Fordmods Logo

BBM and EF Ignition onto an EB smartlock motor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: BBM and EF Ignition onto an EB smartlock motor
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi Guys,
I am currently putting an EB engine into a XE Falcon Ute and I need some advice on the conversion. I have the engine and wiring etc from an XG ute. I want to also fit the Broad band manifold at the same time with the Ignition system out of an EF. Now im guessing I will need to run the EF ECU to control the inition system. Can I possibly use the EB/XG wiring harness and connect the ECU or will I need to use all the wiring harness out of the EF. I am converting the dash over to an XH type. Did the XH have the distrbutrless engine like the EF? Would the engine bay wiring be the same for the XH as the EF? This is starting to turn into a monster of a project as I try to sort out what is compatable etc. The nuts and bolts of putting the parts in doesnt worry me including the dash, its more the wiring that I think will give me grief. Is there a guy in Brisbane who knows their stuff on EB to EF wiring and electrics? Sorry for so many questions, Im just getting keen to get it all going.

Corey
PS any little bit of advice would be great

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:47 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Jeez, theres a few tricks and questions in there :) I'll see what I can pick out for you

XH runs standard Dizzy TFI like EA-ED and EL. You can use any Multipoint 6cyl 4L ECU to run this engine. So if you've got all the looms for XG you should be able to run them, bolt in the EB 4L and everything should work. Essentially the EB engine is the same as the XG. I dont know why you're talking about the EF Ignition system.. there are no real gains to be had but there would be alot of complications. Dont bother, stick with the dizzy.

I beleive XH's had the BBM, if not all definantly the later model did, I think they also had thermo fans. You would be best to get the looms and ECU from an XHII to ensure BBM and thermo fans work properly.

Keep asking questions :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:01 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

just adding to what brad said, im 99% sure it was only the XH XR6 ute that got the BBM, and im not sure but i think it might have had coil pack ignition too? but as has been said no real gains with coil pack unless your gonna go full aftermarket ECU...

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:12 am 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Interesting fact there Dave.

All XH had thermo fans though, correct?

I purchased a couple of XH motors recently and they had dizzy's, it was only EF and AU which received EDIS6.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:18 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

All XH's had Thermo fans.
All XH's had dizzies.
As far as XH I's go, only the XR6 got BBM manifold.

As far as inst cluster goes, might be best to go with EA - ED mid series - should be plug in without mod, just replace oil press s/w with the sender.

You'll need an EBII - ED Central Controller and Smartlock Module to plug in as well + Ign key cylinder (Smartlock) if not with the wiring harness.

Probably best to go with EL ECU, as it's 60 pin like EBII-ED, and you can add wiring for the BBM and thermo fans later if desired.

Also the driveline/rear end to consider as well.

Be sure to check out the doco section for EEC IV & V pinouts, etc.

And a little light reading as well: Some reasonably related info.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9555
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopi ... 17&start=0

Might be worth getting an EBII - ED Gregorys manual (does have an XG supplement) not the most information packed, but a start.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Last edited by snap0964 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:50 am 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

Excellent.. Someone who knows their XH's :)

Did XG and/or XH come with smartlock/tibbe lock? If so you'd be best using the smartlock gear from them rather than trying to graft in an EBII-ED smartlock kit.

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:02 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Excellent.. Someone who knows their XH's :)
Have a reasonable idea, but not without the help of the wonderful Fordmods network . . . . :D
Waggin wrote:
Did XG and/or XH come with smartlock/tibbe lock? If so you'd be best using the smartlock gear from them rather than trying to graft in an EBII-ED smartlock kit.
XG smartlock is same as EBII -ED system as you know - not sure about the locking system. I think both doors were mechanically locked only. Door actuators would need to be added as per XH installation if this is the case.
XH's all certainly do have tibbe locks - simply an E series actuator with a link added to the X series lock assy. 'S' & XR6 were keyless, other Series I Longreachs weren't - all series II were keyless AFAIK.
XH gear would be preferable for the "plugin" value, but may not be as easy to source as std E series stuff - E series actuator brackets may fit as well - I'd have to check my ute and wagon to confirm.
Wouldn't be hard to wire this all in, maybe along with the XH door mirrors (which are E series anyway).
For Keyless entry: Get an E series keyfob off Ebay or whatever.
XG: Add "dummy" boot release wiring to the Central controller for keyfob training. Keyfob training is as for EB II - ED.
XH Series I: Models other than 'S' or XR6 - add the demist s/w or "dummy" wiring if demist s/w plug isn't present. Add red/yellow & yellow/black actuator lines to BEM. Keyfob training is as for EF - EL.

Just a few nice additions . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi Guys ,
Thanks for all your advice on my conversion. Damn looks like ive wasted my time buying an EF ECU etc. The reason I was looking at using the coil pack ignition was because the engine I bought had no distributor in it. I thought while I had it all apart it wouldnt be too much trouble to fit. Now that I have looked at the XG ECU and the EF ECU I can see there is a vast difference in the two. Would it be possible to cut the required wiring out of the EF loom and then change the plug over on the XG loom to the EF type and add those extra wires to the XG loom? I was thinging about using the EF engine bay loom but it takes quite a different route about the engine bay, although I guess the basics like headlights and battery etc are in the same place generally. It certianly would be good to have the option of going to an aftermarket computer later. Will an EF auto gearbox stand up to towing or is there an auto thats more suitable?
Corey

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:50 pm 
Site Admin

NSW, Australia

I'm assuming the XG loom is similar to the EA-ED where the crossover loom runs across the lip of the firewall, whereas on the EF/EL it runs behind the dash resulting in a much nicer engine bay.

Installing the dizzy in any of these 4L engines is a piece of piss, just drop it in and bolt down the clip. They can be had from most wreckers for around $30-70. Just make sure it comes from a MPEFI engine, as the CFI engines didnt have a refernece tooth for TDCC#1

You can use an EL ECU if you want to run BBM and Thermo fans, it will plug straight into your existing loom, and then you can add wires for BBM and Thermo's. As you noticed there are 2 types of EEC plugs, 60 pin for EA-ED, XH/XG and EL (Dizzy), and 104 pin for EF/AU (Coil pack).

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]