68mm Throttle body - RESULTS!!! 

Page 5 of 8 [ 117 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

gogetta wrote:
Im a bit concerned that the throttle shaft might break now that you have weakened it by removing half of the shaft...

is it possible to keep the shaft fully intact?

I was looking at this also Gogettem... The thing is that although the shaft is "thinner" it was always in TWO HALVES anyway wasn't it, as the butterfly went through the middle? There is virtually no load on the shaft as the load of spring and throttle is all taken up by the arms before the shaft.

The BUTTERFLY itself will add strength to the shaft. The shaft it only really acting as a "pin" at one end to keep the butterfly in position. I doubt that the shaft strength in the middle will account for much at all, unless your air pressure starts bending the butterfly when the throttle is shut or a little open!!!!

UPDATE --- GUESS WHAT? It broke! Here it is after five years service....
Lucky I was pulling car apart looking for rev hang issues. Am amazed it all stayed together enough to work (kind of)... Took a while to close sometimes! Hhaahhaahah.

So, I pulled apart a spare throttle and put a hack saw blade between the sides of the shaft to open it up for the bigger butterfly and then had to hammer the butterfly in as it was so tight... Awesome now.

But now am back to having two halves... Like original. Just bigger.

Hmmmm, I like it a lot. Wonder if FAST XR will swap one for one of my phenolic spacers?....

Last edited by fiend on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ok, instead of using an exchange basis, i would like to collect about 12 throttle bodies and get them all machined up at once, so far i have 2, so i need another 10, if anyone has some spare ones laying around can you please pm me and ill buy them off you, id bee looking at paying $30 posted, and the throttle bodies will be sold for $200 posted...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

what size is the hole behind the throttle body in the manifold?

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:05 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
what size is the hole behind the throttle body in the manifold?

the hole in the manifold is 69mm. so the throttle body will suit it perfectly...

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you may also have to slightly open up the gasket as well... im now up to 4 throttle bodies! 8 more needed

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

^^^^^
Maybe you could take a rasp to the hole in the manifold and enlarge it a little to suit? Or maybe the throttle has more effect on air-flow as it has a whopping great butterfly sitting in mid-stream?

Is pretty painless to take the top half of your BBM off the I6 and take a bit of metal off here and there.
Whilst your at it, you may also want to check that the inlet ports to the engine aren't being restricted by a Ford original gasket sticking up 2mm (blocking the bottom of the port) or the original Ford manifold isn't in perfect alignment with the inlet ports on the head. OR a combination of both....

I, admittedly, have not pulled apart many - but I'd say nine out of ten have had either one, or both of these issues. Ie - The port on the head is roughly 39mm, and the hole in the manifold is 39mm, but the holes ain't lining up by a mm, so therefore you are actually dealing with a 37mm x 39mm ellipse type shape...

And that is how they've come out the factory...

Sort of.

Pull one apart and check. You should see swelling on the original Ford gasket where it is not clamped between the two metal parts, and also note the the metal parts are leaving different marks on the gasket proving that the metal parts aren't lining up 100% anyway.

While you're there, you could port and polish all 12 holes (I6 specific, as I know nothing about the 8's)... I'd suggest rounding off the inlets in the head as original casting is rough and by doing the same to the manifold you'll be guaranteed that you'll be getting closer to 40mm of airflow (even if it does do a 1mm step down or up or left or right).

When designing the phelonic spacer I had to increase the hole sizes to 41.2mm circles to make sure I was not blocking the airflow in the slightest. This size also allows for the larger port heads of the XR6, Tickford and AU's.

Unfortunately I threw the last BBM I had onto the scrap metal pile a month back (idiot... You know how things sit around for months and months, no one wants them, so you throw them away?....!)....

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:20 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Falcon

Power: 146 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I did cut the gasket to suit the throttle body aswell.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

I put the standard throttle body next to the new one & you can see a huge differance in size.

FORD EL 4.0L. Crow cam, T.I Performance J3 Chip, Vernier cam gear, SPR ported head, 68mm TB, AU head gasket + ARP studs, AU injectors, Pacey 4480, High flow cat, Shift kit, Stallie, 3:73 TrueTrac.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Hi troyman i forgot to adjust your tps when you last came to the workshop. We must have got side tracked. Please come over & i will adjust the tps for you. Sorry about that.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:49 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

racer wrote:
Hi troyman i forgot to adjust your tps when you last came to the workshop. We must have got side tracked. Please come over & i will adjust the tps for you. Sorry about that.

lol thats ok..
i ended up checking it..
i drilled it and adjusted it but then at full throtle it was under specified voltage..
so i had a spare laying around which turned out to be within specs so that one didnt need to be adjusted so its all good now..
thanks anyway.....

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:39 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

OK TROYMAN AS LONG AS IT'S ALL GOOD.

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey mate do you have any idea when you will be doing the group buy? id love to get one of these

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

what i suggest is that you guys start a list so you dont miss out. ill start a new thread, this will not be a group buy as ill have all of the items complete when i start selling them, i will take no money in advance...

ill put a link to the new thread in here

07 BF MKII XR6T

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ok thanks mate

1. GeZza200

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/post927946.html#927946

here is the for sale thread.... any comments please ask in this thread to keep the other one clean...

07 BF MKII XR6T

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next