Fordmods Logo

Coolant dissapearing? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Coolant dissapearing?
Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

G'day all,

So yesterday I noticed coolant was very low in my car. So i went out and brought some coolant, now ill admit i didnt blled the system properley but it took a s**t load of coolant. Im thinking it had barely any in the system. So after filling up the coolant to between the min/max marks on my reserve tank, i checked it today... and its gone right down!

Why would this be? I gather i have a leak somewhere but, the car isnt dropping any coolant that i can see... so where could it be going? Im hoping its not something to serious as i only just replaced the motor after my old one seemed to smash the cam to bits.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

head gasket, welsh plug, or radiator hose, my bet, head gasket

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

if its running like crap, i'd say head gasket.
my cousins ef leaked out of the top radiator outlet on the block, and heater tap.
check your radiator cap too.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Check for water/coolant stains, under both of your manifolds, might be something as simple as a heater tap gone.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EL Wagon & BF MK II

NSW, Australia

I have the same problem, except mine sits just above empty and dosent get any lower. Bit of a concern when I was driving to Brisbane and back (1000kms each way) but she was fine, didn't drop a mill.
Soory to steal the thread but can anyone tell me what coolant is genuine Ford?? When I had my radiator flushed a while back, guy said he would use geniune coolant and brought it from local ford dealer. I dont want to mix coolants when I top it up as iv read it can f**k radiator etc. Can any one suggest what to use? I know its the green coolant not red.

I'm a self made millionare
Thug Livin out a prison, pistols in the air,
Biggie, remember when I used to let you sleep on the couch
and beg a b**ch to let you sleep in the house,
Tupac Shakur ---

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Quote:
G'day all,

So yesterday I noticed coolant was very low in my car. So i went out and brought some coolant, now ill admit i didnt blled the system properley but it took a s**t load of coolant. Im thinking it had barely any in the system. So after filling up the coolant to between the min/max marks on my reserve tank, i checked it today... and its gone right down!

Why would this be? I gather i have a leak somewhere but, the car isnt dropping any coolant that i can see... so where could it be going? Im hoping its not something to serious as i only just replaced the motor after my old one seemed to smash the cam to bits.

Any help appreciated.

Tell us how much 1 Lt, 1/2Lt .
Did you check if your dipstick is milky oil coloured etc.

Please, if you are looking for answers, give us a clue to start with.
and did you fill your radiator top up tank, take a reasonable drive and then check.

Even mechanics need a clue to find an answer and coolant does not just dissapear, it goes somewhere.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:10 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the help everyone, shame it had to be bad news.

I got under the car last night and found where the coolant was going, it seemed to be sitting at the base of the engine, its hard to exdplain but it seemeded like a frame of sorts that surrounded the sump of the engine.

I also checked the oil, and it was in the ok part on the dipstick and it wasnt cloudy/milky. I havent driven the car since, am driving my old kombi at the moment which seems to be more reliable!

Any suggestions on what i can do to check it at home in the meantime?

WIll get it to a mechanic as soon as i can.

Cheers

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

losing coolant can be a number of things mate...

can you see where your losing the coolant from (puddle underneath, dripping etc) ??

is the oil in your car an off-milky colour ??

is the car running normally, or is it running like a bag of s**t ??

if you top it up and take it for a drive, how long does it take to lose all the coolant ??

have you looked inside and around the engine block, can you see any unusual stains or your coolant leaking from anywhere ??

is your car stalling alot ??

is there anything else thats unusual about your cars functioning, since you noticed your losing coolant...engine revving different, air con/heating playing up, etc etc

you need to help us narrow it down a bit better, the more info you give us, the more we can narrow it down for you....

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

I think the heater tap has gone or a hose if the coolant is leaking near the back and bottom of the engine.

Put you car over a pit and have a real good look under the LHS of the Engine bay from below, fitting a heater tap is easy and only costs around $25.00.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

hummel_gli wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone, shame it had to be bad news.

I got under the car last night and found where the coolant was going, it seemed to be sitting at the base of the engine, its hard to exdplain but it seemeded like a frame of sorts that surrounded the sump of the engine.

I also checked the oil, and it was in the ok part on the dipstick and it wasnt cloudy/milky. I havent driven the car since, am driving my old kombi at the moment which seems to be more reliable!

Any suggestions on what i can do to check it at home in the meantime?

WIll get it to a mechanic as soon as i can.

Cheers

Which side of the motor did you find coolant? under the intake manifold you'll find the heater tap mid way in a heater hose, either of these could have failed. On both sides of the block are welsh plugs, anyone of these could fail and cause a serious leak. Under the exhaust manifold is a steel water pipe which can also corrode and fail.
Even though you oil is clean the leak can still be a head gasket. Head gaskets fail in 3 differant ways involving coolant, water into oil, water into cylinder, water leaks to outside of block. If the coolant leaks outside of the block it wont effect the way the engine runs (unless you lose all the water) Last head gasket that failed on me failed like this, coolant was slowly leaking down the side of the block and evaporating. Made it hard for me to find. We only found it once it was on a hoist.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au2 forte

NSW, Australia

i had that problem in my au it was the water pump ( leakin out of the tell tale hole on the bottom of the pump note: it only seemed to leak just after a drive just after u switch it of ) hope that helps u out

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

check under the oil cap if the oil appears to be creamy or whitish or unusual in any way. if it is then its the head gasket. I had the same problem though and it turned out to be a worn O-ring on the waterpump dont remember how much i paid to get it changed but it was cheap

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:58 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

check under the oil cap if the oil appears to be creamy or whitish or unusual in any way. if it is then its the head gasket. I had the same problem though and it turned out to be a worn O-ring on the waterpump dont remember how much i paid to get it changed but it was cheap

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Can i still drive it at the moment? Of course ill make sure its got heaps of coolant in it, will only be short drives. But need to get it to a mech (gf's old man) and he might be able to tell me whats wrong.

If i do drive it, wil it cause any more significant damage? Say if it was the head, would it stuff it up more?

cheers

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Not particularly. Theres not a real lot of damage you can do as long as theres coolant in the motor and not much water in the oil. I drove my car for about 7 weeks on a cracked head (not gasket) until the people that exchanged it pulled it back off under warranty. They tried telling me the milky white froth under the cap was condensation...

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next