Fordmods Logo

Considering new project. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Considering new project.
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

I am in the planning stage of a complete B series conversion to an E series sedan.

My plan is to drop the complete motor, 6sp ZF auto, interior (inc dash), steering column, associated looms and other hardware from a high series BF (preferably XR so no power seats or memory stuff) into an E series car which will be getting a complete rebuild and paint.

In the first instance, I will go N/A with a view to a XR6T upgrade down the line. (I reckon a tuned N/A Barra with 6 sp auto in a 1500kg E series will go pretty well anyway).

K-Frame and bonnet I am aware of and will work around those in the usual ways. Thinking about the transmission tunnel (which I am sure I was told is too small for the ZF) I was thinking about grafting a B series tunnel in from the donor car. Have had a brief consult with an approved engineer who gave an in principal ok re the structural change.

I was thinking I'd cut and shut the interior where necessary to fit nicely (it's been done before after all) and essentially run the complete looms from the BF. Ambient sensor I'm sure could be obtained from a smashed high series wing mirror and loom customised to mount in the E series location.

My questions are at this point about the B series gear interacting with the E series parts which would remain. ie, BF ABS/traction/stability program with E series brakes and sensors (do B series sensors/rings fit? would it be easiest just to modify B series brakes to fit? or can ABS and TC/ASP be disabled and just run E series V8 booster?), E series fuel level sender with B series guage (or could the B series sender fit the E series tank) etc.

Now I am sure there are a a thousand things that I have not thought of, but if those out there who have knowledge could impart it below, that'd be great. I'd love to know of any issues which are inherent, or perceived, which I can expect.

But before I hear all about how expensive this is going to be, I don't care about the money. I love the E series shape when done right and love the idea of the new running gear and interior. It may turn into a $30k E series hybrid that would be worth 5k at the pointy end, but it'd be my E series hybrid and I'll worry about the cash.

I would rather know what I need to plan for and do when the time comes and get/buy now than have to stuff around heaps down the track.

Thanks for the help guys.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Post subject: Re: Considering new project.
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

sounds good do it in an el xr6.im planning to do a similar thing in afew years to mine but i just want to drop the ba-bf xr6turbo motor and tranny in it...i no alot of people have done it so shouldnt be too hard to get info on.if you've got the cash then do it
cheers daniel

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ed xr6 with bf turbo everything

WA, Australia

hi phil

good to see another sucker for the eseries!
if your going with the zf box i would suggest to use the ba tunnel, it can b done im sure, the hard part would be getting the center console to fit with the dash, but were theres a will theres a way!
i would use the ba k frame also paired with an au diff, this will keep the driveline strait and allow for complete ba brakes abs and traction controll. a mate of mine has done this in his ef, (efsleeper) best to give him a private message and he can help you with all you need to know about that.

i have my eseries fuel sender and pump assembly just wired strait into the ba loom, works fine and is very accurate!, if i fill the tank the guage will register just under full and wont drop untill ive driven atleast 150 ks or so and then its accurate from there all the way to empty, i find with all the trip settings that im 100% sattisfied. the gauge paired with the litres/100ks and range settings gives you a good understanding on whats happening.

if you have any more questions or need any help along the way feel free to give me a call 0416741466, will be happy to help.

Cheers Jesse

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

install a BA/BF subframe..
front brake issues resolved, along with a bunch of your clearance issues.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:35 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Check out phantom's build threads (Toxic wagon MK's I & II) as well - he has some good pics that will help you.
You might be able to get some advice also from him.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED Falcon

QLD, Australia

Sounds Sick! I've got a ED falcon I just brought and I'm planing on doing it up over time as I have two cars now So HopeFully it will turn out good planing on getting a Au xr tickford engine in it with Ef Fairmont interior Sitting on some valvet's 18" Should look good when done

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Thanks guys for the comments.

I was thinking i'd just use the rear end in the E series. As I was considering getting an XR or Ghia as the starter car, I thought I'd at least have an LSD. This I know would present problems to overcome with the brakes TC/SC etc, but would it also cause issues with drivetrain alignment and tailshaft problems. Could I get around these with a two piece CV tailshaft????

How hard is it to swap in a BA K frame into an E series?? Does it pretty much just bolt up straight away, or is major refab required? I'm not necessarily afraid of that, but I am interested in making this as easy as possible and thought if I could get an engineer to sign off on a properly cut and welded E series K Frame, that'd be miles easier??

Cheers again,

Phil

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Check out phantom's build threads (Toxic wagon MK's I & II) as well - he has some good pics that will help you.
You might be able to get some advice also from him.

Nathan is very knowledgable when it comes to putting BA stuff into E-Series...
His Toxic MKII also has the BA front suspension and also has dual zone climate control...

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ed xr6 with bf turbo everything

WA, Australia

If you use standard e series rear end then you will be better off modding the e series k frame and hood to suit (this is what I have done) however I don't know how this will go with the zf box... No doubt the split tail shaft would be a good idea.
If you were to use the Ba k frame and you choose to pair that with the e series rear end you will wind up with the front wheels a different offset as the rears. Not to mention you will have no way of mounting your speed sensor (unless you use the gear box out of a xl ute which I have also done) I assume they don't come with a zf option.
Given your going the zf box I'm certain your easiest option is the ba k frame and an au diff ( which does fit ) that gives you all your engine clearance and allows fitment of the traction control, Speed sensor and abs. Plus ba brakes all round ba steering rack ( saves you getting a custom ps high pressure line) many more benefits with the ba k frame.

Cheers jesse

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

here is Phantoms link to his build thread...

the-garage-f53/toxic-wagon-mkii-t89250.html?hilit=toxic mkII

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]