Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post subject: Re: 91 oct, 95 premium, 98 ultimate BP comparison
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Wow alot of guys swear by BP ultimate, I have never really been a fan of BP in general. It would be a good to compare the BP Ultimate, Shell V Power and Caltex Vortex against each other to see if there is any difference

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
I always thought that 91 was a more "raw" (i.e. not as refined) fuel as 98.

im thinking that they make 88 and boost it up to 91 with additives and ethonol,95 may be straight and 98 is 95 boosted with additives and ethonol,that way you only have two lines and cost effective and high output.they use dyes and other stuff,so cheap octane boosters and detonation additives are all good to keep costs down.leaded was cheaper to make and boost octane levels.but not green.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Childish, poorly thiught out claims require equally childish answers. Its the the only way to make one realise how absurd their claims are.
History has proven time and time again that forum diplomacy is nothng more than a form of flattery which results in nothing more than the OP going on to make more and more claims which become increasingly rdiculous and absurd in value. In other words, if the replies weren't childish, it would never click to you that he was toying with you and in actual fact you never sould have had a chance. We'd then soon be hearing stories of you beating Lambo murciellago's and the like in your stock as a rock body kitted taxi running 95RON fuel.

As to the real issue of the fuel here. Did you guys know that the greater the octane number of the fuel, the lower the energy content of the fuel. Octane is just a measure of the controlled burn of the fuel. In order to acheive smoother burn patterns. Burn rates and also energy content are reduced.
In perfect world you would make more power from the lower octane fuel cause it has a greater energy content but detonation places an artificial ceiling on the performance potential. Only reason that high octane fuels appear to make mord power is because their high octane rating allows more agressive timing. But of you were to put both fuels in an open jar and light them underneath a container of water. The lower octane fuel would bring the water to the boil quicker.

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Childish, poorly thiught out claims require equally childish answers. Its the the only way to make one realise how absurd their claims are.
History has proven time and time again that forum diplomacy is nothng more than a form of flattery which results in nothing more than the OP going on to make more and more claims which become increasingly rdiculous and absurd in value. In other words, if the replies weren't childish, it would never click to you that he was toying with you and in actual fact you never sould have had a chance. We'd then soon be hearing stories of you beating Lambo murciellago's and the like in your stock as a rock body kitted taxi running 95RON fuel.

As to the real issue of the fuel here. Did you guys know that the greater the octane number of the fuel, the lower the energy content of the fuel. Octane is just a measure of the controlled burn of the fuel. In order to acheive smoother burn patterns. Burn rates and also energy content are reduced.
In perfect world you would make more power from the lower octane fuel cause it has a greater energy content but detonation places an artificial ceiling on the performance potential. Only reason that high octane fuels appear to make mord power is because their high octane rating allows more agressive timing. But of you were to put both fuels in an open jar and light them underneath a container of water. The lower octane fuel would bring the water to the boil quicker.

Well put cabbi-dude.....energy rating such as boiling water is a different way....other than actual Knock testing fuel.
Lead additive that was used in Super back in the day was TEL...Tetraethyl Lead....with also poisons CATs.
In the 1920's, they used Tin to boost the octane rating of fuel...the trouble with Tin was it didn't stay in suspension very long....but they found TEL did. I was told that over 20yrs ago.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Nothing wrong with 91 in a turbo car. Provided you don't lean on the throttle.

hence why i bought a turbo car :twisted:

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Yeah but if you went on a coin toss run one day and found yourself somwhere between didyabringyabongalong, and whathebloodyhellisthisplacecalled you'd be stuffed cause all they sell is 91 (probaby still have a few galons of unsold super as well).
It would suck having to baby your forced induction car around for a few hundred kms but its not the end of the world.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

very true, 91 would be fine for cruising on long trips, not for spirited driving

it comes down to how you drive your car. if you like to give it some stick, then put some decent fuel in it

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Do you Aussies still have MOBIL? I was using BP ULTIMATE and moved to MOBIL 8000 (minimum of 97.5 RON, 7%-10% Ethanol). Seems to work quite bloody nicely and is fuel of choice. No problem going back to BP Ultimate when I can't get to the Mobil mind you.

NZ was to bring in a law demanding 7% of petrol be ethanol, but then the new Government may have canned this. Mobil was the first to do it, and are still advertising it as such at pump (and it does smell a lot nicer than the Shell products, so I guess it's still there...)

The web page from Mobil wrote:
Higher octane, more power…Higher octane fuels have higher amounts of energy per unit of fuel when compared to the regular unleaded petrols and therefore can provide improved fuel economy.

Under Heading What are the benefits of Mobil Synergy 8000? - http://www.mobil.co.nz/New_Zealand-Engl ... qanda.aspx

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

a few in sydney,sites are being closed around the place,the main players are bp,shell,caltex----woolies,coles.a few independants in wollongong,same in sydney----how many mergered into one company i dont know,esso,total mergered with caltex i think.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:11 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

winman wrote:
e10 may be called 91 RON but it has a octane output of 94-95 depending on which servo you go to, ba N/A can run on 91, i think its the turbos that are recommended to run on 95, but dont quote me on that

I was told by Ford that the BA XR's can run on 91 but 95 is the recommended fuel... and for an extra couple of $$ per tank I think it's recommended.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I have a fairly aggressive tune in my N/A ED 4.0.....so it needs 95 min...better on 98......found this out while towing the project home.....91 doesn't cut it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I run 91 and beat an xr6t....

He did have a s**t of wheelspin and then missed 2nd though, and I think I took about half the meat off my clutch. Must have been that 98 octane... :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ive used 91 (e10) and 98 and i didn't notice much of a difference in power, 91 with e10 produces an octane rating of about 94-95 as due to the way the ethanol burns. e85 which can only be run in certain cars (the new commys) produces a much higher octane rating, from what Ive head about 105.
only disadvantage of using 91 e10 i noticed is its not as clean as 98 and you do use more fuel.

apart from that i still fill up with 98 :lol: but more so to keep the engine running clean rather then performance.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

i generally use 91 (im a poor prick lol), but ive been getting somewhat of a "splutter" under acceleration
could this be caused by s**t fuel?

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

dylby1 wrote:
i generally use 91 (im a poor prick lol), but ive been getting somewhat of a "splutter" under acceleration
could this be caused by s**t fuel?

yeah spend the extra 20 and try some 98.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 6  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next