Fordmods Logo

EF2 ghia or XR head 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: EF2 ghia or XR head
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

Chasing one to get a bit of work done before putting a cam in - most likely R6.

Condition isn't a massive, massive factor... as long as the valve seals and stem guides are ok and no valves are bent ot too badly pitted etc. Warpage won't matter much because it'll get shaved anyway.

Cheers
-Jais

-- Tympanic Membrane Desecration --

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Have a talk to darren at Ferntree Gully auto salvage (03) 97586900, they should have a few.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

classic rims for a fairmont.. ohh i like ur bootlid.. i might do that to mine, cos my boot strut broke and i have this heavy small spolier and with only one strut the boot is a gilltine.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:27 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

2 bits of advise I can offer you with this idea.. Firstly I will assume you are looking at some head work..

I would suggest a Stock head, Now if you are considering an RPD cam, RPD also do head work, with that in mind, Jaysen and the boys at RPD can pretty much custom port and polish the head to suit the cam to get the most gain out of your setup.

the reason I suggest stock is that the XR heads are oly marginally better than standard with larger exhaust and inlet ports, the guys at RPD will make a head that out performs an XR head as they know what maximum sizes the ports can be taken to and where the most gain is to be had. so they can match a head to their product to get the biggest advantage for yourself.

Now secondly, if you are looking to get a tickford head and shave it slightly and put it on as a stock XR head that has been decked a bit, have a word to the guys again as they will tell you how much you can take off and still maintain safe piston to valve clearance.

With all their work, Jaysen has extensive knowledge of porting, polishing and shaving heads, With that in mind talk to em and they will guide you on what choices to make.

Dave

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

Thanks for that Dave, I wasn't aware that the guys did headwork. I'll have a talk to them and see what they think.

I went and saw some local guys yesterday and they said they can shave 10thou off my head for $250 as well as give it a bit of a clean up (whatever that entails!).

Their other option was swap my head for a recon one for $400 and the only difference is a recon one has been sandblasted back to shiny clean. I'm not really keen on taking it to them because again in my small city I got treated like a total moron (happened before with my gearbox at another place).

Thanks Pauly, you should have a PM mate ;)

-- Tympanic Membrane Desecration --

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]