Fordmods Logo

how to check isc 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: how to check isc
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

hi just wondering how to check an ef isc and how to change the idle if at all?

thanks

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Post subject: Re: how to check isc
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:32 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

Idle speed on ef is controlled by the ecu.You can adjust the base idle speed,but only when motor is running in diagnostic mode.To check isc,remove 2 mounting bolts and electrical connector,and remove Isc from vehicle.Problems with isc will usually cause idle problems and will give the diagnostic error codes 411/412. Check that the 2 holes/passages on throttle body(where isc mounts on) are clear/unbstructed.Next look insde isc,if it is full of carbon or dirt,spray carby cleaner in it and allow to dry.Remove the round black plastic cap from the side of ISC(do this by grasping black plastic cap and pulling it sideways away from the ISc unit).Inside this black plastic cap is small round felt filter,if this is dirty clean by using compressed air,or wash and allow to dry if really dirty.Replace filter and cap.(i have seen qualified mechanics replace perfectly good isc units because the were not aware that this filter exists).
Grab a multi meter and check that the resistance between the 2 terminals on the isc is 9.6 kilo ohms,plus or minus 10 %.Replace isc if out of spec.Also check that you have battery voltage at ISC connector with ignition on(all warning lights on with engine off).If there is no voltage at connector,idle speed control circuit in ecu may be rooted(usually blown capacitors or dry solder joints).Sorry for writing a book, but hope this helps.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:44 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

nice, i didn't know about the 9.6KOhm's thing.

Will have to check out the ISC's next time i give them a clean.

Also i didn't know about the little filter in the black round thing.

Silly question does this also apply for AU's?

Also how do you adjust the idle speed/rev?

I thought that i should remove the connector to the ISC, which will almost stall the car, then adjust the screw thingy on the throttle body. Then once i get a good idle speed/rev, plug back in the ISC connector.

When i done this the car was revving its titty's off.

So i had to undo what i done to the throttle body screw adjuster.

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

does the filter thing apply to EB?

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:27 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

interesting i think this should be turned into a sticky or added to the tech doc's

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

As stated above,idle speed on ef 6 cylinder falcons is controlled by the ecu and is non adjustable,just turning the throttle stop screw with connector off will not work.Base idle speed however,is adjustable,but must be adjusted with engine running and ecu in diagnostic mode.For ecu to maintain correct idle speed,the base idle speed must be set to between 680-720rpm in diagnostic mode only.I will post the procedure for how to adjust base idle speed on ef 6 cylinder later on when I dig out my factory ef workshop manual..Im a bit busy at the moment..i would assume that any vehicle fitted with an isc would have to have a small filter at the bypass air entry point..so the same should apply to eb ,el au falcons fitted with an isc...but I have only owned an ef(and still own an ef xr6) so I cannot confirm this for sure....anyway..gotta go now..girlfriend is starting to whinge..will post more later.

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

so thats why my idle is always off. forget to set it in diagnostic mode

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

How do you put it in diagnostic mode and set the base idle speed? This is some noice info you got there mate.

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

no, the idle speed is set by the ecu..its programmed in...

u do have to set the tps closed point tho..

from my experience set your idle with the isc disconnected to around 500-600 ...check tps voltage is still in the idle range (if not adjust)...reconnect isc...if idle is still playing up and everything else is good (such as vac leaks, timing and ecu->isc wiring) then clean isc...if still plays up replace isc...

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Ford LTD DA 1989

NSW, Australia

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Falcon XR6

NSW, Australia

I know this is old and I'm digging a little but I wanted to correct some information.

The resistance you should be getting when measuring across the pins should be 9.6 (+/-10%) OHMS not KILOHMS.

I was using my multimetre on 20kohm setting (from the info I read above) and was getting readings of .01 & .02 but a quick read of the workshop manual confirmed it was only ohms, so on the 20ohm setting I got a reading of 11.6. Made much more sense.

So (as you can guess) mine is out of spec and needs replacement, but wanted to add that info here so no one else got caught up with the wrong settings.

Cheers!

1997 EL Falcon XR6 Sedan
Cold Air Intake | Sequential Scoop | Pacemaker 4480 & 2.5" Exhaust

1976 XB Falcon 500 Wagon
Sherwood Green | 3spd/250CI | Hurricane Extractors + Custom Twin 2" Exhaust | Running Whitewalls on a 2.5" Drop

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]