viewing it. Went down and picked it up....

Old and New....

After a cut and polish, it came up a treat. It wasn’t a genuine XR8 as I so wanted, but it’s the next best thing. XHII, untouched or damaged – and I was always going to do an engine transplant. I can easily turn this into an XR8 mock-up. Just about every part I need I already have on the XF – minus engine mounts and power steering lines. Everything else is direct swap. I already purchased the T5z, so that was going into ute as well.

A pic of ute after clean up....

And the fun begins....(Once again, not much room to work with at this place either). I had a fair bit of help from a couple of mates as my shoulder was no good for stripping a car!!

Many, many nights and hours spent after work re-doing the dash and engine bay loom. (I’m an electronics tech – but still HATED this job). A few things were changed while it was on the XF, and thanks to a dodgy installation of the Alarm system (some place in Sydney) – many hours neatening that too...
Never AGAIN!!

The new ute carrying it’s new engine with T5z fitted (had a mate align clutch for me at his shop)

So much history, love and money.... This was a sad night!!

So after a month or so I gathered everything I needed (bought some engine mounts, power steering lines etc), and sold almost all parts of the XF I no longer needed. I still lost a s**t of money, but from the parts I sold I was only a couple $K short of what I paid for the XH. So I was happy. I get the car I’ve wanted for a long time, built the way I want it – for not much coin.

................more to follow..................!! :)

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Post subject: Re: XHII XR8 Ute Build - "FTR 008"- The FULL LENGTH Story!!
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:29 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

A Thursday night, feeling happy, my shoulder felt good to work, I had all parts and tools ready to do complete conversion starting tomorrow afternoon (the Friday). Stupid me, got on carsales for a routine check (at the time this was habit – checking for an XH), and I find this....DAMN!!

Genuine ’97 XHII XR8 Ute!!

As you can see from that picture – I couldn’t help myself. The Friday morning (the day I should have been doing the engine swap), I was transferring a deposit into the seller’s bank account. I spoke to him about his ute for sale. He had been doing it up, and with a new born he had to sell. The body was all done (6 month old paint), with a few unique features. Engine was tired – but what did I care – I already has this!! I thought long and hard – forking out all this extra cash then hoping I can sell the XR6 later. After seeing the build photos the deal was as good as done, and I flew to Melbourne the following weekend to pick up the new ute!

Mini-tubbed

BA Bulge

After being in Melbourne (I should say Frankston to be exact), I was happy with my decision. I wasn’t too concerned with the engine – it did feel tired. The owner didn’t hold back in telling me (and even showing me videos) of the ute at Easternats. He even took it into the burnout comp! The body was immaculate, very straight. New paint, hard cover, mini-tubbed, leather seats.... and the best bit of all – the cab space! Yes, cab space in an XH...!! :) There was no way I could have finished my XR6 off to the same condition for the price... It was a godsend. A few things needed tidying up – the engine bay, interior and tray.

I learnt from my previous experience – never buy a car with a bad body!! Let someone else do the hard work! So I washed the new girl up and got it freighted to Perth. I did not wish to drive – for risk of damaging the near new paint and not knowing condition of the driveline.

Those pics taken at a Melbourne car wash. I loved the Paint!!

So now the anxious wait for it to arrive safe back in Perth....

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Wow, that's a good read. Pitty about the Xf, but sometimes one good thing needs to come to an end to get onto another good thing....

Thanks for sharing with us, I really enjoyed the story, nice to see someone else playing like I do. My build thread is already rather long, and there is probably only 3/10th's of what I've done over the years in there lol. :D

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au falcon ute

WA, Australia

bloody hell , jelous much. nice one mate

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:56 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

So the ute arrives eventually, with only a few minor scratches on bonnet (very hard to see). Because paint was so new, it was easy to find any marks. Due to work I had to go away and never chased them for compensation. I’m going to drive this thing, and I can’t be bothered with small things. The paint really needed to be ‘blocked back’, but after speaking to a few panel beaters, the labour involved would cost a few K, so I haven’t bothered with it. You can see some slight ‘orange peel’, but it’s still a very nice bloody paint job!!

Before doing anything else, my goal was to sell the XR6. After a couple of days of it being listed on Carsales, it sold!! It would have annoyed me anyway to pull that car apart. Everything was original and in excellent condition. I’m glad I could sell it to someone that will look after it!

