Fordmods Logo

ED Instrument cluster - trouble with temp guage 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: ED Instrument cluster - trouble with temp guage
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ED2

NSW, Australia

Also put this in the interior-mods section...not sure which most appropriate.
Just replaced my ED low-series cluster to a mid series (sports) cluster. With the old cluster the temp guage didn't work...and same with the new cluster too. Knew I'd have to change the sender anyway, so I did (tried 2 different senders I took out of futuras at the wreckers )...still no go ...suspect it may be a wiring continuity issue. Have read the doc about changing clusters and noted the appliccable connector & wire on the cluster. HOW TO CHECK CONTINUITY ALONG THE SENDER WIRING?? or is there something I can rig up to the engine-end of the sender-wire to check if there's any signal getting through to the guage?? Could it just be that all 3 senders tested (or both guages) just happen to be buggered??? Any input would be appreciated muchly! thanks guys.

Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

To check the continuity, I would suggest at least supplying 12v to one end and see if you get any voltage at the other using a test light.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:10 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Thanks Ben, test-light showed continuity between sender and cluster. Tested the resistance across the sender...WAY out of spec....so suppose it'll be the sender that's no good. Off to Repco or the stealership to get a new sender tomorrow - hopefully that'll be the end of it !! Cheers mate.....Steve.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Ben, what do you reckon the odds are that ten-out-of-ten used senders all read way out of spec for resistance ? maybe my multimeter just needs trashing!! Someone told me the sender resistance should be 58,750 ohms @ 10C down to 3,843 ohms @ 80C and my original reads ~ 1,000 down to 300 ohms ( as did nine other used ones I picked up from EB/ED futuras & fairlanes ). Cumberland Ford reckons only one sender listed for ED ($43 versus $33 from Repco) so want to try the used ones again on a different multimeter. With original sender in the gauge only just reads into the blue(never higher) after 10 minutes idling and then the temp jewel eventually goes away. Other blokes reckon their gauges functioned without changing their GLi senders at all !! any thoughts? thanks mate.....Steve.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

HMMMMMMMMM

The GLi cluster temp guage worked fine didn't it?

If it did, I would suggest that the temp guage in the sports cluster may be the issue.

It is possible to transfer just temp guage motor from one sports cluster to another, so that might be an option for you.

BenJ

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Hi Ben, no the temp gauge in the original GLi cluster didn't work either ! that's why I'm confused....hard to believe 2-outa-2 gauges bung, BUT also hard to believe 10-outa-10 senders busted ( but will have a better idea after I get the sparky at work to test the resistance across the spare senders with a guaranteed-accurate multimeter). I did suspect the wiring continuity but it fired up a test-light (as you suggested)....but the actual voltage I haven't checked. Proof's in the pudding I suppose ...but dunno if I want to spend $33-43 for a new sender if that's not the prob ( also not sure if the dealer spares guy was right when he said there's only one sender listed for all ED's....sound right to you? )....will get all the senders' resistance checked tomorrow. Cheers mate - Steve.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Actually, It does sound right to me that there is only one temp sender part, and it probably is the same for EA-ED

BenJ

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]