Fordmods Logo

XHII XR8 UTE BUILD "WHITE KNIGHT TWIN" 

Page 1 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: XHII XR8 UTE BUILD "WHITE KNIGHT TWIN"
Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XH 1999

WA, Australia

Well I thought I would start my build thread off here.

Background start is this is my first Ford and first ute. Previous cars have been two RX7s, Valiant Charger CL 770, Holden EH and my presently daily driver Audi A4 2003 1.8tQ. My second Rx7 I dropped alot of money on basically my first two years of wages and it was a massive lemon. Sold it a few years back and still feel sore from the beating I took from it.

Anyway moving up to newer things. I went to Summernats 25 with xf84, this started to get the ideas of doing up a tough V8. With the cruise over and back and watching all the nice utes I thought this could go really well. Plus they do come in very handy at the summernats

With xf84 knowing his car inside and out if I have a walking car manual for the model I said stuff it I'm getting one of them. Old holden utes just don't have the right look I want and these models are getting pretty rare, especially the XR8 models. After 3-4 months of searching I bought the just cars and unique cars on the drive home from summernats and went through them. Only one for sale but in QLD and asking price was high. I kept looking and got xf84 on the search as well. Pretty much a daily demon on gumtree and every other trading website.

He found one for sale locally, at that time I was in Melbourne. Being a top guy he went and checked it out for me, checking body out as I want a good base to start off with. Pics of it at first look.
Front of car pretty clean
Interior is nice and clean but want the comfort of leather anyone got any BA or earlier seats gimmme a bell
And the engine bay this will change but very happy with it

Its a good colour as xf84 has a XH longreach that was nicknamed the White Knight. This is the original white knight a classic.

Basically it was used as a work ute for last few years, I talked to a few other people and was told that someone North had it before that. Haven't researched much more into it.
Mods done when I bought it was
- Pacemaker Extractors
- Twin 2 1/2" Exhaust
- 19 inch speedy wheels
- Short shifter stick with newer knob

So as I was still in Melbourne I hit up a mate to go around with my missus to pick it up. They drove it home and said it conked out a bit on the drive. Thought to myself great just bought another lemon. He limped it home and then parked it in the driveway, there it sat waiting for me to get home.

After a few weeks I got back, talked online the whole time about plans with xf84 deciding on what would be first things to do. I'll post that later on.

Spent a day on the weekend cleaning scrubbing and finding things I would like to fix. Basically the body is great for the age of the car. Just a few small spots of cover rust, so getting into them very soon. The next day xf84 wanted hand to rip out the motor for his new upgrades. Thought this could be good might get some loan pieces. Pics of some of the day. Bascially got his 24lb injectors and new intake pipe with upgraded maf. This fixed the problem of it conking out as well. Such a massive upgrade for little modification. Went a bit overboard with the gasket glue putting the inlet manifold back on. But in the ned was happy as this will be fixed later on. Had a bit of trouble getting the screws from the plate off ended up breaking it.

Me driving it up to my mates place.

The two XH together basically it was a transplant of his old parts into mine. Borrowing of course xf84 wink wink.
The broken plate

More mods are planned will keep updating.

Post subject: Re: XHII XR8 UTE BUILD "WHITE KNIGHT TWIN"
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:25 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

So I have been doing my research as I have been planning, reading, talking to people and more reading. I have found the mods I want to do and the shops I will be dealing with.

Start will be Engine looking for a 363 Dart motor read a few other builds with guys who have done them and they seem to be the ducks nuts for engine upgrade without going overboard. So I am planning the build for that working with a local shop in Perth to help me iron out the needs for such a donk.

Second will be gearbox I want a decent gearbox as I plan to put out a few horses to the wheels in coming wheels and don't want to upgrade. Read up on the T56 Magnum as the choice I want strength and the 6 gears, if I decide to do the drive over to Summernats again this time in my car I want a nice cruise.

