Page 1 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Datalogger Setup
Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Hi guys,

I have purchased a Tech Edge datalogger kit from TI Performance to put into the falc for the next round of engine mods I am doing.

I have had a few problems with getting it all to work.

I have got the WBO2 part all working fine. It is hooked up, reads and logs correctly.

The other inputs I cannot get to work at all.

RPM i have tapped into the first ignition coil signal. It doesn't seem to want to come through to the computer though.
The TPS pick up I have tapped through the ECU's TPS line. This also doesnt give me any readout on the computer.
The MAP i haven't got completely set up just yet because I wasnt sure at the time which wire on the GM sensor goes where. I've since picked up a VN so will work it out from there.

I am out at work this week, but will be home on the weekend. I will come back to this thread then with a bit more detail, but for now I was wondering who actually has one of these kits, and roughly how did you set it up?

Cheers,
Nic

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Post subject: Re: Datalogger Setup
Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

My techedge logger is mostly hooked up to the wires coming off the ecu. TPS, RPM, voltage(not the main 12v for logger but the smaller one for sensors) and ground all come off the ecu.

I have all the pinouts for the sensors and a diagram for the GM MAP at home that i'll post up later if no one else answers before then.

Cheers

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Try picking up RPM via the Tacho out pin from the ECU rather than the coil.

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Correct RE the tacho output. Here's a wiring diagram from the TE site:

Image (from http://www.wbo2.com/2j/default.htm)

Also, have you configured the inputs in the software correctly? It's not as simple as wiring it up, it'll need some configuration too. You have to set a min/max voltage and transfer function (i.e. 4.7v = 100% throttle, 0.7v = 0% throttle) for each input. Default tacho setting requires changing to suit the 6 cyl, as does the VSS input.

See the WinLog guide here http://www.devtechnics.com/winlog/techedge.pdf

I have been running my 2J in my EF for a few years now.

HTH,
Jason

Last edited by galapogos01 on Mon May 06, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Finnigan - that'd be awesome mate.
I've got it completely wired up down at the ECU also.

Dsyfer - Okay cool. I must have missed that one when going through the ECU pin outs. I'll have a good look at it when I get home.

Jason - Thanks for that. I have been using that diagram, that the one I wired it up off. As far as setting up the inputs, I was definitely struggling with how to get it done right at the time. So much so that I just upped and left it for a couple of months.

I'll go back through the winlog guide, but from memory I couldnt get the answers I needed out of it.

Having said all that, I know there wasnt even a voltage registering on the computer at all, it wasnt seeing anything from the inputs i dont think.

Thanks for this guys, keep it coming. Like I said, this weekend I will spend a bit more time on it when I am home.

*damn working away from home all week!! :lol: *

Posted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

UPDATED 22/11/10
Right here we go....
-------------------------------------------------------------
Power to the logger: (Black twin wire)
Positive: It is recommend that this is wired to an ignition on power source as wiring it to the cigarette lighter might burn out the o2 sensor. I have wired this by plugging a spade connector into the top(+ve) pin of the climate control fuse in the fuse box. I have done this as gli's and futuras dont have climate control but the positive wire is still in there.(makes life easier, ).

Ground: You can ground to anywhere really but if you can find the wire that is ground for the ignition circuit use that. (i can not remember the color for certain, as it has been a long time since i hooked it up, but pretty sure it is black with green stripe and can be found in the loom by the drivers right foot going into the firewall.)

ECU outs for a EF falcon:
(colours refer to the logger loom)

Brown - TPS - pin 89(DG-BK)
Violet - NBsim - pin 35 (DG-DB)(dont connect while tuning)
Pink - RPM - pin 45(Pink-DB)
White - VSS - pin 58(White)

Yellow 12v - Power output for other gauges instruments
Black - ground - pin 24,25,51,76,77,103. just use whats easy for you, i used 76 or 77(BK-W)

Red - MAP - connect directly to center pin on GM MAP. See images below. Slice the 5v and ground for it off the ford map. Leave the ford map attached. You will need it for your ECU.

Extra info regarding the GM MAP types so you know if you are getting a 1,2,3 bar map when you buy one.

Hope this helps... I too was very confused when i first tried installing it. The WBo2 website can be a bit ambiguous and confusing at times.

