Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: E85 on na 6
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF MKII Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

Got a bf mkII
Just obtained larger injectors and was planning on running e85,
However do I have to get a larger fuel pump?
Not sure if it's something I can afford...

2007 BF MK II Fairmont Ghia - Black
ZF 6 Speed
XR6T Snorkel, K&N Panel
Pacemaker 4495, No CAT, Xforce 2.5"
BPR Tuned 98
SSL Kings Front & Rear

Post subject: Re: E85 on na 6
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The question that needs to be asked first is why do it?

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

i think with the e85 you need to run different fuel line, fuel rail ect as they melts. But i might be wrong

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Well I know the last decade or so rubbers are different and can handle ethanol.

But you may be right.

I am just getting new cams and ported head. Got the I injectors and if I could get a little bit more power out of e85 would be good. E85 uses roughly 25% more and petrol cost roughly 35% more so it would make a saving aswell.
It's also better for your engine in led to believe?

Any facts, past experiemces or suggestions about e85 I'm willing to listen

ZF 6 Speed
XR6T Snorkel, K&N Panel
BPR Tuned 98
SSL Kings Front & Rear

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

If your talking about the e85 at the pump its not really 85% ethanol, its only a rough mixture containing up to 85% so its not consistant enough for your bf unless its set up to change its afr's depending on the fuel mixture at the timee, thats my take on it anyway, I could be wrong.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Ef fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

have converted my n12 exa to run on e85, i upgraded the fuel pump and injectors, but thats only half of it, the engine has to be retuned to run e85, as it has a lower air to fuel mixture (unleaded is anywhere from 10:1 to 15:1, with stoich being 14.7:1, e100 being 6:1 to 8.5:1 and stoich being approximately 8:1, my e85 is roughly 8.3:1) IIRC an na car would be slightly higher compared to forced induction, correct me if im wrong.

Simply changing injectors and pump and wacking e85 in the tank, it will burn incredibly lean and possibly damage your engine as the ecu isnt programmed for running such a low afr.

Hope this helps

EFII Fairmont (XH00NR) - K & N apollo enclosed pod filter, Megasquirt 2 Ecu controlling fuel, 350 cc injectors flowed out 420cc, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, J3 chip with custom transmittion map, BA XR6 front seats. Turbo setup in the works.
EF Fairmont Turbo

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

My car will be getting a whole new road dyno tune anyway for the new cams so I could have it tuned in.

ZF 6 Speed
XR6T Snorkel, K&N Panel
BPR Tuned 98
SSL Kings Front & Rear

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

If your getting it tuned, talk to your tuner about his take on E85. Also have a look at E85 availability. The fuel industry has been slow on the uptake, you don't want to leave yourself stranded with nowhere to fill up.

the witches brew bundy fuel has its place, but In a 4.0l NA application that has a set of cams and a few other minor mods, your better off going for united 100, more consistant, performs better under NA applications as well. and if your left somewhere where only premium can be found, you can easily get away with running it.

E85 is better suited to big power applications, in saying that, big power applications is more than what your lazy 4.0 will need. High strung turbo motors seem to gain the most out of it.

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

Why would you want to run E85 in a BA 4.0L from what I can gather its a factory BA no Cam,s - Turbo - or such??????

As to bigger injectors again why ????? there is no need in a N.A. unless you have some radical engine mods, you will need to get the injectors scaled and your ECU fuel maps etc setup I would assume.

Anyway just my thoughts.

Cheers

Turned L.G.AUTOMOTIVE Townsville
Garrett GT35/82R & 6Boost manifold,Turbosmart 50mm Wastegate,50mm BOV&FPR800 reg,Wolf V500&Boost Controller,3"exhaust,Serge tank&Bosch pump,XSpurt 1000cc,CamTech CT006-845-114.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Possibly but dam I would think one would need to have more the E85 before they started to brag. :shock:

Something else to think about if you had a vehicle tuned to run E85 that would be a real pain if you decided to travel as the supply of E85 around the country is very limited, just of hand I am unaware of anywhere north of Brisbane in Queensland that sell E85 at the pumps maybe even in Brisbane for that matter.

As to other state that something I have no idea on.

Garrett GT35/82R & 6Boost manifold,Turbosmart 50mm Wastegate,50mm BOV&FPR800 reg,Wolf V500&Boost Controller,3"exhaust,Serge tank&Bosch pump,XSpurt 1000cc,CamTech CT006-845-114.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:10 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the same rule still applies for n/a and turbo, there is gains to be had but it comes down to the tune.
e85 will need aprox 25-30% more fuel but you can also run alot of timing advance to gain the desired power..

you also got to look at the big picture, does the cheaper price of e85 outweigh the added cost of fuel consumption vs power gains from it..??????

and using ethinol wont melt your fuel hose or fuel rail...lol
using ethinol may shorten the life of a already 15-20 year old fuel hose, but newer cars will be fine..

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Yes I agree with what you have said but again what about the accessibility of E85 for an everyday driver, I think getting E85 at the pump is that simple.

I have also been informed that the actual E85 as in the fuel the V8 super-cars are running is different to the ethanol available from the servo's.

What is the pump price of E85 I am curious as we don't have it up here in Nth Qld and the local duel depot tell me that it will be a few years before we look like getting E85 at the pumps but he can supply a 200ltr drum if I like. ( next question where do I store this drum )

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:55 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
chappykg wrote:
Yes I agree with what you have said but again what about the accessibility of E85 for an everyday driver, I think getting E85 at the pump is that simple.

I have also been informed that the actual E85 as in the fuel the V8 super-cars are running is different to the ethanol available from the servo's.

What is the pump price of E85 I am curious as we don't have it up here in Nth Qld and the local duel depot tell me that it will be a few years before we look like getting E85 at the pumps but he can supply a 200ltr drum if I like. ( next question where do I store this drum )

Just store it next to the rest of the flammables ;)

next to the fireplace...lol...

afaik the e85 used in racing is different in some way, ive seen 200ltr e85 drums for $500, at that price it would want to be special...

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
chappykg wrote:

Just store it next to the rest of the flammables ;)

next to the fireplace...lol...

afaik the e85 used in racing is different in some way, ive seen 200ltr e85 drums for $500, at that price it would want to be special...

Contains hump back whale semen milked by mermaids

I have a car.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk wow at $500 for 200ltrs that $2.50 a liter man its got to be special, it would want to be extra special for that kind of money.

Dam Troyman we don't have fire place in Nth Qld !!! :mrgreen:

I think I will stick to my idea of Water Injection I will get my timing and boost up with that method well I hope I will.

Cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]