Fordmods Logo

Phil's BF SR "GT" Build Thread - Lots of Pics! 

Page 1 of 14 [ 198 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Phil's BF SR "GT" Build Thread - Lots of Pics!
Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi All

Well I thought it was about time that I wrote up a build thread for what I have done to my car so far and what I plan for the future.

Bought the car back in September 2006 a brand new BF Falcon SR. I was actually working at Power Ford at the time so got hooked up with an awesome deal.

For the next couple of years I didn’t really do many major mods to the car besides smash it lol. I did actually get an K&N air filter as a spur of the moment thing but really made hardly any difference at all, I was more getting it for the fact that you only had to clean it every 50,000km.

13/8/2007

Got some spotlights installed due to wear I live they come in real handy plus my dad was paying so didn’t want to pass up the opportunity. These are the only pics of the new spotlights I got off my mate but the original ones I got on this date that's why you can see the chrome stripe in this pic even though it was before I got it

7/10/2007

Finally managed to win some cheap chrome striping off ebay for my front and rear bar recess so installed that at a mates place, really fitted well with the blue and looked a treat.

Anyways back to the story, 4/7/2008 was a very sad morning for me, it was raining and well lets say the a*** drifted into a curb quite hard and buckled my rim, plus as I mounted the curb I clipped a street sign and damaged the front bar, bonnet and headlight as well – lets say a nice learning experience from muckin around in the wet.

After the smash because I got a new front bar that didn’t have holes in it from the light bar that was previously installed I decided to get a nudge bar for my spotlights because I was sick of them flickering so off to Coldys bullbars and on the 11/10/2008 it was installed

Fast forward a year to 13/2/2009 I decided to get into the modding a bit more and first up were some new rims. I got the Speedy Wheels Race Spec RSX in 19” wrapped with 245/35/19 Maxxis Z1’s. Made the biggest difference to the handling of the car but as a side effect increased the 4wd stance it already had so the next was going to be lowering it. Of course it was raining on the day I got them so they didn’t stay clean for too long

23/3/2009

Back to my mate at Jax to get the car lowered, I got some Peddars “low” springs fitted which dropped it about 1.5” at the time I wish it had gone lower but considering how the car is now I am glad I didn’t.

14/6/2009

Just a small mod on this day but gave it a nice look and that’s some painted callipers aka imitation Brembo’s lol

18/7/2009

I rolled around on stock shocks for a few months but decided its best to replace the shocks as well. So I opted for the Monroe GT Sport. I arranged these through Wholesale Suspension at Penrith. Was the best thing ever, the handling improved dramatically plus it firmed up the ride nicely.

9/9/2009

Decided on getting some new tail lights for the car and found some LED Altezza ones on ebay for pretty cheap. I have since seen others on the road with this design but as yet have not seen any with the LED brake lights :-)

13/9/2009

Also decided on getting some HID lights, sounded like a good idea in principal but through out I have had issues with them changing colour and not spreading very well on the road. Once I got the genuine XR headlights fitted they improved but again I still have an issue with the spread of light onto the road. To be honest I probably wouldn’t get them again as they have just been one GIANT headache, especially with the supplier having such slack after sales support

14/11/2009

Continuing on with the handling theme I needed some new front rotors so decided to go with some RDA slotted ones. I did notice the difference with the braking so well worth it. I will be getting slotted rear later on when those rotors have worn down.

20/2/2010

Now time for some performance mods, upon searching Ebay found a set of 2.5” Hurricane extractors and 200CPSI High Flow Cat for $600 and fitted for an extra $60, I swooped on this deal and made the trek down to Dapto Mufflers to see Darren. I left the standard mufflers on and drove home, man the car sounded soo funny, sort of reminded me like a dirty old ute.

27/2/2010

After dealing with the weird noise for a week I was back down to see Darren the next Saturday to fit up some 2.5” straight through Hurricane Mufflers.

10/4/10

Time for some new tyres as they had been chewed out hardcore after the lowering so got a camber kit fitted to the front as well to fix the negative camber – has been going great now

14/7/10 – 15/8/10

Back onto the visual mods I decided to fit a BF GT kit to my car. I found a cheap one on Ebay through a company called Phat Custom Kits and thought great they are a body kit shop surely the quality won’t be too bad – man was I wrong!! The car spent a whole month at my panel beater getting the kit fitted etc. He did a top job considering the quality he had to work with. I have posted more detailed issues with their kits in the show us your modded au/ba/bf thread so check it out, long story short stay away from them!!

17/8/2010

Worst day ever!! Disaster had struck. Following a foreigner in a bloody Toyota Kluger on the way home from work probably only driving about 10km/h they decided to stop completely in slow moving traffic, not having enough time to stop also I just tapped the worlds biggest tow bar they had on the back of the car and destroyed the front of the bar. I was sooo p****d off after the car taking so long to get to this stage and then bang this happens.

