Fordmods Logo

WTB: EF Fairmont Bonnet. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: NF Fairlane [BLUBEL]

VIC, Australia

Its pretty much whichever conversion comes first.

Since Jason works at Just Falcons, parts for the Fairmont conversion are piss easy to get (and Freeeee) but XR bits are sold before they come in.

The dude that owns JF (Sam) will be buying a Le Mans red EF XR just for us (wrecked). Its just waiting till he finds one.

So whichever bits you have, EF or XR, lemme know!! :P

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
LSD - Chrome inserts mainly...sorry, I should have been more explicit earlier :

The EF Fairmont front end is too similar to the EF Fairmont Ghia front end - ie they have no distinguishing differences other than a different colour grille AFAIK (standard are grey or black - EF Fairmont Ghias got the Chrome?).

The EL Fairmont front end is the same as a standard EF Fairmont front end although the grille is different - the EL having a chrome outer with a different plastic inner. However the EL Fairmont Ghia front ends got the chrome inserts in the front bumper moulds as well as a colour coded 'inner' part of the grille.

Sure, they're subtle differences and if you've got an EF Fairmont, you can easily turn it into an EL Fairmont / Ghia with little fuss (I think bottlejack or blackjackoriginal did this conversion?) - as we all know, the bonnet, lights and bumpers are the same with the provision for the NF/NL/DF/DL cornering lamps etc.

nah it's my fault, I wasn't quite sure you weren't taking the piss as I've always thought (incorrectly in the case of the EL as it now turns out) the Fairmont/Ghia grilles were the same on each model (allowing for the obivous model-specific differences of course). I always though the EL grilles were bigger too but this is probably an optical illusion.

I have seen EF 'monts with chrome (or polished metal) grille surrounds but was never sure though if it was a factory thing or not (Series 2 EF maybe?). It looks pretty sweet and I'd love to do it to my car but it'd probably cost a crapload :(

Team Argon Silver

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: FBT

VIC, Australia

LSD wrote:
I always though the EL grilles were bigger too but this is probably an optical illusion.

They look bigger because the EF Grille has a body colored surround made to look like part of the bonnet. They are exactly the same size as the EL Fairmont, NF/NL/DF/DL and EL Gt grilles.

"12 yards long, two lanes wide, 65 tonnes of american pride" Fairlane

Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

WA, Australia

I don't think it's just that as the EFs I've seen with the "chromed" grille surrounds look much the same size as those without. I think the grille inserts on ELs are slightly larger (the top part of the EF surround is slightly thicker than that on the EL with is much the same thickness all the way around) and this, combine with the more "in your face" styling of the EL inserts is what creates the effect.

Team Argon Silver

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2