Fordmods Logo

What's with people suddenly tuning their own cars? 

Page 1 of 6 [ 78 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: What's with people suddenly tuning their own cars?
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Hi

I've read a fair bit about some quarter horse software. People are buying them to tune ea-el and au cars as well.

What are these people doing? Experimenting with their own cars? Playing with fire.. The easiest way to destroy your motor is with a poor tune. From what I'm reading its the blind leading the blind. Absolutely no idea how to tune but giving all sorts of advice to other backyard newby tuners.

On the other ford forum people post all sorts of graphs and torque tables and give all sorts of advice but they have absolutely no idea.

Is it possible to learn the ropes and tune your car or are these people playing with fire and should use a professional to do a proper job.

Gone to a better place

Post subject: Re: What's with people suddenly tuning their own cars?
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:21 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Explorer

NSW, Australia

Wow
Who cares what people do with their own cars mate!

This is pointless speculation/hypothetical rubbish. You should get a job in politics with all the bs that dribbles from your mouth

kangaroos and radiators are a bad mixture

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:31 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

If you get flamed from responses in this thread its your own doing.
Thats where this is heading.
Only 3 or 4 maybe 5 members i know of on here using a quarterhorse. :idea:

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

It might be a case for educating me on this. I just think its very risky to tune yourself as getting it wrong can mean new motor. Its strange that these tuning products become available well after these model cars.

im interested in hearing from those that self tune using quarterhorse or other similar product.

Gone to a better place

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:51 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

If you want some education on how the software actually works then you dont start a thread the way you did and basically say that people using the software are inexperienced. Experience comes with practice. If it cost someone a new motor then thats life.
You start the thread asking detailed questions asking what are the risks of using it , ease of use etc.
That way you dont offend people and you get an idea of it.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

I'm one of the QH users. And the people you are bagging on aff are some of the most knowledgeable QH users I know. If you get the AFR's spot on with a wideband and don't go stupid with the timing how can you go wrong?

Much more dangerous changing MAF's and other mods and not checking AFR's under all conditions. This is 100 times more likely to fry a motor than someone using a QH with a wideband.

You are a moron.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Tuning your own vehicle is quite possible, reasonably straightforward, and safe - if you know what you are doing. A number of Fordmodders are self-tuning using TI Performance gear. Check out this thread: ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/tuning-your-falcon-with-a-t-i-performance-j3-chip-t68577.html.

I have been tuning my EF XR6 for a couple months with great success. I read everything I could get my hands on about tuning electronic engine management/fuel injection. This book is particularly good: http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Tuning- ... 1932494901 - especially for Speed Density systems like the Falcon six. This one's also good: http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Fuel- ... 1557885575.

But there is heaps of free information available online from: TI Performance, Haltech, Megasquirt, AEM, Autospeed, Direct Link, Dynamic EFI, FAST, Mustangs & Fast Fords, Chip Torque, oldfuelinjection.com, etc. (Google is your friend). The EECIV/EECV used in the Falcon is basically the same as used in the Mustang 5.0, so there are thousands of people tuning that ECU happy to share information.

After learning this stuff from scratch (I'm no tech boffin), I bought the tuning pack from TI Performance, have been getting good results and having fun at the same time. You NEED a wideband O2 sensor to tune safely, otherwise you could go way lean at high load and damage your engine. Also, when tuning spark, you make the changes in small increments and test after each change; simply adding 10 degrees advance across the board is going to end in tears. So, a bit of knowledge, a bit of common sense, the right gear, and anyone can tune. (If I can, anyone can :D ).

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

More dribble from the tardnip.
The amount of slagging out you do of people must mean you definitely sit down to piss.
You need to remember the vast majority of us "uneducated backyard newbys" actually have experience in tuning from the days of Holley double pumpers and Mallory twin points.
The principle of not blowing a motor up us the same but instead of drilling jets , putting guitar wire in air bleeds and filing advance weights we now just change figures in a laptop.
Now with data logging and wide bands it is actually safer to people who know what they are doing because we can see real time what is happening where in the old days it was tuning by ear and seat of the pants.
Once again but because either you don't agree or you don't have the skills or mental capacity to do something , anyone that does do it is stupid.
You prove yourself dumber and dumber with every post you make.
Why don't you jump on AFF and tell the people you are referring to that they are uneducated and have no idea? That's right , you don't have the balls.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

This is all this dropkick is doing...

Don't feed the troll.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

People havent all of a sudden starting tunning their own cars its been going on for years. Lets get that one out the way.

Now how do you think people learn, you have to start somewhere. The professional's didnt know what they were doing once upon a time either. If your not a tool on forums and ask questions people will help you. I bit of common sense goes a long way.

I asking for a vote that we move all of turnips threads to spam as they are not helpful and most of the time a deleted.

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

shipo_1150 wrote:
People havent all of a sudden starting tunning their own cars its been going on for years. Lets get that one out the way.

Now how do you think people learn, you have to start somewhere. The professional's didnt know what they were doing once upon a time either. If your not a tool on forums and ask questions people will help you. I bit of common sense goes a long way.

I asking for a vote that we move all of turnips threads to spam as they are not helpful and most of the time a deleted.

I second that motion.
All of his threads are epic bowel motions!

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
shipo_1150 wrote:

I second that motion.
All of his threads are epic bowel motions!

I second your seconding...
Every time he posts a turnip farmer dies of shame.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Guys don't shoot the postman, I'm just saying.

Many of the top tuners in the country invest in dynos to test and develop their tunes have the right equipment to measure afr, measure power outputs etc etc.

But many on here say buying an eBay tuning device will yield similar results.. I'm not opposed to someone learning the craft of tuning but without all of the equipment using their own car as a guinea pig? I find it extraordinary.

Half the problems rattled off on forums are probably a result of backyard tuning attempts. But when the problems happen they don't come clean with the true cause. (Their tuning)..

I've never heard of a quarterhorse? Strange name for a tuning device.

Gone to a better place

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Ideas for new threads.

1) PICTURES AND GRAFFIX OF TURNIPS TITTIES

2) No, that's all I have. There is no 2

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

You can really tell a turnip thread just from reading the title on the home page, can't you?

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 6  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next