I have been planning the body and interior upgrades. Great read ups on the cab extension that is a must, dunno about the subs and stuff but you never know. Found a few seats here and there so should be able to pick up a set and keep them about. Want to fully rip out the interior and stain what I need to and do the cab extension. Once that is done put it all back in. Not liking the grey interior black may be hotter but will be worth it.
The bonnet bulge has me excited as well reckon they really show off the ford. I rang around for wreckers and some guy asked me if I was going to put it on a Holden, "Nah mate older model ford" all I got was ohh righto. Checked out the cheaper fiberglass bulge but found that you can get a decent steel bonnet so talked to local spray shop and he said bring it in he will make it up for me.

Thats all the planning so far, once I have locked in decisions I will post up.

If anyone has any ideas for Mods or parts I should look at post them up.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I'll probably check out how the tray remove the tub lineing to see if there is rust. Going to look for a hard top as well.

I went and talk to local spray painter when a mate dropped his car off to get a panel sprayed. Top guy talked about it and yeah the steel bonnet is the way to go. So just checked out ebay and you can get a decent range and cheap postage. Funny part is I want to buy local but the WA are selling them for an extra 300-400 bucks. Its only 100 to transport it.

Going to just start stock piling gear as I don't want to really get too hands in yet before I have finished planning.

But cosmetically I think I will just get it touched up, put the bonnet bulge on and get a nice hard top for the tray. Plus also remove the tonneau pop rivets to make it nice and smooth. Later on once I have done all the tinkering with engine and exhaust I will get a respray.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Update time.....

We'll not much really been happening, got alot of work on so haven't been able to do much. Holidays are now on and I got a couple of weeks off.

On one weekend I got into the doors to find the problem I have been having with the central locking. Basically sometimes the locks would just keep locking unlocking when door was open. Plus when I was driving if I hadn't unlocked properly the car would then start indicating like it was stolen. I took off the door trims to check out the locks and actuators.

Was surprised by cleanliness of the door. And no broken glass at bottom of panel. Bit of investigation found that passenger door locks was stiff and I added a bit of WD40 on mechanism. Problem solved happy as.

I planned ahead before my days off and found some seats on ebay. I called some wreckers first to see how I go and one of them said he had them but ended up putting them on ebay. Spewin, found them and online for a bit. Thought I wait it out and offer them lower. Waited and they didn't sell, yes can get the for a few hundred cheaper. Hmmm nope had to pay normal price. Got a full interior so going to clean up the backs and trims and sell them off.

Front seats cleaning up pretty well bit of a wear mark on the bottom left of driver seat but all in all pretty nice
Electric drivers seat so going to look how to power these. Be handy to have.
The back seats are pretty mint so going to treat them with leather conditioner and post them up for sale.
I was pretty happy with the end result basically these are going into storage till the car is ready to be ripped apart.

Next I jumped on perth e series and was surprised to see a sale had fell through for a momo steering wheel. Not the colour i wanted but after I had to take the ute to pick up the seats my hands were sticking to the steering wheel. The old wheel was very old and clogged up with dirt and sweat.
This is the new wheel picked it up for a bargain.
Only one scratch on the top and a bit of wear. I was on gumtree and found the PWR overflow tank only problem its one for a AU so don't think it fits so going to try soon after a good clean up.

So it was a good weekend for shopping. Now just gotta sell the back seats and trims to make some money back.

I have finalized the motor type and am going to go into the shop I have chosen. I am naming the guys from Streetbuilt Racing, was introduced by XF84. I popped up and saw them a few weeks back with the ute. Jeff told me that it had his old exhaust and he knew bit about the car. Great bunch of guys there and can't wait to head in there this weekend and finalize what motor setup. Basically it will be the 363 Dart block just have to find the setup we want.

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: LV XR5T

NSW, Australia

love it, i look forward to seeing the plans come to fruition!

only good things come from streetbuilt

Previous -
EL XR8 - Navy, 5.0, coilovers, custom twin 2.25" exhaust
EL Fairmont Ghia - Heritage, V8, Coilovers, leather, elec seat, sunroof, Ticky kit, EL XR front, dual fuel, EL GT's, custom twin exhaust
2011 Fiesta LX

Current -
LV XR5T

Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:51 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6

WA, Australia

That overflow bottle should fit. I have seen a couple au bottles fitted into eseries. Sure they weren't PWR ones but I am pretty sure it will fit.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Had a break from doing work and jumped in the ute.