Since I was going to do complete conversion, I had excess parts now!! (Anyone need a genuine XHII XR8 dash/loom/ecu?? ;) – When I was doing my XF conversion someone would have paid VERY good money for what I had!) Anway back onto it – I drove my new XH around as it was for a month or so. I know engine was slower than my XF’s 5.0L, but it was fun to be back in a 5 speed – it felt quicker – probably because the ute was lighter too. It was a change having refined suspension and rack and pinion steering, after driving around in an XF for the last 6 or 7 years!

It wasn’t long, and I got sick of the stocko 5.0L, and went ahead with engine transplant. I started on a Friday arvo, and was finished on the Sunday.... PICS....

Early Saturday morning...

Seat out...

Mmmm look at that plush carpet....!

Tired old Windsor out...

Needs a bit of TLC

Waiting for it’s new home...
At this stage, I was still unaware of any damage I did – ‘decommissioning the XF’ the night before it got stripped – there ‘may’ or ‘may not’ have been a massive skid done (destroying the x2 BRAND new tyres fitted the XR6 to get it rego’d) :) If ya lucky might post a vid up later

The old Power Steering setup was leaking. Lucky I had already bought a new one to fit to the ‘XR6’

The old Firewalls.... s**t.

I had someone make this for me...(Painted it red before I installed it for good)

Scrubs up ok....

Old T5 box

New T5z Box. Notice the longer extension housing.

New engine dropped in. It was a mission trying to angle the donk with box attached and not hit anything on the way in (I didn’t have an engine leveller with the crane)
Some helping hands putting the engine mount bolts through!

Notice how the shifter hole won’t line up (this angle is looking rearward)

Jigsaw time....

Sunday afternoon, everything is together – minus a tailshaft. I knew this was going to happen – I eventually tried every size Ford has ever made and none fit. Will have to go custom....

So I’m thinking everything is all sweet.... everything is back together and it’s not even sundown! (And my newly reconstructed shoulder has held up ok!)
Wrong!

I think the ‘decommissioning’ has done something. Lots of LOUD ticking, even after a long warmup (engine was sitting outside for a couple of months). So I call my mate Jeff (XH5LWPN) for some confirmation on adjusting valve lash for hydraulic cams (remember, I’ve only done this once before!!) After doing this twice – and YES, that includes putting rocker covers back on, intake manifold etc I was F***ing over it!! I took Jeff’s advice and changed the oil. I should have known to have done this straight away anyway... I don’t think the old oil like being in an engine redlining for 3 minutes straight. I dumped the old stuff – and it STANK! Was definitely burnt. Changed to a slightly thinker oil – Penrite 15W40 (I was using 10W40). No lifter noise!! Woohoo!

Now all I need is a bloody tailshaft!!
Sunday night.....(at least its all back together)

I also did this over the weekend....its just the small things.

So the next weekend, I decided to concentrate on getting the interior sorted... Not before a couple of pics

Old interior. Ugly!

I always wanted a V8 ute with dump pipes! But the resonation was putting me off. I had purchased this to try and help that issue....(and it works!)

Cut those 6x9 speaker spacers away!!!
Flush mount – much nicer!!

I wanted to hide as much of the audio gear as I could. Amps under the seats, and this....
BTW, the sub is in the cavity beside the fuel tank.... the bass in the cabin is more than enough.

Just cos there’s a hole for them....

My old Alpine splits from the XF. The tweeters are mounted above seatbelt mounts, behind driver/passenger head

Rape tape. Is there anything it can’t do! (Dodgey – yes – but this was ‘tempory’ to make sure it all fit

Just waiting on new carpet to arrive from Melbourne

Ooop, here it is

Oh, and here’s the custom tailshaft...

So new shaft it, and off on it’s first drive! OMG it was AWESOME! :) Driving around Innaloo with no bonnet and a loud car turns heads! Was only a quick test drive, then car was bought back in to have the finishing touches (and the bonnet) done.

Everything felt good. The ute was very low at the rear, and the tailshaft used to scrub out when you put the power down. This no longer happened as the T5z was slightly longer, and nothing ever rubbed (and more power to squat down into)

The major problem at this time was the tune. Once the car was warmed up, it was fine – but when cold it was an absolute b**ch. Hated the cam! The XF was tuned with a switch chip eliminator. The catch code for the auto ECU was 6DGD. The ute is a manual with a 7TAA (or something- can’t remember right now). End story – cannot use programmed chip in new ECU (won’t start at all!), and cannot use auto ECU in XH. (Well it works, but it’s like the engine is ‘free-revving’ and has no balls. Maybe 40% of normal power...?

