XHII XR8 UTE BUILD "WHITE KNIGHT TWIN" 

Page 2 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: XHII XR8 UTE BUILD "WHITE KNIGHT TWIN"
Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XH 1999

WA, Australia

Sorry hadn't updated this for ages. Few things to update

Well not much happened lately been trying to fix an annoying problem with my central locking. As soon as the locks start to engage it pops back up and unlocks the car. Been into the door panels seeing if anything is jamming still nothing.

I have found a upholster to redo my steering wheel so going to try that out. I found a leather momo for sale on a website so picked that up. Handy as it already had the cruise control and audio buttons already. Have to play with the wiring to get that all done.

Installed it looks the part, just less worn than the blue one.

The red will go better with the seats and when I start staining things black.

Update

As Perth drivers are pretty close to the worst drivers I have ever shared the road with in this country I found another fault with my car. I was nearly taken off the road by a driver, tried to blast with the horn but nothing. Luckily no damage was done.
Went to investigate the horn. Had to jump on here to check out the wiring manuals. Started to go through the wiring, wasn't impressed the previous owner obviously knew about the problem and didn't tell me. Found the horns disconnected so reconnected and was not so lucky. Still stuffed tried chasing some of the wiring but couldn't find the relay. C191 or something I think it was labelled. Going up to catch up with XF84 tomorrow so going to try and find the fault with it.

Update

Well had a day off last week so spent a day up with a mate working on the ute.

First we started to find the fault with the horn. We started at the horns and reconnected the wiring and pinned them out to make sure they were correct to ground.

We then had to go to the tech manuals to try and find where the wiring goes from there. Basically with the engine bay nothing was labelled so had to try and find the right relay. Found the relay pinned it out again. To horn was fine tried to steering wheel wasn't so had to move my fault finding to inside the cabin. We pinned out to the connector on the steering coloumn to the buttons on steering wheel nothing. Had me stumped so we stripped the steering wheel down. Pretty much came down to this.

Once we ripped it off I was left with this

Luckily mate had some spares so we were able to get a part and install and the horn was working again.

Big thanks to Al for helping me out with this one. Prior knowledge is the key. Also he came good with a new bonnet I will be acquiring from him for the car plus some other spare parts he had.

Update

Well its finally happening. I have put my order in for my Dart 363 motor from fordstrokers. Big thanks to Jeff from Streetbuilt again to help me with the ordering. Hopefully it should be delivered in 5-6 months from now. So have a few things to do till then. Tray, lights, interior, bonnet and fix up some bad spots in the paint.

All is going well found out I have a radiator leak going into the cabin. Pain in the **** I am told but a must fix.

Update

Well its been a while since last post.

Basically the ute has been the town sl*t. A mate had it for a few months while I was away and then another mate borrowed it. Was getting a workout going to the tip and back as been doing landscaping at a mates place.

The big news is the engine was fully paid for a while back its been on order now for 5 months so hopefully should see some build pics coming up soon. Then the date of delivery which will be awesome. Cannot wait for it to arrive, so I have been thinking of things to do while I wait.

While it the ute was out it broke down just before new years. Weird fault that I am still working on. So while its off the road for a bit to do some changes. Have decided not to mod the actual look of the car too much. So not installing the leather seats and changing up the wheels. After a close look found that the car is running hub adaptors so I am going to move away from that. Its bit of a shame as I picked up some nice wheels and tyres and was going to put them on and get my old ones cleaned up. But luck has it I am getting my hands on some EL GT originals. They will do for now.

So things I have done of late. Bought another momo steering wheel pics will be up when I install it as its a work ute at the moment I am keeping this pristine wheel on the shelf till its setup. I got another top plate for motor to replace the one I broke a while ago. That should be going on this week, also installing some HIDs as well, picked up a kit on ebay and directions were pretty easy so banged them in. Not too much modifications needed just cutting some plastic out of the light fitting to fit it. After driving to summernats in his XH found that the lighting was terrible that the ute provided plus it was pushing through a car bra. So I thought if I am going to do the drive 2014 better do the upgrade.

