Fordmods Logo

Michael's ED, Is it time to upgrade? 

Page 1 of 27 [ 405 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

Post subject: Michael's ED, Is it time to upgrade?
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Welcome fellow fordmods members and ford enthusiasts.

Let me introduce myself, My names Michael and im kind of new to fordmods even though i have 200 something posts. I would like to get my name out there on fordmods and perhaps one day have a car that ppl know!

I have decided that now is the time to start logging my build even though i was started some time ago.

For everyone that reads this thread ask your self this before each reply, " is my reply actually going to help this guy" if your answer is "no" then i ask you keep your remarks to your self or write it down on paper then chuck it out. If you refuse to do so and post "crap" then you have automaticly publicly classed your self as a Stupid usless moron. I must stat i am defiantly only to "constructive criticism, thanks :).

Now Enjoy

I learnt to drive in dads auto jackaroo, mums manual pulsar, sisters manual kia rio, and my auto falcon. Got my licence sept 07 i think :lol:

1st Car

After Car hunting for some time i was at a relatives house and the conversation of my car hunting/receiving learners popped up and before i knew it i was offered a white 93 ED GLi auto with only 140xxx on the clock for nothing except the rego payment which at the time was $287. oldest picture of car. Already before i had even taken a picture of the car i picked up some already paints white ED xr6 rims and tyres for $200 from the wreckers. Other mods that followed included the JMM dev 2 kit and other small bits and peices that i no longer remember.

This is about how it started

After some cleaning painting of bumpers removing red pin stripe boot lip

All that stuff was ages ago since then that car has been umm "got dead"
*Warning the following content may cause distress to E series lovers*

2nd Car
I have no pictures of this car as it started off as because i didnt really feel the need to take a picture of a crap car, sorry.

Car was off ebay from a sandy (bad idea) suburb in Vic for a total of $248.
Again this was a White 93 ED Gli but with badly rusted sills and damage to rear.
Although in bad shape it still made the trip from Victoria to Brisbane with good fuel econemy.

This is the car i drive today and it looks like a this

ImageImage

Following mods to date include

Looks

- Darkest legal tinted windows
- xr6 front grill/lights
- clear indicators
- AU clear side indicators
- xr6 Boot spoiler
- xr6 Rims

Performance

DEV 2 upgrade kit from JMM
- DEV "Street-Fighter" Mandrel Bent Headers
- Hi-Performance 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust
- Cat Converter - 2.5" Conversion Kit
- DEV - Performance Spark Plugs
- Spiral Race-Series Ignition leads
- Ultra-Flow Intake Kit, 3" Mandrel, K&N air filter
- EL thermals

Ride

- Professional lowered suspension by Fulcrum
- new ball joints
- bushes replaced
- poly... nuro... thane everything nearly
- Cross drilled DBA rotors all round
- scrubed clean calipers and painted with high temp blue paint, but didnt last long as was cheap :roll:. I must say but you couldnt even see them with my xr6 rims.

Other
- motorised fuel cap opener
- auto electric annnnntennnnnna

Interior
- Standard GLi seats door trims
- Momo steering wheel with cruise control
- FULLY CUSTOM PAINT WORK :P
- Custom blue tickford background on xr speedo
- Dash clock

Stereo

- 12" 600w Clarion subwoofer in sealed box bolted securly to floor
- Pioneer GM3300t 300w 2 ch Pioneer amp to power sub
- 4 Clarion something rather speakers
All cables are put down properly under carpet and behind dash ect. Only visable where cabels connect to amp.

Mods currently under way
Cars in (dads :P ) yard that i have brought recently and plans for them.

EB fairmont $150
Removing electric wondows, center console, some extra looms for interior lights, doors trims and seats, maybe carpet.
Put the brand new altenator from this onto mine score!

EA spac $152.55
This car is storage for my T5, no guess's what its for :D

ED GLidaily driver
This car gets the parts, currently has 1 power window 8-) 3 more to go!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading so far, if you have any questions feel free to post!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is were you can contrbute as im in a bit of a pickle!

First of i wish to convert my car to a manual,

ECU HELP

Because i brought the entire car and not just the box ive got everything for the conversion,

but will the EA ecu run properly in my ED?

Do i buy a manual ecu from EB2 - EL?

or trick my ED GLi (auto) or EB fairmont(auto) or EA spac (manual) ecu into doing something to make it work??

Diff "advice"
What diff would be best?

From the different cars in the yard ive got 2:92 from the EA spac, 3:08 and 3:27.. (Unsure couldnt read tag) from the GLi and fairmont cant remember which was which. Non of which are LSD.

These are the diffs i have and if i could use one would be good, but i am after the performance of a 3:45 LSD

Ive got my eye on a local 3:45 lsd FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully i can get this diff for my price range looking at spending around $300.

Cold Air Intake

CAI is very important as we know, ive been looking at the BBM for some time now and also have my eye on one for sale with, intake manifold, T/B fuel injector wiring and hoses.

With this upgrade i am unawear of what i need to buy and what i need to get for the conversion and then what needs to be done to complete it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow i shall take some pictures of the car all round so they are the very latested as some of the above are old. I will also start taking pictures of the mods im doing as im doing them, i.e electric windows and interior swap.

Thanks for reading about my car its great to have some were to share my work with discuss things

Last edited by itlookslikeaxr6 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 39 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mick's (itlooksliekaxr6) ED BUILD, NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hi Mick. Nice write up.

I look forward to following your plans come in to reality.

As to your questions.

ECU.

The EA ECU will be a pre smartlock ECU, and you will need a smarlock bypass to use it. Even then, I would not recommend using it. My recommendation is to use the resistor trick using your ED Auto ECU, until you can locate the correct Manual ECU.