Started on the steering wheel, it was pain in the **** got stuck for a bit but in the end got through it.

Looked at old steering wheel and most of the top has worn off and after a drive the other day my hand was sticking to the wheel. Sweat and whatever has been left on it wasn't really letting me enjoy my ride.

Wasn't hard to get started just side bolts but when it came to the main bold came into a bit of trouble.
The main bolt in middle I was able to get a large allen key into to loosen it. After that next came to the actual wheel, I did my head in with this. Was using my palm to whack it didn't want to use a hammer. Was starting to loose patience so gave XF84 a call. Was told to give it a good reef while pulling at each side. Off it popped happy as.
So I cleaned up the new wheel and placed it on. Think I went a bit hard on the clean so layered a bit of leather conditioner. It turned out heaps better really looks the part.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Well update time....

Not much to really go on, I picked up some parts here and there to sort out. Basically cruise control and trip computer not a necessaty but something to do thats small and keeps me busy.

The big ticket Item I have planned is soon to be ordered. I have choose the team at Streetbuilt Performance in WA to help me with all things mechanical. Was told about them from a mate so went in had a chat. After a few more catch ups and web searches found the best option. Have chosen a 363 Liberator Dart Shortblock, to be built by Fordstrokers. After checking out Marty's 363 in his EL XR8 I was really pushed to it. Have had some long chats to the guys and they are steering me in the right direction. So hopefully in a month or two the engine will be on order and they say around 4-5 months to get here. So by then I should have the rest of my plans solid before it arrives.

Next thing is to decide on gearbox. Still weighing up on options T56 magnum TKO and others. Liking the idea of a 6 speed for long cruise if I drive to summernats. Or something strong like the TKO can't make up my mind just yet.

I went into GAS78 and chatted about a BF bulge. Looking at getting the bonnet and hard top so I can get them done at once. The bonnets are a bit and joining them would be a pain in the **** so going to leave the professionals for that one.

Next weekend going to rip out tub to check the tray, make sure no rust as I will be putting a hard top on it later. Hopefully all goes well.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:03 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Jackos80 wrote:
cruise control and trip computer not a necessaty but something to do thats small and keeps me busy.
The cruise loom should already be there - have a look under the shelf near the master cylinder - the cruise servo plug should be clipped there.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

Snap,

Jack's XH don't have an airbag, so no cruise wiring...

I'll give him a hand to wire it in. I had to do the same to my XF (with the XH loom). It too was a non airbag model...

My current ute had airbags :lol: so was a simple plug in for me!! :mrgreen:

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, passenger cars with ABS get the extra wiring - the equivalent in XH's must be Airbag. In the pics the Longreach badge and covered up airbag plug give it away.

Well, you, like me, will have low coolant sensor, low washer bottle, and footwell lights.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks Snap will have a look, and yes the cabling was there for a air bag so if thats the case hopefully I have the cables for Cruise control module.

Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

Snap, yeah I think that's it mate.

The plug will be there in under the steering crash pad, and it will go through clock spring, down column into the 2 grey plugs. 1 will be for the horn, the other for airbag.

Only thing is, theres nothing for the poor little airbag connector to plug into :evil:

In my XF I just cut it off and hard wired my 'makeshift' cruise wiring in.... The tech doc on here was very helpful (did you write that one?)

I know I studied your doc on the trip computer... :mrgreen:

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Hey Guys,

Been a bit since update but so far its all written. No work done to car I have picked up a few bits here and there but basically waiting till car goes off the road to install them.

With the help of Jeff from Streetbuilt have closed to finallised the engine setup. Fordstrokers are building it 363 Liberator Dart Shortblock with TEA Twisted Wedge 190 Fast as Cast Cylinder Heads. This order should go in very soon, so hopefully should be built and shipped for a xmas present or earlier.

Was looking at either the AFR185's or Trickflow 190's. Any suggestions from out there about these heads and comparison? We have decided on what blower would be good to go on top of this in years to come.

I'm getting pretty excited on what comes next.

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

hey mate, has anything else happened with the car

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next