As jason has said you do need to set the device up using WButil http://wbo2.com/sw/util.htm. You will need a USB-RS232 adaptor if you dont have a serial port. I recommend this one http://wbo2.com/hw/usb232.htm as the one i got off ebay was crap. Uses a different chip that may not be compatible. Also when connecting the display or the logger to the computer you need to have 12v to them.

This should be heaps to get you and others on the right track. Maybe even get others into using the techedge stuff. IT IS REALLY GOOD FOR THE PRICE. Very powerful piece of equipment.

EDIT: added some info... fixed some info.

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Last edited by finnigan001 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

wow, thats awesome finnigan! thanks for that.

I'm getting a bit keen now to get back home and get stuck back into it. Thanks for that.

I'll post back up if (when :lol: ) I get stuck again.

Cheers,

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just thought I should post smoe feedback, thanks for that help.

I got about 30 minutes on the weekend to play with it, and I trudged through the tech edge instructions you posted up Finnigan. With a bit of d**k around I finally got it to start playing ball.

RPM i got it to pick up, but it was incorrect cause of where I have the signal coming from, but proof of concept at least. The speed was coming through well too which is good. The MAP still isnt hooked up but the TPS i still couldnt get to work. That one confused me a bit, cause I think I have done everything right.

I'll try and get back to it this weekend, but I doubt I'll get much more time than last weekend. :cry:

ha ha, cheers for all the help again guys, been great

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

so i had another good stab at this yesterday, got a little bit more joy.

I've got the TPS working now and being recorded correctly.
The O2 meter is still cranking along nicely
Speed is working, i just need to get the correction factor right
RPM is sorted
MAP sensor is wired in, i just need to work out the factors for it.

With the MAP sensor, looking at Finnigan's info, it seems it is a 1 bar MAP sensor, the code on it is 039. It came off a VN, so i thought it was supposed to a 2 - bar unit. :? I found at idle it is about 1.6v and at open air it is about 4.8v. Am i right in thinking that to go into positive pressure (blower is fitted on the car) i might need a different MAP sensor?

So now i need to work out how to tune.

I've been prompted back into action by getting the supercharger in and installed, but i could see on the WBO2 meter that it was getting a pretty hardcore lean miss going on at low throttle percentage. The tuner I want to use is busy for another 4 weeks. Figured i might as well get off my bum and get started on it myself.

Cheers,
Nic

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Also, I've just found that my computer isn't a fan of the J3 chip burner, it needs drivers. I'm scouring the TI Performance website for them at the moment, but not finding any love. If anyone knows what I can do, let me know.

Cheers,
Nic

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Read the programmer install guide! :D

Your sensor will be a 1 bar if it came from an N/A Commodore. Cheap 2 bars are available on ebay.

Jason

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

whoops, eyes are open grasshopper, but you do not see!! :lol: :oops:

my computer is still a f**k stick and for some reason won't let me install drivers from the desktop or any other folder for that matter?? :?

as for the MAP sensor, is there anything that has a 2 - bar MAP in production is Aus? I'm thinking going to the wreckers tomorrow if i can. I've only got one week every four to actually get stuff done, having to wait for one is going to slow me down a bit. :lol:

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EDIT:

Operator error. :lol:

Still need to sort out the MAP sensors for now.

Cheers,
Nic

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Did a bit of playing and tuning with it last week, just in the off boost parts of the tune.

Made a huge difference to how it runs at cruise and low acceleration.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I realised that the J3 can't actually tune into positive pressure though; I had always been under the impression that it could. I was looking forward to perfecting the AFRs on boost, but seems it'll be a bit of jigging around with the fuel pressure reg.

In a bit of limbo now as to how I am going to tackle the next step of getting it all tuned up.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Nic

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you realise that you'll never be at high RPM with 0inhg (30inhga in the map), you can use this row to tune the boost area fuel delivery in one big whammy. It's not hugely accurate or pretty but for a low boost setup it is better than no control at all. You also use this row for spark.

Of course you should get in the right ball park first by fitting the right diaphragm to your FMU (6:1 - 12:1, or adjusting it if it is adjustable, but don't change your base fuel pressure).

There are some developments ongoing in the boost resolution space with a smart cookie in SA or the use of 'sensor benders', but can't promise anything just yet.

Cheers,
Jason

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next