Fuel Level sensor. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel Level sensor.
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR8 / GHIA / GT

NSW, Australia

Hi all,
I think I've read about this problem before where the fuel level reading is not accurate.

Vehicle is an ELXR8.

Trip comp low warning beeping comes on at 110-120 DTE at times, instead of the standard 80 DTE.
Going to fill up at this point would only get approx 55 ltrs in, so it's got plently of fuel left, but the low warning is coming on way to early?
When filling up, the gauage goes well over the F, yet the low warning starts on the 1/4 mark or just under, not at the ornage section on the gauge.

Is there a fuel level sensor somewhewre on the tank?
Is it common for it to play up with age?
Is it worth replacing?
Where is it located.
Where can new sensors be obtained from?

Thank you.

EL II XR8
Pedders Sports Suspension
Pacemaker Exhaust system with Hi-Flow Cats
Tickford / GT Body Kit
Electric Sunroof / Moonroof
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Post subject: Re: Fuel Level sensor.
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

This link may shed some light on the subject: interior-modifications-f14/inacurate-ef-gli-fuel-gauge-t8249.html

I had my unit out of the tank not long ago and was surprised to see a conventional resistance type sender unit in the tank (gone are the capacitance probes of the X series cars). Float arm connects to the wiper arm (variable resistor) and changes resistance based on fuel level. To answer part of your question, the sender units can cause trouble if the wiper has worn away the resistance material itself. If the float arm was bent slightly, this would alter the amount of resistance you have for a given fuel level. An inaccurate fuel level and warning would result. Of cause do the diagnostics on the instrument panel and check for smooth gauge movement.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:42 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

I have also seen in the past floats (other brands)which have small holes or splits in them. This causes the float arm to ride lower in the fuel than normal and cause inaccurate readings.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Didnt your car have a tune and a sety of 24lbs fitted, if so the trip computer is now essentially useless to you
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Boxcar Love

QLD, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Didnt your car have a tune and a sety of 24lbs fitted, if so the trip computer is now essentially useless to you
Brett

I have a tune, bigger injectors and some other work and my trip comp works as it should still. Why would you assume otherwise?

Commodore australia's favorite car??? What a load of s**t

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR8 / GHIA / GT

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
Brett

Yes I did Brett, well the tune isn't complete, anyway I'm curious to know how the trip computer is now useless?
This issue I've brought up is regardless of what the engine can or can't do, it's just about poor fuel level accuracy.

EL II XR8
Pedders Sports Suspension
Pacemaker Exhaust system with Hi-Flow Cats
Tickford / GT Body Kit
Electric Sunroof / Moonroof
FR19 Simmons Wheels
Ghia / GT Interior

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

you havent had the dash cluster apart doing the led conversion?

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:01 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Quote:
When filling up, the gauage goes well over the F, yet the low warning starts on the 1/4 mark or just under, not at the ornage section on the gauge.

My NF Fairlane is the same. Warning normally on a just a bees d*ck under 1/4 tank. Haven't taken much notice of how much petrol it takes because I mainly run lpg.

Had a look at the wiring diagram. Only 2 wires for the sender unit (according to Max Ellery) with one of them being the ground. The output wire goes to the cluster computer so its a fairly simple system. I gather that the trip computer gets its data from the cluster computer for estimated distance to go and fuel usage. I think your best bet would be to remove the sender unit and check its resistance at different levels. You could simulate a full tank, 1/2 tank and empty and compare the resistance to the values snap0964 posted in my link above. You could source another sender from a wrecker and exchange to see if you have any difference.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]