Fordmods Logo

Economy Guide: Updated, Loads of fuel saver tips! 

Page 4 of 6 [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Spoondog wrote:
Quote:
Change your driving style, 4 stars!
Driving style covers a few areas:

-Accelerate slowly; say take 12-15seconds to get to 60kmph, gently increasing acceleration. This is where most of your fuel goes, getting from 0 to cruising speeds, stopping and starting.

if u do this infront of me, ur getting some high beams and the horn, pet hate is someone who cant accelerate with the traffic, if u cant afford to do this get the bus.

if you do this behind me, your going to get held up even longer.
pet hate is people that think the world revolves around them

Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiend i only read half of what you wrote, what i said is a fact and i wrote (somewhere, if not in the original post) not to do it if their are other cars around..

Yes, i agree with you, its very annoying when people do it and your behind them, which is why i said that.

Seriously, i don't want people arguing with what i am saying. Present facts (which i highly welcome) :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Last edited by -GAS-MAN- on Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Economy Guide
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA XR6

WA, Australia

What states have the ethanol blends? I know WA doesn't, we just get 91,95, and at BP Caltex and some independants there is 98. Fuel brand is a HUGE factor, here in Perth regardless of octane rating I will gaurantee that any BP petrol will not only cost an extra 10-15 cents per litre at most times, but will get you sfa km's. My magna used to get 650km per tank and only 500-550 with BP fuel, with BP's 98 which they promise gives you more km's I only got 420km's. Shell is another one to avoid, crap petrol but nowhere near ar bad as the filth that BP sell. I have 4 BP's within 5km's of my house and I have never filled up at any of them, I'd rather push my car if it ran out all the way to the nearest independant or caltex. This may be different in other states but for anyone in Perth try it out, My old man assures me that all servo's get their fuel from the same place, but my cars will never again go to a BP even it means a long walk.

87 EA S pack
-EL tickford rims
-EL XR6 4.0
-T5 conversion

Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 07 BF mk2 E-gas wagon + eb 5.0

Power: 174 rwkw

SA, Australia

tapper21 wrote:
What states have the ethanol blends? I know WA doesn't, we just get 91,95, and at BP Caltex and some independants there is 98. Fuel brand is a HUGE factor, here in Perth regardless of octane rating I will gaurantee that any BP petrol will not only cost an extra 10-15 cents per litre at most times, but will get you sfa km's. My magna used to get 650km per tank and only 500-550 with BP fuel, with BP's 98 which they promise gives you more km's I only got 420km's. Shell is another one to avoid, crap petrol but nowhere near ar bad as the filth that BP sell. I have 4 BP's within 5km's of my house and I have never filled up at any of them, I'd rather push my car if it ran out all the way to the nearest independant or caltex. This may be different in other states but for anyone in Perth try it out, My old man assures me that all servo's get their fuel from the same place, but my cars will never again go to a BP even it means a long walk.

you will notice in BP's advertising, they claim more km/tank WITH EXTENDED USE. using it for one tank will not net any benefits, or very few.

also a lot of the difference is dependant on the car not the fuel. my ebv8 is mildly modified and tuned to run 98. i only ever run ultimate and my tuner recomends this as well. the last mods i did were over a year ago and in that time my km/tank has increased by about 50km. 400 was about the max before whereas now i can get close to 450. nothing else has changed. i had the same thing with my previous car, an ef xr6 wagon. after running that exclusively on bp ultimate the same thing happened. the economy seemed to improve little by little as months went by. obviously this is not a never ending process but due to the make up of the fuel it cleans out your engine.

i actually feel the same about engine oil. i use helix ultra. its full synthetic. both of the above cars i mentioned used this exclusively also and i also believe it contributes to the engine improvements over time. i'm not saying use shell oil. i'm saying choose a good oil you are happy with and stick with it. most products work best with extended use.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Spoondog wrote:
Quote:
Change your driving style, 4 stars!
Driving style covers a few areas:

-Accelerate slowly; say take 12-15seconds to get to 60kmph, gently increasing acceleration. This is where most of your fuel goes, getting from 0 to cruising speeds, stopping and starting.

if u do this infront of me, ur getting some high beams and the horn, pet hate is someone who cant accelerate with the traffic, if u cant afford to do this get the bus.

if you do this behind me, your going to get held up even longer.
pet hate is people that think the world revolves around them

so what makes you think that the world revolves around you and your special and don't have to do the speed limit ? 20kmph under the speed limit is obstruction of traffic (offence) and if your incapable of doing the speed limit then theres no reason why you deserve the privillage to own a drivers licence. (not saying this warrants the abuse though)
not saying your a grandpa driver but it's one of my pet hates to when it takes me 45minutes to complete a 25minute trip if travelling at the speed limit and accelerating conservatively.
after 8 hours+ of working, fuel economy is the least of my worries trust me. i still don't know why pensioners can't be restricted to not driving in peak hour.
<end rant>
cruise control can be overcome without turning it off, anticipate the hill and accelerate for it leaving it on. i average around 9.4lp100k with climate control flat stick n cruise engaged, from a 4 litre 6 cylinder i can't see how anyone could complain about that. even my ea is capable of returning over 500km a tank if driven normally.

