Motec M800 vs 'Flashed' AU ECU 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Motec M800 vs 'Flashed' AU ECU
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Vic wrote:
Joe, I'm more up to date on Wolf v500 ECU than I am on Motec but have Motec been able to develop any ECU revisions allowing light cruise, cold start / idle adjustments? I would have thought that if you had it installed in 2000 or so, maybe they have done some updates in the last 8 - 9 years??

Vic, yes there have been revisions since the ecu was installed and I've had the software updated...but there hasn't yet been time given to a detailed tune in these areas.

Steady ED wrote:
Vic, theres adjustment for that on the M800, it's just a matter of time like every aftermarket EMS.
You aren't going to get factory like performance in those areas from a few hours on the dyno, even with a gun tuner.

Joe, if I were you I'd try and get familiar with the M800 software, then do a bit of research on tuning (Megasquirt related sites have alot of good info) so you can adjust idle/coldstart/part throttle stuff yourself.

The other option is let your tuner know that you want him to concentrate on those areas, and give him more time with the car.

SteadyED, that's a good suggestion....actually another reason why I'd like to stay with aftermarket ecu if I can - the ability to tinker yourself. I'll do some research into adjusting these problem areas through the site you suggested. I've found the same thing with the water injection map which is the only thing I've adjusted so far....that with time and mucking around you can get a better result than what the tuner initially set up. Hopefully I can get my head around the part throttle/start/idle stuff.

I'll definately ask the tuner to spend time in these areas once I do get it re-tuned though.

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:44 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: R34 GTR

VIC, Australia

Just do what i did and buy a good book!

Something like "How to tune and modify engine managment systems"

LUMPY-6

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

getting a book might actually be a good idea, there are are books on everything these days,

if at first your dont succed hit it with a hammer

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BLOWN 347 EB GT/ BF XR6 TURBO

Power: 345 rwkw

NSW, Australia

and one other thing to consider your motec is illegal and wont pass emissions as with standard ecu it is legal even if it has been chipped or flash tuned so no canary... factory ecus will always beat aftermarket ecus for driveabilty and emmison related areas as they spend millions of cash and years of testing on a engine if you have ever seen a factory engine test bench they run in cylinder pressure senors and all sort of cool stuff to get it right i run standard el v8 ecu and now have datalogging function with the new chips out there and it controls my nitrous and huge cammed 347 no probs ...also the extra stuff like trip meters and cruise still work proerly 8-)

MY CAR PLZ TAKE A LOOK forums/xtt909-update-t66227.html

DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DAZZLE, EBI347, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN ,SWC, XTT909

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

XTT909 wrote:
and one other thing to consider your motec is illegal and wont pass emissions as with standard ecu it is legal even if it has been chipped or flash tuned so no canary... factory ecus will always beat aftermarket ecus for driveabilty and emmison related areas as they spend millions of cash and years of testing on a engine if you have ever seen a factory engine test bench they run in cylinder pressure senors and all sort of cool stuff to get it right i run standard el v8 ecu and now have datalogging function with the new chips out there and it controls my nitrous and huge cammed 347 no probs ...also the extra stuff like trip meters and cruise still work proerly 8-)

There are ways around all of that. In QLD you can run an aftermarket ECU. A suggestion is maybe see if what the E Series guys do is able to be done with the AU and have the AU ECU controlling idle, while the Motec does the rest.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:56 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
XTT909 wrote:

There are ways around all of that. In QLD you can run an aftermarket ECU. A suggestion is maybe see if what the E Series guys do is able to be done with the AU and have the AU ECU controlling idle, while the Motec does the rest.

The motec is piggybacked to the standard AU ecu....I think the ford ecu is actually controlling idle, which means any idle issue would more likely be mechanical? The motec is controlling startup - currently I have it set so that I pump the throttle with ignition on before cranking over...2-3pumps in winter, 1 or none at the moment....as it wasn't working out how much fuel was needed very well itself. Motec obviously controls light throttle/cruise, which are problem areas currently (probably tune related?). Also, when I back off quickly and brake, with air con on, the revs dive to a point where occasionally the car stalls.

I'll definately get it re-tuned after I've intercooled it (current slow project), and have the tuner give attention to the problem areas. This might solve it hopefully! I'd still like to stay motec rather than factory if possible....all the extra aux outputs allow me to control things like the water injection, intercooler water pump, thermo fans etc. I'm not sure how some of these things could be controlled using the standard ecu?

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BLOWN 347 EB GT/ BF XR6 TURBO

Power: 345 rwkw

NSW, Australia

can i ask why u have piggy back the motec when it can controll everything why not just run the motec only will solve your drivability issues and chip the ecu with the smartlock disable parameter set so it will run the motec all the time?? as the setup u have is silly if the std ecu is controling idle and the motec controlling cold start wtf?? no wonder is runs s**t just run strraight motec s**t its a m800 best ecu on ther market ? :?: :?: :?:

MY CAR PLZ TAKE A LOOK forums/xtt909-update-t66227.html

DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DAZZLE, EBI347, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN ,SWC, XTT909

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

XTT909 wrote:
can i ask why u have piggy back the motec when it can controll everything why not just run the motec only will solve your drivability issues and chip the ecu with the smartlock disable parameter set so it will run the motec all the time?? as the setup u have is silly if the std ecu is controling idle and the motec controlling cold start wtf?? no wonder is runs s**t just run strraight motec s**t its a m800 best ecu on ther market ? :?: :?: :?:

XTT, good question! I just spoke with the motec tuner. It was installed in '02 (not by me), and most likely setup so that the ford ecu runs all the non-critical functions - air con, cruise, smartlock, dash, etc. He said the motec can control this stuff, but its not worth the time/cost to do.

The motec controls all the critical engine functions - fuel, spark, timing, vct, etc, including idle control we think (my mistake earlier...I thought the ford ecu controlled this). So motec does control cold start + idle (def makes more sense!).

He indicated that most of the problems I mentioned above should be easily enough solved....and that he just needs to know what they are, so he can hunt for and sort the problem.

Sounds like I just need to finish the current work I'm doing and send it in for a good re-tune....and hopefully should run nice after that.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2