So I put up with this for a while, but eventually got sick of it! Also sick of people thinking you can’t drive cos the car stalls for no reason... as it turns out, SCT doesn’t support 7TAA (because there are not many V8 XH’s around – so they never supported them) – so I had to fork out for a TWEECER. This was tuned and made 288rwHP! I was spewing though – as the ute still has a speed limiter – and it was hitting 180km/h before it stopped making power... Maybe it’s got a few more horses left in it yet!! :)

Either way, I was very happy. Ute running like a dream, no stalling!! The mods at this point in time:

Engine – Same spec as it was in the XF – untouched.
Gearbox – T5z
Diff – 3.45 LSD
Exhaust – Pacemaker PH4000’s with twin 2.5”, high flow cats, high flow mufflers into twin dumpers

At this point in time, I was very happy. Even after the floggings this engine has taken, it still loves it! :)

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:43 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

It was time to enjoy the ute, so me and the misses went down to Margaret River for new years 2010. The ute actually wasn’t tuned by this trip, so trying to ‘idle’ in and out of the camp grounds was painful! Continual stalling etc... But still a good trip down and back.

It was not long into the new year the ute was tuned as per above...

After driving to work daily, getting ‘ok’ fuel consumption, and not too many teething problems – it was time for a BIG test! Long weekend over Easter – we decided to head north to Monkey Mia (8 hours each way). So we loaded the ute up, and off we went...
The first place we stayed was at Shark Bay – don’t do it! We almost got blown away. Too windy.

So we drove to the other side (Monkey Mia). Took some pics along the way...
Ute’s a bit dirty
Quite low at the rear with the camping gear

Monkey Mia was much nicer! I highly recommend it!

So after 4 days we head home to Perth. I thought everything was sweet. No problems with the ute. The rear suspension was a bit low, and on occasion due to the roads, the tailshaft would bottom out! Damn it!

So anyway, I took this pic. 3.45 gears and this is the RPM.

About 5 minutes after that photo – disaster!

5th Gear grinding like F***. So I pull over and check under the car for oil leaks or any damage. Its also nearly sunset, and I’m around 70km away from home.... I struggle trying to get back near the speed limit (babying the car and short-shifting). I sit on around 80 (110 zone). Getting honked and abused!

I stay in 4th gear as there was no grinding – only in 5th. Then I try to accelerate and POP!. There goes 4th! F***!!! So pull over again (pointless – I know), but just check everything and make sure the box hasn’t exploded all over the road. About 60km to go. Eventually I make it. Car GRINDING very LOUD by the time I got it home. Going 20km/h at least under the speed limit the whole way home – copping abuse from all angles.

Very disappointed I was! I spent a small fortune for a Reco’d T5z box, plus spent another few hundge adding the bits to make it work in the ute (tailshaft, clutch etc etc). I am putting it down to 2 things – driving with a full load in the back, and overtaking in 5th gear – which would have caused great heat in the box. An engine also putting 300+++ flywheel horsepower ain’t too good for a T5 either. Second thing is the tailshaft bottoming out due to weight in the tray – I’m sure that didn’t help....!!

So for now the ute is off the road... A crappy ending to an otherwise good weekend!

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:32 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

After I had composed myself and resorted to the fact that coupla thousand bux on a new gearbox is wasted after 8,000kms of use – I decided to ring the expert Mal Wood. He gave me 2 options. Send me a replacement T5z and risk doing the same thing (he doesn’t recommend using T5s for 300hp + engines), or bite the bullet and go with a T56. I slept on it a few nights...! Asking not for permission, but for ‘opinion’ from the misses - She said “what happens when it breaks again?” So that made my mind up. Everyone knows how much the Mal Wood kit is. Not Cheap! :(

So I purchased:
- New T56 box
- Bellhousing
- Clutch
- 27 Spline Yoke
- Sandwich Plate
- Starter motor
- VDO speedo corrector box

At this point in time, I had already spent more than I wanted to on the XH. This was more of a ‘necessity’. Money being the main reason – I opted to stick to a cable clutch setup (instead of the Mal Wood Hydraulic type). The only real problem here being the starter moves to the driver side, and clutch cable needs to reach to passenger side. So a week or 2 later, everything arrived.