driving slow doesn't mean shyte when it comes to economy, your car will return better results from 80-100 than it will under 80, which is what shytes me with these dumb phuks that drive round doing 70 in 100 zones because they think their saving fuel. YOUR PHUKIN NOT!!!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Last edited by low_ryda on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

You know that thing about low speed = effeciency is s**t with large cars. My wagon with a 3.23 diff actually produces the same fuel economy at 140KM/h as it does at 90!.. Sure, at 160KM/h I'm doing more revs - but each revolution of the engine is pushing me down the road the same distance as it would at lower revs. I kid you not. Turn the trip computer on and try sitting there at 160km/h and see you are still only using 8L/100KM. Try it.

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
fiend i only read half of the s**t you wrote,
Seriously, i don't want people arguing with what i am saying. Present facts (which i highly welcome, not bs.

Mate, what the hell are you on about? I didn't address anything about what you were saying. I was commenting on this half wit driver I was following. You weren't in New Zealand that particular day so what are your knickers in a twist about?

If you even read half of what I wrote you'd see it was not in relation to anything you posted but was telling a story about this complete d***head Subaru driver who had no respect for other road users and totally p****d off fourty or fifty carloads of people who were stuck behind the idiot.

I think your example of accelerating smoothly is a good idea for fuel economy, I'm not arguing - just saying that this f**k IN NEW ZEALAND WHO DRIVES A SUBARU was taking it well over the line of sense and into the realm of ridiculous.

There was not one single line of s**t in it, and none of it was arguing with you.

Please explain what the f**k you are on about and put your G-string on the right way around from now on.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sorry if i p****d anyone off, i got very annoyed at ppl just knocking what i said..

It's a fact that for every increase in speed of 10kph over 90kph that your fuel economy doubles..
Edit: Wind resistance doubles ;)

I have a 3.45 diff and i have noticed i can sit on 140, even 180 and the trip meter reads between 8 and 9, but not under load if i am going up a hill..

All this testing was performed on private sealed roads..

:)

Last edited by -GAS-MAN- on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

-GAS-MAN- wrote:
Sorry if i p****d anyone off, i got very annoyed at ppl just knocking what i said..

It's a fact that for every increase in speed of 10kph over 90kph that your fuel economy doubles..

I have a 3.45 diff and i have noticed i can sit on 140, even 180 and the trip meter reads between 8 and 9, but not under load if i am going up a hill..

All this testing was performed on private sealed roads..

:)
Your alright dude.

But, I don't understand how it can be a fact that fuel economy doubles etc etc as per your message? Trip meter is pretty accurately sitting on 7-8 l/100km at 160km/h with the manual in too... It sits a bit less than that when plodding along at 110 now. Must be due to gearbox having 100% lock compared to the constant slip of tranny or something...

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

-GAS-MAN- wrote:

your economy MAY be worse at 100 over 90 but double??? i doubt it. the 90km/h mark is getting a bit old too. highway economy has a lot to do with where your car produces peak torque and the gearing and ecu/pcm calibration. i know some cars that the auto trans isn't locked up at 90 but is at 100.

also the national limit is 100 with many highways now 110. sitting on 90 to save $10 is dangerous.

eb v8: low loud and fast. just how a v8 should be. i guess the big question is, is it fast enough...

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

The BTR 4 speed will lock the torque converter at 70.
Watch the tacho after you reach a cruising speed, eg 80 and after a few seconds perhaps 30 or so the tacho will drop a couple of hundred RPM as the torque converter locks up.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
Watch the tacho after you reach a cruising speed, eg 80 and after a few seconds perhaps 30 or so the tacho will drop a couple of hundred RPM as the torque converter locks up.

the btr 4 speed changes to 4th at 70. it will lock up in 4th, depending on throttle position, somewhere between 80-90.

Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

prydey wrote:
Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:

the btr 4 speed changes to 4th at 70. it will lock up in 4th, depending on throttle position, somewhere between 80-90.

Ahah... Always wondered why I thought it was in fourth when doing 110km/h, but revs would have indicated it being in lower gear until lift foot marginally and get it back into "fourth" as I knew it. Thanks for that!

What do I care anymore? Own two 4 speeds and they're both not connected to my right boot in the slightest...

Thanks for providing that info tho, has answered a question I didn't know I had...!

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Double up :)

Last edited by -GAS-MAN- on Tue May 19, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Another double up :)

Last edited by -GAS-MAN- on Tue May 19, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Air filter section updated, i would recommend everyone have a read of the autospeed article http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2232/article.html

"there’s no problem with the flow of the factory filter – even when it’s dirty."

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 6  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next