Fordmods Logo

AUII Odometer Light dimming 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AUII Odometer Light dimming
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Falcon AU 2000 Series II

QLD, Australia

I've noticed yesterday evening my digital odometer light appears to be dimming to the point where its starting to be difficult to see the digital readout at night.

I assume its a bulb. Has anyone else had this problem?

If so, what's the procedure to get to the odometer light? what wattage would it be?

Picture attached

Thanks

Attachments:
Odometer light.JPG
Odometer light.JPG [ 191.79 KiB | Viewed 562 times ]

Post subject: Re: AUII Odometer Light dimming
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mad2,

Thanks for your assistance. Never had this happen before.

Is the instrument panel difficult to take off?

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Mad2,

Thanks for your assistance. Never had this happen before.

Is the instrument panel difficult to take off?

no probs ... & it ain't hard to remove . . . . more annoying lol. mines gone & just can't be bothered pulling it out as mines a base model & it don't really show much.

ok .. here's the back of it [think this is a series 1 cluster & pretty sure they are same/similar to the later series2 & 3?]

globe & socket removed ... will need something like a small flat bladed screwdriver to 'undo' & remove

& here's globe removed from socket. globe "leads/wires" are wrapped around the base to make contact, plus stay in place.

hopefully the globes are same from the series1 to 3?

hope that helps ya out :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks, much appreciated.

Mine is a low base as well.

Out of curiosity, was the speedo in the cluster connected to a speedo cable or is it connected via some type of electrical circuit?

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Thanks, much appreciated.

Mine is a low base as well.

Out of curiosity, was the speedo in the cluster connected to a speedo cable or is it connected via some type of electrical circuit?

'speedo' is hooked up to one of the connectors in the middle, up top of the cluster. speedo drive unit hooks up to cluster via a wiring loom.

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Too easy, thanks for your help.

Now I just got to find an intact on /off Aircon button switch, I managed to get mine holed few days ago.

Another trip to the wreckers to source them, I could not find any new available.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Update on Ford AUII (Forte) instrument / Dashboard bulbs.

I went to Bursons, they don't have them, they have different types that are not suitable for Ford AUII, aparently the bulbs are not a pull out and push in type. They are somehow hooked in under the clips.

Went to QFord, I've been advised the only ones they stock Australia wide is Black, no Green and no Silver. The manufacturer stopped making them for Ford some time ago.

The Green ones are the ones I need for the Odometer / Tripmeter and for the clock. Light for the clock had failed few weeks ago.

Repco donrt have them, they suggested Ashdown Ingram. I went there too, no good.

From the wreckers, bugger all, most of them have already been canabolised.

Without globes, I'm stuffed for night driving.

Anyone got any suggestions or workarounds for this?

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:

I went to Bursons, they don't have them, they have different types that are not suitable for Ford AUII, aparently the bulbs are not a pull out and push in type. They are somehow hooked in under the clips.

Went to QFord, I've been advised the only ones they stock Australia wide is Black, no Green and no Silver. The manufacturer stopped making them for Ford some time ago.

The Green ones are the ones I need for the Odometer / Tripmeter and for the clock. Light for the clock had failed few weeks ago.

Repco donrt have them, they suggested Ashdown Ingram. I went there too, no good.

dunno what you mean with the colors ? ..... rechecked the 3 AU clusters I have here loose & the only color sockets they have are the black [two sizes] & silver [one size]. the pics I took were of a '02 model. the black & silver bases are not set out the same between all 3 clusters [05-99, 12-00 & 05-02] but they appear to be the same except for the part of the base that sits inside the cluster .. one is 'slightly' longer, but total length including globes are the same. the ones behind the Odometer / Tripmeter are the ones I showed you earlier & the bases are different along with the diameter sizing [hole sizing - smaller than the clip ones that are fitted to the rest of the cluster]. comparing the two size bases [main cluster to the trip], there is a big difference even if you change the hole size for the light. the globe is smaller so the length into the cluster is shorter.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUII Fairmont- Tickford enhanced

TAS, Australia

"Stuffed for night driving"... Why ?

Why do you need look at that part of the cluster whilst driving ?

Mine has been that way since I bought the car almost 8 years ago.
I don't see a need to remove the cluster & risk damage just for the sake of 1 globe I never look at anyhow!

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Rust Belt,

I do a lot of night driving champ, over a 1000klm per week, I like to know DTE and Trip encountered. Horses for courses.

Hence the light.

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
bondy99 wrote:

dunno what you mean with the colors ? ..... rechecked the 3 AU clusters I have here loose & the only color sockets they have are the black [two sizes] & silver [one size]. the pics I took were of a '02 model. the black & silver bases are not set out the same between all 3 clusters [05-99, 12-00 & 05-02] but they appear to be the same except for the part of the base that sits inside the cluster .. one is 'slightly' longer, but total length including globes are the same. the ones behind the Odometer / Tripmeter are the ones I showed you earlier & the bases are different along with the diameter sizing [hole sizing - smaller than the clip ones that are fitted to the rest of the cluster]. comparing the two size bases [main cluster to the trip], there is a big difference even if you change the hole size for the light. the globe is smaller so the length into the cluster is shorter.

When I said colours, that was refering to the plugs the bulb sits in. On the AU2 (Forte) Black, one size, Silver which is more like grey is the same size as Black, bulbs seem to be identical; whereas the green (from the trip/ odometer and clock) is smaller.

The smaller ones can be sourced from Repco, probably from Bursons as well. Already purchased 3 small ones no issues there. Sourcing the others is bit more challenge

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:22 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

bondy99 wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
bondy99 wrote:

When I said colours, that was refering to the plugs the bulb sits in. On the AU2 (Forte) Black, one size, Silver which is more like grey is the same size as Black, bulbs seem to be identical; whereas the green (from the trip/ odometer and clock) is smaller.

The smaller ones can be sourced from Repco, probably from Bursons as well. Already purchased 3 small ones no issues there. Sourcing the others is bit more challenge

believe I said .. mine don't have the green. ALL the loose AU clusters have either black or grey [silver].

hmmmmmm .... just looked at said bulb socket with a bright led light :roll:

must be a err "little" color blind . . . . . . ok .. they 'might' be a greenish/black color ... hey i'm slightly maybe color blind BUT it would NOT be hard to change the globe fitted to an led.

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hahahaha,

No probs, I was going to change over to LED but might be too hard basket for me. I was looking at a few posts about LEDs for panel lights, lot of people complained about having high spots, not illuminating properly. Need to be flat ends 3 LEDs in one (whatever that means).

If I can find LED's that will do the same job without making major alterations, that might save a lot of problems, especially if I keep the vehcile for another 10 years.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

@ Mad2,

After removing the screw covers and philips screw from the cluster housing, how did you end up removing the cluster panel?

I'm at the stage of replacing all the globes, using globes from Jaycar.

I'll have to get a flat bladed knife and some type of trim tool I guess.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next