Fordmods Logo

bad luck with rebuild in el 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: bad luck with rebuild in el
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

hey guys it all started when our el done a head gasket. me and my dad pulled the motor out and had it out and 3/4 rebuild that day we finished it off and droped the motor back in after a long hot day. at first the car was missfiring but we had forgot to connect a lead on the coilpack. after this wee took it for a drive (500m) we got back after a bad tapping noise. we culdnt find anything wrong so pulled the head off and found scratches about 1mm deep in 3rd and 4th pistons :x not good. we bought anther standerd 4l motor from a wreckers for $750 and got it home and found out that it was actually and au motor so we put it in and 3 hours later the car was running better then ever

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

you must have an EF not an EL.. in another post you say its a 94 model, EL's didnt come out till 96

and EL's have a distributor not a coil pack

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

3 hours to put in an AU motor don't make sense, are you sure its AU and not a hybrid?

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Post subject: Re: bad luck with rebuild in el
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Barnzy3 wrote:
hey guys it all started when our el done a head gasket. me and my dad pulled the motor out and had it out and 3/4 rebuild that day we finished it off and droped the motor back in after a long hot day. at first the car was missfiring but we had forgot to connect a lead on the coilpack. after this wee took it for a drive (500m) we got back after a bad tapping noise. we culdnt find anything wrong so pulled the head off and found scratches about 1mm deep in 3rd and 4th pistons :x not good. we bought anther standerd 4l motor from a wreckers for $750 and got it home and found out that it was actually and au motor so we put it in and 3 hours later the car was running better then ever
Why would you pull the motor out to do a head gasket?

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef 5 speed

VIC, Australia

yeha how did you put an au motor in that quick sub or k frame has to be modded

i am in need of a new front bar or good condation secondhand for a 95 ef futra,
lsd for a for ef ,modifed au sump to go in and ef , working air con compressor

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: v6 anniversary accord

NSW, Australia

i like playdough and lego!!!!!!

'WALKER f**k MY WIFE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS s**t SIGGIE'

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

this dudes askin some f**k dum questions recently.

how'd y9ou figure it was an AU motor?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

lol bet it was VCT as well
Seriously doubt it was an AU motor. Post up some pictures of the sump.

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA 3V Tunna

VIC, Australia

post up some pics of the whole engine bay

Post subject: Re: bad luck with rebuild in el
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

noisy wrote:
Barnzy3 wrote:
Why would you pull the motor out to do a head gasket?

when mine finally goes i'm doing that to do the headgasket... but i've also got a sump leak, and the pos blows smoke, so i'm puttin a newer engine in it...

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:50 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

look guys this is all my usless brother has told me about the car so dont go geting s**t with me i have only seen when we re done the motor and a few quick glimpses after that i was not really interested in it at that stageonly went off whatg i was told by my brother he said sumthing about a better motor after he checked up numbers on the net. i will be at he car tommrow and check it right over. yous may all think im just a little smart a*** but y wouldnt you redo the rings and gaskets and bearings when it has had water sitting in it for 2 months?like y the hell wouldnt you do it all at once????? then u just have to go back later and do the rest of it

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

like why the hell would you use any full stops when you can just type like this and make it really hard for every to read and understand what the hell you are on about cos its so easy to read when you type it like this its so good to see a post so well written it keeps every one reading untill the end so they realy want to help you figure all this engine stufff out cos its so interesting and yeah

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Barnzy3 wrote:
look guys this is all my usless brother has told me about the car, so don't go getting s**t with me. I have only seen when we re done the motor and a few quick glimpses, after that i was not really interested in it.
At that stage i only went off what i was told by my brother, he said some thing about a better motor, after he checked up numbers on the net.
I will see car tommrow and check it right over. You all may all think im just a little smart a***, why wouldn't you redo the rings and gaskets and bearings, when it has had water sitting in it for 2 months? why the hell wouldn't you do it all at once????? Then you just have to go back later and do the rest of it

i realy tried hard to make it easy to understand, but when you think about what i had to work with..........

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Barnzy3 wrote:
look guys this is all my usless brother has told me about the car, so don't go getting s**t with me. I have only seen when we re done the motor and a few quick glimpses, after that i was not really interested in it.
At that stage i only went off what i was told by my brother, he said some thing about a better motor, after he checked up numbers on the net.
I will see car tommrow and check it right over. You all may all think im just a little smart a***, why wouldn't you redo the rings and gaskets and bearings, when it has had water sitting in it for 2 months? why the hell wouldn't you do it all at once????? Then you just have to go back later and do the rest of it

All those "we's" in the first post I guess everybody just assumed you were somehow involved.

And as for the rings, gaskets and bearings, if you actually did any of that at all, why wouldn't you mention it? I guess that AU rings gaskets and bearing must all be the same as the e-series, otherwise you would have had all sorts of problems.

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Lack of information can cause many assumptions.

We, as forum members, don't know your details or what has been going on if you haven't mentioned it to us. We are not psychics who can read your mind and understand what you are talking about. Another thing...punctuation is a good investment for good communication in forums.

If it was in deed an AU motor, then the sump must've been pre-cut or something for it to fit into the engine bay so quickly. Since you did mention coil pack...I guess your car is an EF and not an EL...so it shouldn't be much of a problem in putting the AU motor into the EF, but if your car is an EL...it would have taken a tad longer to get everything in.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]