23/10/2010

So after the smash a bit more saving and I decided to buy the GT kit again but from SSV this time as my mate could get me trade discounts plus their quality is 100x better. Anyways I bought the XR headlights (Thanks George) plus the XR8 bonnet as well. The other beauty of it was the foglights from SSV are of much better quality and actually produce light onto the road unlike the crap PKC “free” ones. Anyways only took my panel beater 2 weeks to paint and fit the bonnet, front bar/fog lights and also side skirts which I had bought a month back from SSV as the PCK ones didn’t fit at all. I also got the GT stripes put on at the same time which really completed it. At the end of it all I was so happy with how the car looks (Even though I have spent a small fortune), even my panel beater can’t believe how well he could get it to fit “looks like genuine” was what he said 

11/12/2010

Finally got around to sorting out my air Intake and decided to get the SS Inductions Growler Kit fitted. Managed to source it for $450 and my panel beater installed it for 2 cases of beers. All I have is praise for this kit, it has made my car sooo much louder, tunnels are awesome fun to hear the bellow of it all.

George also hooked me up with a XR6T standard intake which is huge compared to the standard XT one so got that plumbed into the growler as well.

Future plans in the new year will be an under drive kit and then custom tune, then sometime later I will fit a 27mm front sway bar and a 22mm rear sway bar just to improve the handling even further.

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Post subject: Re: Phil's BF SR "GT" Build Thread - Lots of Pics!
Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

F**K YES!
good work mate, this thing is sexy
How hard was it to integrate the xr6t intake to the growler kit?
kudos on continuing after 2 big setbacks too

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks mate appreciate the comments!, its easy to incorporate the standard intake into the growler, its designed to have either the standard intake plumbed into it or a cap put over the hole so that it only uses the air from behind the headlight. I decided that since I put on the bigger xr6t intake i may as well use it plus there is a deflector shield installed behind the grille that pushes more cold air up into it as well

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ah k, makes sense
thanks for that. Ive been thinking of getting one of them for a while.
Does it make much of a difference performance wise or is it more just louder?

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think it has given me lots more low down torque, as i watched the revs from before i installed the growler it was quite slow between 2-3k rpm but now it goes much quicker but then that makes the top end look slower. I got videos of 0-140ish of before and after growler, mate has a property with a private road I could test it out on ;-)

If you have an exhaust upgrade it definitely helps to compliment it all - if you got the cash I say go for it!

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

very nice! looks great.. good read..

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

Top work man, you must be happy with the outcome

your thread has helped me out abit cause ive been thinking of getting a gt kit and didnt know where to get it cause i was worried of the quality so ill go threw ssv now

I also have the ss inductions growler and agree it gives a great sound!

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks very much guys, as for you divy I highly recommend SSV they been around for like 20 years so they must know a thing or 2 :) plus as you can see you can get the kit to fit very nicely

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 07 BF XR6 Sedan

QLD, Australia

Hey mate looks good!! i been thinking of changing my front bar.. Ahhh another hurrican exhaust hahaha.. NICE! lol mine alittle bigger tho:P It worth spending the extra bucks on a good CAI as when it n/a all yur biggest gains come from that and exhaust..

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah i was looking at ur pipe design in ur build thread and saw you had some custom setup and thought mine don't look like that lol, albeit i dont have any plans on changing cams and plenums etc but yeah found a good deal for hurricane headers and high flow cat so couldn't resist , i do see tho that the paint on urs peeled like mine (not as bad but still). I am not too worried about it as my engine bay isnt for show anyways.

Can't wait to see yours fully done mate.

Anyways here is a nice photo i captured on my phone on the way to Jenolan Caves today!

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats a great view there. i love this car heaps, hopefully i meet it one day. would love to talk to you in person about what went into building this beast

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

do you know if the fog lights on my xr6 bar would be right for the BF GT bar?
or would i have to buy the ones from SSV?

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hey mate, if you ever in Sydney let me know and I am sure we can meet up for a chat!

As for the fog lights, the SSV foglights I bought are 100mm so not sure what size the XR6 ones. However i have just looked on their site and it says the factory foggies dont fit :(

Fog lights - http://ssv.com.au/product.php?DLSJ40

Full bodykit where it makes mention the factory foggies dont fit - http://ssv.com.au/product.php?BKP073

Hope this helps, if not ask away mate

Cheers

Phil

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey mate, how much did this cost to paint?
i plan to go with a gray similar to yours, but on my fog light surrounds too.
how much did it cost to paint your bonnet and front bumper?
i get a bonnet saturday with bulge and have ordered the GT bumper too so will be painting soon
thanks heaps for all your help so far
Dylan

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hey mate thats a bit of tricky question as my panel beater spent alot of time fitting as well so can't really say on just the painting. All up to paint and fit the - side skirts, front bar, fog lights and bonnet was about 2k. the grey insert is the factory colour for the GT in shockwave blue

Yeah my panel beater tried to paint it as close to factory look as possible, he only did the ring around it in a lighter grey and non glossy paint and the black for the fog light surround is like a non glossy more rough plastic look type of paint, hard to describe but looks a treat close up. no worries about the help mate, more than happy to! you will have to come up to Sydney and take a look in person

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 14  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next