However, if you do go ahead with the BBM conversion, then get a GLi EL ECU and a J3 Chip to convert the ECU to an EL XR6 Manual ECU.

Diff.

As you will be using an EA T5, my suggestion is to find a 3.27 LSD. I think you will find this combination will provide a nice balance of performance and driveability. A 3.45 diff with the EA T5 will give you a VERY short first gear, and will rev up around the 2600rpm mark at 110kph.

BBM.

You will need an EF/EL BBM manifold and brackets etc. You will also need the metal heater pipes. One comes off the thermostat, and the other out the back of the water pump, and around the back of the engine. Also needed will be the correct heater hoses. You will need to mod the ED Log manifold wiring loom to work with the BBM. You also need the a BBM swtich and vac hoses and an EL ECU to trigger it.

Good Luck.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hi,

Its raining today argh, really wanted to get the power windows done.

As stated by BenJ i shall be needing a 3.23 LSD, do these come in fairmonts? is there a chance the 3.23 in the eb fairmont out the back a LSD!!! need to clean up that tag and find out.

Last night when i wanted to check a LED was working i pulled out the glove box light as the LED was in the glove box and this was the closest light where i could check it.

Some thing went zap and i shorted something, now car doesnt start, remote wont unlock car and none of the interior lights or the radio come on. have checked the fueses under the dash and replaced the onse next to the battery. Will investigate further later today.

Regards,

Mick

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Mick,

I should have an ED XR6 5 Spd ECU, i'll try and get that back. That will solve the ECU drama for you.

On the subject of diffs now, a mate of mine has a tight 3.27 LSD for sale, i'll find out how much if you want

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Mick,

I should have an ED XR6 5 Spd ECU, i'll try and get that back. That will solve the ECU drama for you.

On the subject of diffs now, a mate of mine has a tight 3.27 LSD for sale, i'll find out how much if you want

I will jack up and roll under the fairmont just now and find out if its LSD or not. If you could get a price from him and a post code or suburb of were the diff is would be great.

As for the ecu ill be needing a EL one for future BBM conversion, thanks alot for your reply and help.

Regards,

Mick

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Sounds like the Crt Lamp fuse is blown. This will also disable smartlock. If you replace the fuse, the car should start again.

Re the Fairmont Diff, Only Ghias had the LSD, but you could be lucky as they were an option.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

itlookslikeaxr6 wrote:
67RCE wrote:
Mick,

I will jack up and roll under the fairmont just now and find out if its LSD or not. If you could get a price from him and a post code or suburb of were the diff is would be great.

As for the ecu ill be needing a EL one for future BBM conversion, thanks alot for your reply and help.

Regards,

Mick

The diff should be close to you, its actually getting stored in an EB Ghia shell at Bulimba

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:
Sounds like the Crt Lamp fuse is blown. This will also disable smartlock. If you replace the fuse, the car should start again.

Re the Fairmont Diff, Only Ghias had the LSD, but you could be lucky as they were an option.

Cheers
BenJ

Your exactly right, dad found it i had a look at them last night and musted have missed it, but found a test light that was in mums car for some reason.

Replaced the fuse and everything in fine the spade connectors were with teh test light in mums car so now ive got the speaker connected to drivers door and that door will be finished today, have to go to ipswich with dad now.

BenJ wrote:
Re the Fairmont Diff, Only Ghias had the LSD, but you could be lucky as they were an option./quote]
67RCE wrote:
The diff should be close to you, its actually getting stored in an EB Ghia shell at Bulimba

Yer that sounds excellent, yer dont like my chances of it being a Lsd cant see it on the tag or diff anywere.

Here a picture of the drivers seat i started cleaning it last night as it was the most dirty, came up pretty well considering i used cheap export product from supercheap!! it was only 3 bucks a a can compared to 10 - 15 for other pruducts.

WIll get back to work once i get home and it stops raining again!

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Mick.

Last edited by itlookslikeaxr6 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Have to pick up GF from school at 3 so i might wash my car, leave early and stop at the park for my first photo shoot 8-) .

Will have to experiment with some angles.

Regards,

Mick

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

Hey mick, i have an EB series 2 pre smartlock manual ECU if you want it.

And finally good to see your build thread. :)

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

First photo shoot
So the photo shoot was a fail! I went to the park after picking up the misses, got the car in a nice position with a decent background and angled the wheels for a good shot. Then stood back and zoom, zoooom, less zoom, ok hold it, hold it, pressed botton and was happy with piture untill.....CANNOT STORE PHOTO NO MEMORY CARD! flashes across the screen. Omg annoyed much.

You would be surprised how many ppl are at the park at about 3:30 when its drizzling!

Todays progress
Minimal progress was made on the power windows as it was raining most of today, only thing that was completed was the drivers side door trim was put on after using spade connectors to connect speaker.

PIMP_LTD wrote:
Hey mick, i have an EB series 2 pre smartlock manual ECU if you want it. And finally good to see your build thread. :)

Thanks for your kind words and your offer. Im really in need for a EL GLi ecu and will chip it to get it to xr6 manual status, so it is compatible with my smartlock and future BBM and manual conversions.

Regards,

Mick

Post subject: Re: Mick's (itlookslikeaxr6) ED BUILD, NEW THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Car looks good, I like it. Keep putting up pics. I like pics.

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

The ED looks good man, i like the bootlip spoiler by the way, i reckon it looks good on the early e series falc's :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

i just have one question what happened to the other car ?

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

mitchell g wrote:
i just have one question what happened to the other car ?

Lol if he is talking about the one that causes distress to e-series owners, i would also like to know how the car ended up like that? Lol its like its sitting on it k-frame or something it dropped so much at the front :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 27  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next