The kit I bought of ebay

Some of the install

Show of old and new.

I was draining the oil as well in last pic so thats why its on a angle.

Ran out of electrical connections so waiting for shops to open on Monday to get some other parts. I'll take a pic of the end product of the lighting but its already very bright. Got the inlet manifold off think may give it a clean up but nothing major as its all going.

Going back to original MAF and 19lb injectors for a bit. Not running the greatest at the moment. Will do a bit more work as got till start of February off. Looking at doing fuel system very soon as well.

Update

Got word of a TKO for sale so thinking of that setup. Gotta to sit down and do the sums but think its the best option so far. Full setup ready to install so cant really turn that away.

Would like a 6th gear especially for drive to summernats, but think I will only be doing that journey once a year if I can. But think I may have to go without.

Update

So got into the ute after a couple of days off. Had to get more parts from the shops and **** f@rt around trying to find them.

Got the injectors and maf changed over back to standard. Got a new manifold gasket and installed that. Had a work buddy over the holidays so helped me tighten up the bolts.

Cleaned up the electrical cabling and found I actually had a K&N filter already installed so gave that a clean. While installing the light came across a backyard garage install of a fresh air tunnell. Ripped it out and cleaned it up, probably just look for a replacement than trying to stick something to it. Was pretty poorly done and was a big GM stamp on one of the bits of plastic. Straight to the bin.

The end of the intall, have to wait to get back to work for some proper heat shrink to put over the connectors. But in the end pretty happy with the install.

Look of the lights standard beam on

With High Beam think I may have to get some stronger ones for that as well.

Still having the problem of it breaking down so back into garage today. Got some other mods as well today so things are slowly moving forward.

Plus I finally got my top plate for plenum just sorting out some screws now.

Update

Just got word that the motor should be ready to ship by end of the month or start of next month. Will post up pics when I get them.

THE COUNT DOWN BEGINS.

Now gotta plan the rest, sorting out fuel system with the help of Jeff from Streetbuilt.

Think that there may be a TKO going in.

Few more decisions to be done but hopefully will be there in a few months. Well the motor in for starters.

Update

Jeff from Streetbuilt hooked me up with a spare coil and his old Dizzy a very nice MSD.

Had a mate Peter come over to help out with the quick install and basically to teach me as we went along.

Bolt here and bolt there banged it in, made sure we labelled to make sure they were in the right spot. Quick change and started her up. Ran it for 20 mins. Good to go, taking it for a spin tomorrow after I let it warm up a bit though. Just to be on the safe side.

Also I have been **** f@rt around with some wheels. Been after these for last 5 months but came to the realization that having a big horsepower motor and hub adaptors isn't the best idea. So planning on selling them. Had a mock fitting to see what it would look like, think I might sell the Speedys instead.

Original FPV wheels and hub inserts. I got three a while ago and had to find one so got it from NSW or VIC can't remember. Then got them painted at Gas78. Thanks Dave.

When I got the rubber on them I am impressed. The 275's are big not monster big but big.

Might do a trial fitting tomorrow or day after.

Ohh seats are going on the market I found a alternative, as I don't want to have black seats and black steering wheel and then all grey interior.

Update

Well been a while I had things to sell things to buy and well the waiting game for the motor. Have been keeping the old girl running basically.

Didnt really like the look. White car on black rims just didn't blend that well. So they were sold got a decent price and hopefully the guy gets some fun out of them. Went on a BF ute I think black and orange so will mix nicely.

So I got a set of EL GT rims original of course and sent them down to get cleaned up by a local repair guy. Pick them up in the next day or two, trying to find a nice set of fat tyres to go on them. I got a set of 235/45/17 for front but think they might stretch a bit so might look for some 245 and may go some 255 for the rear. These will do till I get some paint and panel work done.

I kept playing with little parts here and there over the period. I started taking of the hub adaptors off. Ended up stripping two nuts on the actual hub parts so have to pop over to local tyre joint see what they can do. Pain in the **** really just want these out of my life. Hopefully that should go well and not too much damage when these get taken off. The front ones are gone now just the rear.

