Fordmods Logo

EF futura, Cracked Head....?? what now? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF futura, Cracked Head....?? what now?
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:37 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: FG XR6

VIC, Australia

hey, the othernight i was on a cruise with a mate and we stopped for some food, came back out to the car and there was coolant everywhere... turns out it was due to cumbustion gas from my engine that leaked into my cooling system. this was because of a the cracked head that seemed to have developed in my engine... hmm so to the point

I have a mint EF futura, Clean, tidy, and well looked after with a cracked head... sigh
what now, replace the engine?
get a nice head from any selected wreckers?
or trade it in and claim ignorance to a dealer if he questions it?
got no clue, if anyone has and advise, or ideas i'm open to any discussion.
Regards
Lyndon

Post subject: Re: EF futura, Cracked Head....?? what now?
Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If its just the head why not replace it?Upgrade it at the same time.

I have not failed.I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

only got like $3000 to spend on the car and i need to replace the whole front ball joint systems and put a camber kit in because all the suspension and rubbers are shot, pedders quoted "$1973" for that alone but hmm yeah limited money.

See just got made redundant, and in order to find another job i'll need my car working
:-/

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

NSW, Australia

I'd try getting a quote from a mechanic to with the front suspension.I've had various stuff doen through a mechanic cheaper then what peddars have quoted me.
If you need the car for work maybe try pot luck at a wreckers then.

I have not failed.I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

yeah you got a point there, i got pedders to do a report for me, only cost like $14, but yeah i suppose i could use that report and take it to the local mechanic, and prolly end up saving like $400. yeah i might go have a look tomorrow.. thing is i can drive the car at this stage, but only very slowly so i dont get a build up of gas, it really blows...

im pretty annoyed since it's been such and awesome car, and the anoying thing is the engine is doing 185psi - 180psi on every cylinder, it's such a good engine..except for the crack.

i talked to a reco bloke today and he said they can try weld/polish/treat the crack, it would cost around $600 but is only 1/4 chance the head will warp for ignition heat. ... in my eyes those odds kinda hurt lol ... stupid aluminium, good idea bad design.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

New Zealand

IMHO, its not worth repairing a cracked cylinder head. Better off getting a second hand head from a wrecker, take it to a cylinder head place and get it reco'd (valve regrind, new valve stem seals, new valve guides if need be, re-surface etc etc..) and get that fitted with a new head gasket and head bolts and you should be good to go.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:31 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

yeah i'm swaying towards that to man, thanks for the advise. think i'll go chase up a few tomorrow..
lol driving 40kph sucks lol.
but yeah, i'll ring a few wreckers, how much do you reckon it would cost total bro?

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

^^^ Agreed 100%
Also re Pedders.
I took my Blue car to them once, got qutoed over 2k for repairs, which is funny considering everything they said was stuffed, was all replaced only months before.
Use their report as a guide only, see a mechanic and get him to check their report, you will be surprised.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Also, with pedders they quoted $800 labour which is like a bit much too. but yeah, i think my car is worth fixing, i do like it, and it's a nice car. i could post a pic.

thing i dont like is it has a small nudge bar on the front of it which is hard wired to the airbags.. thinking about getting it removed, but hey head, then suspension first.

thanks for the advise people :-D appreciate it.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

lyndonbt88 wrote:
but yeah, i'll ring a few wreckers, how much do you reckon it would cost total bro?

Not sure mate, dont know what the prices are like over there but in NZ they would be ranging anywhere from $150-$250 second hand from a wrecker - and thats usually with all valves, springs etc included. In most cases, heads from a wrecker should already be checked for any damage i.e cracks before they sell them

If you go to a self server wrecking yard like Pick a Part (or Pick and Payless i think it may be called over there?) you could get it for around $100 - thing is, its a gamble because you never know if the head is okay until its crack/pressure tested, you can only hope for the best

Maybe just keep an eye on the For Sale section on here too, something may pop up :wink:

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

wow $250-100. i got told it's going to cost me around $800-$2000, for the whole process. so i'm not exactly sure. but if you reckon you can pick em up there, crack tested and stuff that may be the smart option.
cheers man.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Those prices i quoted were for the head only mate. Usually wreckers should check the head (well at least some wreckers over here do) to make sure it isnt cracked at all or else they'll have customers coming back complaining, but all they would do is just get it crack/pressure tested, nothing else usually. All the machining work and new parts needed for the head will be at an extra cost from a cylinder head place. Basic reco's depending on what parts are needed will probably set you back around $400 at a rough guess alone then you'll have the other costs of gaskets, bolts etc. Then if you take it to a mechanic you'll have to factor in how much they will charge for labour so it all adds up.

If your taking it to a mechanic to get it done, i reckon you'll be in for around $1000+ to get it fixed. My uncle over in Brisbane took his daughters EL in to get the headgasket done and it set him back a touch over $900 which was about 6 months ago but i think that was just to get the head shaved and put back on with a new gasket and bolts.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

ah yeah, hmm see knowing it will cost me like 1/4 of the cars value makes me kinda wanna just get a new car or trade it in, but then again it depends on how i feel about the car..

i got a good mechanic around the block hes a legend, could save me some money if i use him, but the "hunt" for a head. the hard bit, apparently are hard to find good ones, but then thats just word of mouth, tomorow i'll find out
:-/

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

Never seen a wrecker check the head before you buy it, maybe check ur money anyway if you have to spend more than $400 to replace the head just update it to a Au motor better way to go if you can handle replacing it.

Heads over here in brissie at the self serve wrecker are around $50 exchange?

A complete exchange motor and this includes a AU motor are $130 exchange and i was at the wreckers at progress road getting another Alternator which i got the wrong one i had a ford one and the one i got was a motorcraft different wiring, Anyway they had two au motors in smashed cars so should be good ones or check ebay, by the way i did get the wiring plug when i got the other alternator just incase and have now soldered that one into the same wiring so i have two .

Or just get a replacement head at the wreckers and read the threads on this forum as to how to fit one.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Question: do AU motors actaully fit in ef fords?
coz if they do im sure i can get a nice cheap one, due to the fact au'sare a dime a dozen..

so yeah if au motors actually fit, this would be a credible avenue to look at.
thanks

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next