Fordmods Logo

Wiring a Tech Edge 2J1 Wideband O2 Sensor Controller into EF 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Wiring a Tech Edge 2J1 Wideband O2 Sensor Controller into EF
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I'm fitting a Tech Edge 2J1 Wideband O2 Sensor Controller ( http://www.wbo2.com/2j/2j1.htm ) into my car. I have a couple of things that I'm stuck on and a few that I just want to confirm, in regards to wiring it in, they are:

Quote:
Analogue Inputs USER1 & USER2

The BROWN and RED wires of the I/O Cable are two 0-5 Volts single ended analogue inputs (USER1 & USER2). They can be used for sampling voltages such as TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure), but remember that the measured voltage should not exceed 5 Volts. They are not suitable for measuring pulse inputs unless the pulses have been processed by an external circuit.

The USER voltages are sampled at a resolution of 10 bits at a rate determined by logging configuration parameters (default 10 sample/sec). The 2 channels have at least a 10k ohm input impedance. The 10 bit resolution means variation as small as 5 milliVolts can be detected, but in practice the noise limit sets the resolution to as low as 15 to 20 milliVolts.

Note that unterminated inputs will float and may show a voltage level when not being used. Either ignore this effect or physically connect all unterminated inputs to the BLACK Ground wire.

# BROWN
USR 1 - A 0-5v Analog channel for logging sensors such as MAP & TPS.
- I assume that if I connect this to DB-Y wire from the MAP sensor which goes to ECU pin 34, it will give me MAP sensor readings. I assume that the factory sensors output is 5v or less.
# RED
USR 2 - As per USR 2, values appear in the RS232 frame generated by the 2J1 unit.
- I assume that if I connect this to DG-BK wire from Throttle Position Sensor which goes to ECU pin 89, it will give me TPS sensor readings. I assume that the factory sensors output is 5v or less.

# YELLOW
Vbatt - Provides battery voltage to remote 12 volt sensors or displays.
- Is this an input or an output? i.e. do I have to connect it to 12v source in order for the unit to function, or is this an output from the unit providing 12v to something else?

Quote:
WBlin GREEN & BLUE on I/O Cable , Wideband Output
[Linear AFR Output - 2J1 units]

A synthesized linear WBlin voltage is produced by the onboard microcontroller using a 10 bit A/D PWM converter (with single pole filter). We describe this as having an accuracy of 9.5 bits (rather than 10) to distinguish it from outputs on our other units that use more accurate hardware DACs. Other Tech Edge controllers use a more accurate 12 bit DAC for better performance, and this one of the major differences between 2J and other Tech Edge controllers.

* Note-1: WBlin- (green) must be tied to a voltage close to GND. Failure to do this will cause WBlin+ to be undefined.

2J1's WBlin can output a maximum of 5.00 Volts and can be re-programmed. A special feature of WBlin is what we call a differential output. The WBlin+ output wire (BLUE) is the signal, and the WBlin- output wire (GREEN) is the ground reference (actually an input). This arrangement is designed to reduce the amount of noise and possible voltage offset errors seen by a device connected to WBlin. The WBlin differential output is described more fully here. WBlin can be re-programmed using the Config utility to cover any part of the AFR range from Lambda = 0.6 to free-air over the 0 to 5 Volt range.

For the default mapping shown, to convert WBlin to an AFR, simply multiply the measured voltage by 2 and add 9. The advantage of a linear output is that it's easy to write a conversion function from the wideband voltage to AFR.

* Note-2: Remember that WBo2 is a Lambda meter and is "calibrated" to display AFR for fuels with a stoich AFR of 14.7 (ie. "unleaded"). For other fuels that don't have a stoich value of 14.7, the x-axis (AFR) of the graph shown here should be modified.

* Note-3: while the WBlin output is accurate, the Lambda data in the RS232 data frame is inherently more accurate and does not suffer from some possible sources of signal degradation that beset all analogue data.

# GREEN
WBlin- - Ground reference for WBlin+, should be tied to GND or close to GND as it affects WBlin+ if left floating.
# BLUE
WBlin+ - 9.5 bit PWM-sourced Differential Wideband output.

- I assume that these don't need to be used unless using some sort of wideband gauge or data logger.

Quote:
NBsim VIOLET on I/O Cable , Simulated Narrowband Output
[Simulated NB Curve]

A synthesized narrowband (NBsim) voltage is produced by the onboard microcontroller using an 8 bit A/D PWM converter (with single pole filter), and a 65 word lookup table. Linear interpolation improves lookup accuracy. We describe this as having an accuracy of 7.5 bits to distinguish it from outputs on our other units that use hardware DACs. The full 0 to 5 Volt output is available, but restricting the output to 0 to 1 volt reduces the number of possible steps to around 200 (~5 mV per step).

The NB output is designed to be compatible with the raw output of a Bosch LSM-11 sensor. Refer to this eXcel spreadsheet for the graph of the default NBsim vs AFR.

As NBsim can re-programmed it is possible to do a number of interesting things such as fooling the engine's ECU (if equipped with a NB sensor) into running richer or leaner than it would do otherwise.

# VIOLET
NBsim - 7.5 bit PWM-sourced programmable output, used for Narrowband sensor simulation.
- so this one I can connect to the DG-DB wire running from the narrow band HEGO Sensor to Pin 35 on the ECU, which then provides the NB HEGO sensor signal to the ECU (instead of having a WB and NB sensor, just have the WB one with the NB simmulation for the ECU).

Quote:
Pulse Inputs - RPMLO and PULSEVSS

2J1 has two PULSE channels that are captured for logging. These are separated into two inputs (RPM & VSS), with RPM being primarily intended for use with an ignition coil or tach style signal (0-12v COIL). Refer below for details of the Secondary VSS input. Diagram at right shows routing of RPM input via the Low-Pass filter that can be used to assist with installations that generate a large amount of high frequency noise on the RPM pickup. :

* RPM input for direct connection to a COIL (or a Tach signal as generated by some vehicles). The WHITE input normally connects to the wire going between the points and the COIL. On vehicles that have electronic ignition and a distributor you would connect to the point between the transistor switch (or ignition amplifier) and the coil. The COIL input should never be connected to any voltage greater than 12 Volts or damage to the WBo2 unit may result.

* VSS input for a lower voltage "logic level" signal as is generated by some sensors or produced as a low voltage output by an ECU (possibly the input to a transistor ignition amplifier). the 5 volt pulse will be at some small multiple of the engine's revs. Unfortunately, the loading (low input impedance) of the RPM input sometimes makes it infeasible to connect to sensitive circuits such as an inductive crank angle sensor. External circuitry may be required to connect to a Variable Reluctance pickup, or VSS style sensor.

The RPM and VSS inputs can be used at the same time, and are represented by two separate fields in the RS232 data frame.

# PINK
RPM - 12 volt compatible (COIL style) RPM pickup for logging engine revolutions.
# WHITE
PULSE - 5 volt PULSE input for logging an additional pulse input, intended for Vehicle Speed Sensors.

The above two are the two that I am really stuck on. I assume that the Pink wire wants an RPM source and the White wants a source indicating the speed of the vehicle. Any idea where is the best source for each of these from an EF ECU (i.e. which pins/wires)?

Post subject: Re: Wiring a Tech Edge 2J1 Wideband O2 Sensor Controller into EF
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/datalogger-setup-t91422.html

Its a few threads down the page. Should answer most of your questions.

Post subject: Re: Wiring a Tech Edge 2J1 Wideband O2 Sensor Controller into EF
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Cheers cheers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]