Unfortunately for me, I had to go away for work for a month or so. As much as I really didn’t want to (and I will never again) – I paid to have box installed. I swear this ute has a curse – more problems. I never had any major problems with the XF!!
The Pacey PH4000’s foul the starter motor. More money that I didn’t have (as well as labour $$ for box fitting), I had to buy a set of DiFilippo’s – which isn’t such a bad thing!! ;) Of course fitting them was extra, then getting my new exhaust changed again was more money...!! The original quote to have box installed doubled in price – and that’s not including the cost of the headers. I saved some money by installing the VDO box myself. The T56 also has a reverse lockout solenoid in it – so you don’t accidently go into reverse instead of 5th gear! In the new falcons/commodores this is wired to an ECU signal so under a certain speed it will engage. I wired mine to the brake lights (must have brakes on to go into reverse). Some people hook switches up too...

New Headers. Not much room – I think I’ll have to have one of the pipes re-routed one day – hopefully before it melts my starter!

VDO Box

I used an old speedo transducer connecter and spliced onto T56 wires. This way I don’t have to chop my XH loom

Ready to go

The VDO box itself is pretty easy to calibrate. Just drive (or have someone drive), and turn DIP switches on/off until you get the ratio you desire... Once happy, screw lid back on!

Changing to a T56 has basically just cost me as much as I paid for the whole ute!!! :( (....ALMOST)
After having to re-draw a little bit of cash from the home loan – something I NEVER wish to do – I copped it sweet. Can’t change anything now – but would not want to!

Well not wanting to take ANY chances with such an expensive new gear box, the ute was taken straight to WA Diff centre. These guys built my XF diff with 3.73s/new centre/28 spline axels 2 years earlier. I hadn’t done many KM’s in the XF since then, so the diff was still quite fresh. (BTW, I also kept my old diff after stripping the XF ;)). So these guys put the guts of the XF diff into the ute diff. Apparently the old centre was rat-s**t. I’m sure the Easternats had something to do with that!! :)

So now the ute had a bit of get-up-and-boogy about it. For a couple of weeks I was driving without the centre console (and just a hole in the floor) – just until I could fit VDO box! And boy did it sound TOUGH! New FAT headers, dump pipes, and all that noise coming through the floor! With 3.73’s it was like driving a new car. The box felt unbelievable! I just love the short throw, slips into gear VERY easily – and the ute just DID NOT want traction! Was a pleasure to drive. Mind you my fuel consumption got worse for a week or so!! :)

You can see what the ute was revving like @ 100km/h with 3.45 gears... ^^^ --- Well another trip back down to Margaret River changed all that. Now with my 3.73’s in the back, 6th gear on the freeway @ 100km/h has me idling just a tad under 1550RPM. For a 600km round trip, my trip computer told me I used 9.3L/100km!! :) This T56 is going to pay for itself! – no not quite.... ;)

Wanting to have the ute’s driveline safe and strong (engine, box and diff now all done), attention turned to brakes. As much as I’d love some 330mm Rotors up front, some DBA Cross-drilled/slots will do for now.
Someone can buy these once I get my 330mm brakes!! :)

Unfortunately, after changing rear pads, one of the callipers was still ceased. I’m no brake expert, & didn’t want to take chances – so got both rears overhauled. Brakes are now ‘ok’ – but just don’t seem as good as they should. I’ve driven other XH’s and EF/EL’s – and there’s still something up. I’m going to change the booster soon – I’m thinking the diaphragm could be collapsed.

Anyway, here’s some pics taken near Mindarie Mariner... (These were taken before the T56 was installed – and since doing so I had to sell the ELGT’s to help pay for the box!! :()

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:09 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

As I had previously done in the XF – I had retro fitted a EL Trip computer. It’s not too difficult, just follow the crappy Max Ellery’s wiring diagram! The hard part this time is I was running an AU centre console, and could not mount it there! This is what I came up with... (I sorta made it up as I went to be honest)

Standard:
Selley’s “Knead It”
Test fit
Painted that while I was waiting for other part to dry
Finished Product....

Before everyone yells at me – I will be changing the colour! I think red (chilli, same as ute). It’s a bit too bold – so may go back to a grey or just black.

It’s so much better having a trip computer ;)

After thinking I’ve sorted out most problems on the ute, of course I couldn’t overlook the suspension. For starters getting the a*** end up higher was a priority. I’d be p****d if my new box failed due to tailshaft hitting the floor! WA Suspension got the job – lowering blocks were removed from the back & leafs reset to around 1” higher than where it was. The front got dropped around 1”, with new springs and shocks. The rear also copped a whiteline swaybar (Falcon utes don’t have a rear sway bar as standard). It was hard to tell which mods did what to be honest – I know when the ute steps out now, the rear end doesn’t ‘slop’ all over the place anymore. I put that down to the swaybar for sure.

