Fordmods Logo

Heads & Cam (Dyno Pg 12 & 27, 1/4mile Pg 18) 

Page 1 of 52 [ 773 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next

Post subject: Heads & Cam (Dyno Pg 12 & 27, 1/4mile Pg 18)
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Alright so ive finally got the cash to go out and spend up abit on the ute. Was thinking stroker but budget is pushing me towards a nice set of alloy heads, cam, roller rockers, intake, 24lb injectors, 75mm MAF, 65/70mm t/b and a tweecer or CAPA chip.
Havent quite decided on a head/cam combo yet, I have a fair idea but nothing is certain yet. Thats why im here so you guys can help me out.
I think i'll start off with the questions bout the heads. Also i will be buying the heads complete with valves & springs etc.
Firstly i was looking at the AFR 165cc heads but am unsure if i have to go for the emissions legal ones or not due to the fact my EGR set up is all blanked off.
Also would i go for the 58cc with stud mount, 60cc with pedastal mount or 61cc with stud mount. Alot of the cams i have looked at suit 58cc combustion chambers.
Would valve springs need to be upgraded?
These can be had for around $2300 complete

Also lookin at Edelbrock Performer heads. Unsure wether i need the 1.90 int' valve or 2.02 int' valve.
Both of these heads have 60cc comb' chamber and 170cc intake port.
These can be had for around $2100 complete

Other heads i was lookin at were the Trickflow twisted wedge heads.
These only come with the 2.02 int' valve, 61cc comb' chamber and 170cc intake port.
Unsure on price with these but wouldnt be suprised with between $2400-2800 complete.

Basically looking for a decent head that will bolt straight on. Would rather avoid having to notch pistons but if it needs to be done i'll do it.
Was thinking work out which head im going with then choose a cam to suit, is this how i should go about it?

If you can give me your experiences/reccomendations/thoughts on the above heads and other questions that would be great.
Also would be appreciated if you guys could help me through this process, i'll try make it as easy for yas as possible :lol: .

Next step will be deciding cam/rocker combo.

Cheers guys
Jeff

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Last edited by XH5LWEPN on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Heads - whatever you can afford really. If you can afford them for a 5.0L AFR165s will be the best for a street car but expensive. Custom cam based on the overall package which should come with valve springs. Valve springs should match the cam you are getting.

For more information go to www.corral.net

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeh custom cam be the go. i went with a Comp grind, but coz of recent stories about distributor gear incompatibilities, go for someone else.

i went for afr #1472 heads.(165cc, ped mount) rockers cheap/easy to fit. and my egr circuit is blanked off, so getting the emissions heads meant nothing changed from stock anyway.

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... 56&start=0

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

your intake should be fine also, coz ud have the explorer intake yeh? just get the lower ported a bit. should be able to get 300rwhp with it.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
your intake should be fine also, coz ud have the explorer intake yeh? just get the lower ported a bit. should be able to get 300rwhp with it.

Cheers for the replies clampy. i have an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake sittin in the shed i bought a while ago. A guy over east was selling for a good price so i thought i'd snap it up while i could. If i had a choice i would have gone the normal performer not the rpm. I thought i may aswell throw it on with the new heads etc and sell the explorer. Or if it isnt the best way to go about it i might have to sell the edelbrock and keep the explorer.

What do you think?

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

how much power u lookin to put out? coz depending on that, the explorer could be perfect, or rob top end power.. or the rpm could be perfect, or rob low-mid range torque.

i stuck with my gt40 tubular, coz even if im losin 20hp up high, that extra torque is gonna get used alot more on the street. in my opinion 20hp over a 1500rpm spread aint as good as 20ft/lb over a 3000rpm spread

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not all is lost with the RPM. Shares the same lower with the Performer (which I would also go for) so when you have the rest of the motor done, you can swap the upper intakes and see which tickles your fancy. I think the performer will have a flatter torque curve which is what you want in a street engine.

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

-clampy- wrote:
how much power u lookin to put out? coz depending on that, the explorer could be perfect, or rob top end power.. or the rpm could be perfect, or rob low-mid range torque.

i stuck with my gt40 tubular, coz even if im losin 20hp up high, that extra torque is gonna get used alot more on the street. in my opinion 20hp over a 1500rpm spread aint as good as 20ft/lb over a 3000rpm spread

Would be happy with 200rwkw, but more concerned about havin a nice flat torque curve. Not really too worried about peak power, i mean a high figure would be nice but just not what im concentrating on.

So anyone want to buy a performer RPM inlet manifold, or swap RPM upper for performer upper? :lol:

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

One Drone wrote:
Not all is lost with the RPM. Shares the same lower with the Performer (which I would also go for) so when you have the rest of the motor done, you can swap the upper intakes and see which tickles your fancy. I think the performer will have a flatter torque curve which is what you want in a street engine.

One Drone do you think the low-mid range torque difference between the explorer and Performer RPM would be noticeable?

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The only real way to know is to try it yourself for what you are doing. I believe there will be a difference.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002 ... ndex.shtml

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:29 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

i still run the xplorer setup with svo heads and a decent cam. mine also runs a fair bit of compression too.

mine breaks traction on acceleration in first and second if that helps

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

One Drone wrote:
The only real way to know is to try it yourself for what you are doing. I believe there will be a difference.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002 ... ndex.shtml

Cheers for the link mate, an awesome read that was. Exactly what i wanted to know.
You know anyone who wants to buy a Performer RPM inlet manifold? :wink:

Quote:
i still run the xplorer setup with svo heads and a decent cam. mine also runs a fair bit of compression too.

mine breaks traction on acceleration in first and second if that helps

Trikee, heard alot about your ute mate, got any more info on it or pics, sounds like an awesome ride, gotta love the XH XR8's.

STREETBUILT RACING

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

im in ur boat XH4LTWPN.. cant u just get a cam to suit the performer rpm???

Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

will have some mor pics in about a month or 2. had a photo shoot a week and a half ago for a magazine and i'm supposed to be getting a copy of all the photos. as for info, what do you wanna know really. some stuff i'm trying to keep a bit secret, just so mines a bit more individual, but 99% of the stuff i'll give you info about

cheers mate

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 52  [ 773 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next