After this I decided to get into the door to fix the problem with the central locking. It started well but slowly stopped. I picked up a old EL door to replace both the locking mechanism and actuator. I replaced the actuator first and hoped it was that. Hooked it up no good. So started on the mechanism. All the arms had no give in them and was a pain in the **** to take off. I ended up braking the key lock barrel arm. Made out of plastic of course, that was the only problem. The door I bought had the key lock missing so couldn't fix it and the mechanism didn't have the key lock part so no real need. Might just get it shaved off later when I do some panel work. Quick tidy up and put it back together. Trialed it and happy with the result.

Next thing to do is fix a extractor leak and put the new wheels on. Should be interesting as room is small for spanners on side of motor. Also the big news is deposit is down for the gear box. Have a TKO ready to go once motor is here things should go quick if money doesn't dry up.

Update

Just got my new wheels sorted so pics will be up soon. Got Hub adaptors off finally so back to E series offset.

For engine 363 Liberator Dart Shortblock
Dart SHP Machined Block
Scat 4340 Forged Steel 3.400 Crankshaft
Scat 4340 Forged Steel H Beam Connecting Rods 5.400
Wiseco 2618 Forged Pistons (20cc, TFS) 4.125
Wiseco GFX Ring Package
Clevite 77 H Main Bearings
Clevite 77 H Rod Bearings
Dart Coated Cam Bearings
Screw in Oil Galley Plugs
Fel Pro Rear Main Seal
ARP Main Studs
Freeze Plugs

Trick Flow 185 heads CNC'd
This was a add on as I ordered 190s but they were discontinued.

Manifold is one I bought from Dale his old BBK manifold and throttle body so running that till some more money comes in for upgrades.

Update

Just got word today motor will be shipping on Friday. Have to get my **** organised.

Fuel, battery and few other things to get sorted.

Pics to come soon was told of the motor.

Update

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Biggest one so far...........

And its starts with a Pic

Its on its way shipping from States. So keen was jumping when got the email it was finished and packed ready to ship. Its still a wait but so happy with it. Gearbox is sorted and with some great mates might have a full exhaust sorted as well. Streetbuilt all the way for the win. Great guys who work there and great guys who go there for work.

Will be giving the girl a clean up this weekend to get some new shots.

Update

Got a few updates to add on soon. Nothing major just more tidying and cleaning. Got my new gear knob on and fixed the cracked headlight. Post up some pics.

I found a guy on here that was selling a Momo gear knob. Paid for it and he sent it over, only problem was there was no grub screws and it didnt fit the gear leaver. I took it into work and hit up a mate to replace the thread and find some grub screws. 6 pack of beer later it was easily fitted. It has some scratches in it so going to give a light sanding, don't need it shiny so post some pics of it this afternoon.

Next was the front light now this bad boy was a pain in the butt. Had to take the front end off pretty much to get it. And with all the screws that I didnt know about it took sometime. Once I could get into the light cavity I could easily rip out the XR assembly.

Then it was a simple pull apart the assembly and replace the cracked light.

Out with the old in with the new.

It was alot easier to put in just made sure I marked the spot where the lights were screwed into so when it goes back in it would be the same height.

After that job was finished I got into the leak from the extractors. This was a real doosey, as when I removed the air filter hose and assembly I found that the bolts used you couldn't get a socket around. So I spent the next three hours with a spanner in hand slowly taking the bolts out. When this was finally done with most of my hands cut on every sharp edge in the engine bay I replaced the gasket.
As you can see there was some leaks from the extractors

The working area for spanners

Once done I was impressed as all bolts were done up tight and no leaks. Job done.

I'll stick up some photos of the gear knob once I have finished sanding and cleaning it up. All in all things are coming along nicely.

End of my update on here should have another soon.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Those trickflows are bigger than the cc's suggest, should be a ball tearer mate.

Little dudes always want to help dad fix the car but it gets outta hand when he tells you what to fix lol.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Yeah I was stoked with the heads. Same flow as the ones I wanted but now CNC'd so alot stronger. Only three more weeks till it arrives.