The only thing I didn’t like was the ride height at the rear now! The ute looked so tough being dumped at the back...

I wouldn’t have to wait long to find a reason to fix it.

I have been noticing a driveline vibration. Mainly in 5th gear as you enter an onramp on to freeway, but sometimes in 4th @ 60km/h, and def in 5th/6th at 110km + under load. WORRIED!! After chatting to the (very helpful) guys at WA Suspension, they re-adjusted my pinion angle about 2 or 3 times!! The vibration has ALMOST gone – but it’s still there.

It could be the fact I’m using the original alloy tailshaft again (my custom shaft is too short – the T56 box is around same length as a T5). Maybe the Alloy shaft is slightly dented from when it used to rub on tray floor. Someone else suggested it could be the dump pipes resonating underneath at certain RPMs (into thin alloy shaft) – sending vibration through driveline.

Well I’ve come this far, and not F***ing about. Mal Wood is installing a 2-piece this month. And a 2-piece means the rear end can be DUMPED once again!! :) I will update on this and let you know the outcome...! I am hoping this will be my last driveline problem (unless it’s ‘self inflicted’ ;))

One other minor thing I had to do was get the rear window tinted. The side windows were done (quite black too!), but the qtrs and rear wasn’t. I’ve noticed the rear-demister wire has come off it’s solder join. Does anyone know who can fix this? (My soldering iron gets no-where near hot enough)...

Since I sold my ELGTs, I’ve been rolling with these el-cheapo’s! I have some 19” GTP rims waiting for me in Brisbane- don’t worry! – Oh, forgot to mention – the ute has a MASSIVE task coming up – a 13,000km task! We are driving from Perth > Airlie Beach > Cairns > Brisbane > Sydney > Canberra (SUMMERNATS 24 Entrant) > Adelaide > Back to Perth... You reckon I might at least win “longest distance travelled” award? ;)

I’m sure with the T56 and existing results, fuel consumption shouldn’t be my biggest problem!

Anyway, a couple of pics taken (with s**t rims) - before rear reset, and front lowered

Some more – more so to see suspension as it is now (after 2-piece in, rear gets re-dumped). My camera has the worst quality in low-light!....

Once I get to Brisvegas, I’ll ditch the 16’s and put the 19’s on. I would much love to have some original rims instead of these, but I got em for $380 – so can’t beat that! Here’s a quick photoshop of what it will look like at Summernats.

These are some things that have been purchased, not fitted yet – but will be before Summernats 24 –
- Black Leather AU Console Lid
- Leather VY T56 Shifter and boot with Red stitching (Holden part yes – but you try find a T56 shifter!!)
- Single Din 7” Media unit (iPod/GPS/USB HDD/Bluetooth etc etc)
- New Alpine tweeters (I broke the driver side one putting them in)
- Polished Underdrive Pullies (am hoping between these and DiFillipos that I will crack or get closer to 300rwhp)
- MSD Pro-Billet Dizzy
- MSD Coil
- 9mm Ford Racing Leads
- Obviously 2-piece is coming.....
- On the lookout for a Red MOMO AU steering wheel too...Oh reason for not moving away from a standard style wheel has reminded me I haven’t really listed the car’s specs... I will do that now!

This is it as of NOW – I didn’t wish to put this at the start until you could see how it came to this! :)

Vehicle:
Make - 1997 XHII XR8 Ford Falcon Ute (only 624 built)
Colour - Chilli Red (Respray mid 2009)
KM’s - 150k odd on vehicle, 105k on engine.
Factory Options - Airbag, Cobra intake manifold (and not an explorer), Factory Manual.

Engine:
Power – 288rwhp (when tuned, with old PH4000 headers)
Heads - GT40P with 351w Valves
Cam – Trickflow Stage 1
Pistons – Stock
Block – Stock
Rockers – Yella Terra Adjustable
Valves – Crane GT40 Double Valve Springs
Timing gears - Rollmaster
Injectors – 24LB EV1
MAF - 78mm Pro-M Polished
Fuel Rails – Stock (for now)
Ignition – Stock (For now, MSD soon)
Fuel Pump – In tank Walbro 255l/hr Pump

Intake – Stock (GT40 Lower, Cobra Upper)
Throttle Body – 65mm AU
Lube – Penrite 10W40 (Changed every 5000kms since I have owned the engine)

