Fordmods Logo

LPG Tank in a Wagon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG Tank in a Wagon
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hi all,
I was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an LPG installer who can obtain and install the underfloor tanks for an Falconwagon (the one that goes where the spare wheel lives). I am interested in going LPG, but dont want to loose a large amount of cargo space (the relocation of the spare wheel is fine).
Cheers,
Cartman

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

sales@crescentmotorsport.com.au

or

(02) 9600 6229

Speak to Joe..

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

there are two ways you can do it.

Install "Scuba Tanks" 3 small tanks that are joined together and only hold about 55ltrs.

Or cut the fuel tank in half and install 1 large 90 ltr tank.

Both ways will mean your spare wheel will need to be installed in the cargo area of your wagon.

Most LPG installers can do either method.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The spare relocates upright near the rear right wheel arch. The bracket will bolt to the wheel arch and through the floor.
The E series wagons do leak through the weatherstrips at the bottom of the rear qtr windows, it can result in extreme cases the section in front of the rear wheels rusting through, so do pull the panels and check. Ford will only sell complete strip assy's, so getting a replacement through the wreckers is the cheaper option - ensure the clips are okay, as guaranteed you'll f**k a few getting your old strip off. As for sealing, short lengths of adhesive door weatherstrip hole punched works well - add a smear of silastic (not too much), as weathersrtip is still porous to an extent.
Just suggesting this as the RR qtr panel will be harder to access once the spare is relocated.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. The local installers here have NFI, they keep telling me "we only can put a tank behind the seat", when I ask them WTF have a wagon then they look stupid at me.

Thanks for the weatherstrip suggestion, I agree, much easier to do with nothing really in the way :)

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

cartman02au wrote:
The local installers here have NFI, they keep telling me "we only can put a tank behind the seat", when I ask them WTF have a wagon then they look stupid at me.
Probably better to steer clear of them then - I'm not an LPG installer/expert, but gee I've seen some 'shocker' installs. Might be worth you in the long run to make a trip for a few days, and get your system installed by someone who knows what they're doing, I'd say with travel/accomodation/meals and install cost, it would probably be close to what your local may charge you anyway.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

cartman02au wrote:
Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. The local installers here have NFI, they keep telling me "we only can put a tank behind the seat", when I ask them WTF have a wagon then they look stupid at me.

Thanks for the weatherstrip suggestion, I agree, much easier to do with nothing really in the way :)

Find someone else! Installing the tank under the floor has been down for many years. I f these guy don't know about it, then what else do they know nothing about.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]