And my work buddy is going well, keeps asking if theres stuff to do on the weekends now.

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:31 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Jackos80 wrote:
And my work buddy is going well, keeps asking if theres stuff to do on the weekends now.

There is only one problem with little work buddys, they grow up to be teenagers and then they won't do anything :lol: .

Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

So after waiting on some goodies from Summit I decided to get into the car on the easter weekend.

Pretty quick to come from the states, 2 O2 sensors and new fuel pump. Bit bigger for whats needed now but should be good to go for later.

So started out with the Catalytic converters pulling them out to replace this should have been a easy job but found some difficulties. I borrowed some ramps from a mate, and luckily they were 4WD ones, so my front bumper didnt like these. So moved back to wheel jacks.
Seems there had been some modifications to exhaust so a bit of extra welding was done.
Then going for both of them I found it was a common thing.
Had to lower the whole exhaust to get them out. Once out found that had come loose inside it. So down to exhaust shop for some replacements and new gaskets. Gotta get them tomorrow.
Don't think they would like me if I ran like this,
So moved onto the O2 sensors getting them out was fun. Pulled them out then disconnected leads. Grabbed my new ones then went back to packet. Great
So talked to some mates and they reckon you can legthen from wire loom end so going to do that tomorrow. Decent with a soldering iron so will bang that out tomorrow and go to exhaust shop. Should be back on road running fine tomorrow arvo.
Had to give it a start up without the exhaust, bit to loud as was getting looks from neighbors.

Next day got into it again
So Round 2 started early, had to get out of bed to find a exhaust shop open on Easter weekend. Called 5 places no luck, so ran to supercheap. Luckily they were open and bonus 20% off. Grabbed my 4 gaskets i needed for the exhaust and some extras. Got some of that electrical roll cover for the O2 sensor lead extension.

So I put the exhaust back together that took a bit as I was by myself under the car. Jacked up the end and this made it a bit easier. Exhaust back together and needed to do the O2 sensors to run and check leaks.

I cut the ends of the wiring loom and extended from there. Was a bit harder as I had to solder some ends in the engine bay. But first started making the extension up had the help of my assistance and all was going well till a bit of solder landed on his foot. He didnt like soldering much after that.

Made the lead up didn't have same colour code but just followed bouncing ball at both ends.
Bit of soldering here and made the length I needed.
Soldered in the engine bay.
Then used some of that electrical cable cover to cover the wires and run in engine bay.

Ran the car afterwards and seemed to idle a bit better and when revved the engine would nearly idle out afterwards, now it doesnt. Gotta see how it goes on cruise to check fuel usage.

After this I spent a couple of hours washing and scrubbing the body work, after a few weeks of working on the car the white paint work was looking pretty grey in some parts. So I scrubbed and scrubbed, some marks are staying which will probably come out with a cut and polish but think I will just wait out on that.

I picked up a touch kit of Dynamic white as I had a few scratches on the front bumper. Thought I would try it out as there were heaps of scratches. So sanded it for a bit and gave it another wash and sprayed. Not bad end product.
Before
After
In the end she turned out like this.
Pretty happy with it so far. There are some parts on the body wouldn't mind touching up but it will wait as only a few weeks left for new engine to arrive.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU2 XR8

WA, Australia

Hey mate, build going forth quite well. bet you can't wait til new engine arrives :)

Know Jeff chad and boys at Streetbuilt - won't go wrong there ;)

thinking of the fordstrokers SB myself. What was price for shipping?

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey mate,

Engine has arrived while I was away only got back from 8 weeks ago.

Will be posting up pics when I sort it all out.

Shipping was cheap think it was like 500-600, the thing that stings you is port fees. Cost me around 1700 as I was away and couldn't sort stuff out. If I waited till I got back it was going to cost a ridiculous amount to sit in a warehouse. Got a mate to pick it up.

Jeff and Chad are awesome and can't wait to get the motor in but will be a while as I gather all the parts I need.

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

shipping rate not bad. So, what was port fee for? - holding or for customs, or just a general handling fee. Any way around it? does customs tax come into play?

