Fordmods Logo

EL ECU in an XG ute BIG PROBLEMS!!!!! 

Page 6 of 6 [ 89 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post subject: Re: EL ECU in an XG ute BIG PROBLEMS!!!!!
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the quick response Saltez. My plan of attack now is too double check all connections to ensure they are all as they should be. I will then mount up my mixer ring and check if it will run any better of LPG, then if all else fails try the XG ECU and see how we go. Still, if im running the EL engine AND ECU i would have thought there shouldnt be tune issues.

I currently have thermos running with their own wiring running off a thermo switch so that side of things isnt an issue, only the vaccuum solinoid switching is what i would be missing out of but it doesnt see over 4 grand TOO often. Its still puzzling to me why these issues are only really apparent with ppl running BBM's in XG's and not E series, hopefully someone more knowledgable can explain this one.

Thanks again Saltez, fingers crossed i find something simple tonight that i have overlooked

Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I imagine if you run it on LPG then there should be no problems at all as it is to do with the fuel maps on cold start. LPG should fix it but it depends what you want your car for really. I was always going to boost mine so leaving the gas on there wasn't an option. I still need to strip out my mixer and drop my tank.....

I ran the thermo fans from the EL ECU not a thermo switch, so I dont know if that would affect anything as far as the tune goes. Its a pretty easy mod cause u just get the relays from an el from the passenger headlight and wire them in. I guess it just gets rid of the fault code in the ECU though.

Who knows why the problem is only in the XG's or maybe I am just fussy and want everything perfect and other people are putting up with it.... or dumping in big cams giving it a rich idle lol.

Good luck mate :)

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Alright so... Got the mixer ring in and hooked up. The low down hesitation seems to be gone but I found it still doesn't rev out freely. It is down on power and revs will only increase at a slow gradual pace.

Is this limp home mode? And is it related to not having knock sensor wired up? I have heard it should effect things but want to be sure.

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:13 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

have you set the ignition timing as per el??? el diagnostic mode is set different to ea-ed/xg

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:15 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

As in the process is different? Ive shorted the left pins and set base timing to TDC as apposed to 10 deg BTDC, is this correct?

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:20 pm 

NSW, Australia

yes the process is right..\
have you checked the bbm is operating corectly???

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

well i hope ive done it correctly. What i actually did was set the distributor up, put the ECU in then shorted the pins out, waited for the revs to drop down then waited a bit more and turned the car off. I might do it again to see if it makes a difference.

The vacuum solenoid is operational on the BBM yes.. wouldnt be lean gas mixture would it?

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ea falcon

NSW, Australia

quick question: what air temp sensor are you using xg or el

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:40 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

I believe its likely to be the XG unit, as ffrom memory they appeared to be the same unit. Do they differ? could this effect things?

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

well when i started with mine it was cfi so i had to start from scratch so i got the ed mpfi loom and i had a el out front for part's on the final look over before i installed it all i noticed the air temp plug's/ wire color and unit were the same but when i held them in my hand side by side it was wired opposite :shock: so i used the el sensor and plug but tapped them in opposite and mine runs sweet 8-)

EA falcon(S-Pac) AU engine and injector's, EL BBM conversion,K&N pod,EL ECU,T5 5speed,EL Streering rack, EL Brake system, Extractor's 2 1/2in high flow cat, through 2 1/2in mandrel bent pipe with Lukey Performance muffler

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:30 pm 

NSW, Australia

there the same sensor from ea mpfi to el, so you dont need wo worrie..

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

i figured the sensor was the same... but the wire's in the plug were opposite from ed mpfi to el i just switched them b4 any possible problem's arose and have not had any. figured it's worth a shot if all other avenues are exhausted :roll:

Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

hey mate, just a thought. You said that when you put the mixer ring on that when you accelerate the revs only rise gradually. This is when your running on LPG???

Maybe you need to richen up the mixture. Correct me if I'm wrong but on my lpg system on my car (which I dont use anymore) there is an idle mixture screw on the lpg converter and also a "power" screw which controls how much flows through when you are accelerating. This is usually found along the hose that comes from the converter going to the mixer ring.

Maybe its as simple as that??? Worth a shot? Otherwise if you have had the throttle body off and stuff. Check the TPS is giving the right reading. When you are on Wide Open Throttle. Should tell you how to do that in your service manual if you have one..... All you need is a multimetre. I think its something like 0.7volts +- 0.15 volts at closed position and 4.5volts at wide open throttle. You just need to jack your multimeter into one of the wires in the back of the TPS plug (I cant remember which one) and earth multimeter lead on the black one.

Serious though, i used to get rev hang and everything with an auto ecu with the resistor trick. Soon as I got a j3 chip it fixed that too.... Might be worth a serious look into.

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Last night I got the chance to swap the XG ECU back in and reset the timing and as expected it has made a world of difference. It seems the fairmont ghia ECU wasnt happy about something, but for the time being the XG ECU is working good. Eventually i plan to install a 977B cam with chip to suit, and will get them to include BBM switching function in chip for XG ECU.

I can report that i am chuffed with the new found torque, the car goes harder than it ever has before and is very enjoyable to drive. Would recommend the BBM conversion to anyone running a log manifold and looking for a decent performance improvement. Thank you fellas for your inputs

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 6  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6