Driveline:
Mal Wood T56 - 6 Speed Manual, Cable Clutch. Mal Wood short-throw shifter.
Gearbox oil - Redline
Differential- 3.73:1 LSD 28 Spline
Tailshaft – Stock XH alloy (with Mal Wood 2-Piece coming this month)

Exhaust:
Headers – DiFilippo 4 into 1, 3” collectors.
Cats – High flow 3” metallic (can’t remember brand)
Piping – 2.5” Mandrel Bent with X pipe
Mufflers – High flow 2.5”
Tips – Fo Sho! Exhaust dumped after mufflers, behind diff (also useful as now I can carry a spare tyre!)

Suspension:
Front - Lovels Coil-overs
Front Swaybar – Stock XR
Rear - Reset Leafs (2” drop)
Rear swaybar - whiteline
Nolathane bushes all round

Body:
Newish paint (as mentioned)
All holes deleted (welded) including radio antenna hole
Custom cab space
Boss Bonnet Bulge/Hump
Custom rear bar (twin pipes, numberplate in centre). Plastic bar, not fibreglass!
Slimline Harlid, lockable.

Interior:
Seats – BA Black Electric Leather XR
Carpet – Plush carpet over dynamat sound deadener
Door trims – stock
Dash – Stock, with EL Trip computer grafted in.
Cluster – Stock with white facia
Console – Black AU falcon, with Leather Lid. Leather gear boot.
Roof lining – Stock (needs replacing)
Audio – Alpine iPod unit (soon to be replaced by 7” DVD model), 2 x Avantgardi Amps (600w, 800w), Alpine 6.5” Splits, Alpine 4”, JVC 6x9’s, Pioneer 12” Sub (mounted in tray, in spare fuel tank cavity).

To do.... Listed above. Plus I need to fit tray with Marine carpet. I haven’t gotten around to it yet so hoping to have it done by the time I get to Canberra...!

Well that’s about it, up till now. Sorry to those of you that have read this monster, and see the same pictures from older threads.... my intention is to keep this one going as the main one!! (and delete the old!) As I get new new news or updates I will try and keep this thread up to date...

Also – many thanks to the people who have helped and given great advice to get me to this point. It’s helped me get the ute to what it is today! You guys know who you are!! :) Cheers! If anyone needs more info on certain steps along the build let me know I’ll go over them in more detail... ;)

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:21 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6

WA, Australia

Nice build thread mate, I especially like the lush carpet, the au console, trip computer mod and the B series xr seats. Imho I think the trim on the door trims, the checked pattern should be changed to something black, I reccon you take the door cards out and get replacement padding. Than way you can sell the pads you took off with your seats as a set. Then you use the replacement ones as a template and peel off the fabric, then go to a place like Spotlight or Lincraft. There is a Spotlight in Innaloo that's where I went. I did some thing similar in my falcon, if you want a pic let me know and I will send it to you. Keep up the good work anyway! Josh

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

such a nice ute bloke

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

WA, Australia

Nice build mate. I just did a T56 conversion from auto aswell. In a AUXR8.

who did your conversion? i got BPT to do mine.

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo, EF 5.0L V8 Turbo

VIC, Australia

Awesome ute mate!!
nice job on the build, i'd hate to imagine what its cost you... but i bet its worth it :)
Have you even run it on the 1/4?

EF V8T 11.54 @118mph

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Thanks guys

TKFD wrote:
Nice build mate. I just did a T56 conversion from auto aswell. In a AUXR8.

who did your conversion? i got BPT to do mine.

West racing (Mal Wood supplier in Perth). But like I was saying - wish I was home to do it myself!

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:03 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

xhxrsix wrote:
Awesome ute mate!!
nice job on the build, i'd hate to imagine what its cost you... but i bet its worth it :)
Have you even run it on the 1/4?

Hi mate, thanks! Yes, I'd hate to add up the cost too :(

No quarter yet - I was waiting to have brakes done. still meaning to get down to Kwinina.

I am hoping for high 13s. My best in the XF was a 14.3 - with a s**t 60foot (slug auto off the line). This car feels a lot quicker - and it's lighter so hoping to do better!

Got a set of underdrives to wack on too which should help a tad :)

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Got these in the mail today. Gotta love the exchange rate and the fact you don’t get RIPPED OFF when buying outside Australia!!

Got this for $10 off ebaymotors as well. I couldn’t believe the quality and weight of it!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 22  [ 323 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next