EMA engines also have the DART 363 for $6500, but doubt would be built to Woody's standard. Would only be the local freight cost though

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 86 XF Falcon ute

VIC, Australia

Good thread can't wait to read more about it.

Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Port fees were having it there and customs and little things. Could drop a few hundred off if you sorted customs out yourself but I didn't have the time.

All up the motor has cost me around 8.5 grand with heads delivered in my garage.

Be alot more to get it where I want it but thats why its a project car.

Its a fordstrokers dart build block I know its going to be quality.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

So I have spent the last 8 weeks away for work. Was very unimpressed that the day I left the ship arrived and my engine was at the wharf. I then had to try and sort out a mate to pick it up and payment. I was surprised as I was dealing with a agency in Sydney that could deal with customs in Fremantle. I didnt have the time or effort to chase this up for a local company. I gave a few guys a call to inquire about a few things. Ends up I could save a couple of hundred if I was back there and had a day to sort it out. But as I was away I thought stuff it lets sort it out now and get it home. A great mate sorted it out picked it up in the ute and dropped it back at my place. So now it sits waiting for more parts.

The surprise I got home to late Friday night

I was pretty keen to just get home, then I found out the missus needed knee surgery so no my plans have been back dated. So it will sit there a while I did manage to pay for other parts before. So thanks to Jeff at Streetbuilt I now have a Tremec TKO 5 speed complete ready to be installed once the engine is ready. Thanks again Jeff.

I was opening up the box and realized I wasn't the first to peep inside. Seems as though I had some visitors who were sticky beaking at what was inside. I seem to get a picture as well of someone caught in the act.

He gave it a spray to stop rust and wrapped it up. I had a quick look today and got my new heads out as well. Geez I can't wait to get this thing built and installed.

How it will sit for a while. Hopefully I get it ready for powercruise.

Trickflow 185cc CNC heads so shiny

So next few months will be sources the rest of the parts I need to get this engine ready.

A big thanks to my mates Benno and Brad also big thanks to Jeff with his help ordering the engine and supply of the gearbox. I am very pleased with Fordstrokers it does take a bit longer from the states but the end product is well worth the wait. And also a big thanks to the boys at Streetbuilt. Things are moving along and I am a happy man.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

looking good mate....soooo jealous

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: T1 TE50 P01

WA, Australia

Excellent work mate, Dart short block looks so very very nice. You did the right thing going with Woody you will not get a build of similar quality for that $$$ in this country.

TE50 T1 P01

Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

So things have been going well. Back into planning stage as finalizing fittings and engine parts.

Picked up gearbox, clutch, prop shaft, flywheel and mounting brackets. Pretty much everything I will need after the motor. Its a Tremec TKO 5 speed not the T56 Magnum I wanted but very happy in the end. I priced a full kit and it was way out of my price range for now. Got word of one for sale and jumped at it. Another bit thanks to Jeff from Streetbuilt
I picked it up last week and its now waiting for engine to be finished. A mate bought a wrecked XR6 turbo as well so I bought the bonnet. Want the steel hump for the XH that will be there for when I want to get the bonnet done.

Jeff gave me a heads up on a cam for sale perfect for the setup I want. Contacted owner and it was purchased, just have to head over and pick it up.

Now its only small things to go.
Will post up some more pics soon.
Only a few more things to buy things are getting closer.

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:24 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Another update of what has happened to date.

Basically my collection of parts is growing, soon I should have enough to take into Jeff to start the build on the engine.

Thanks to Colin for some great parts, also Al as well for giving me the heads up. Going to hopefully get some fuel systems done soon. Planning stages at the start but think I have the idea set.

First off the rank is MGW short shifter for Tremec TKO 600

Next up is SCT BA-3000

Some new chrome bits that will go in the engine bay and a 5" tacho that will be installed once the car goes off the road.

All of the laid out after I gave them bit of a scrub and clean

Some parts are still at work that I have to bring home. BA bulge bonnet, gearbox, intakes. Picked up the cam as well the other day
Thanks again to Colin and Al and advice from Jeff at Streetbuilt. Not long now....

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next