Fordmods Logo

EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins" 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

Okay, I don't know what to call this either the nut / bolt is striped or something.

I was giving the missus EL a service, this is the first that I have given it since we brought it in November. I put it up on the ramps and went to remove the sump plug and it seemed to just spin in it's place.

Is this bolt farq'd? What would be the assumption on this matter?

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa
Offline

Age: 26

Posts: 44

Joined: 1st Mar 2008

Ride: eb

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Okay, I don't know what to call this either the nut / bolt is striped or something.

I was giving the missus EL a service, this is the first that I have given it since we brought it in November. I put it up on the ramps and went to remove the sump plug and it seemed to just spin in it's place.

Is this bolt farq'd? What would be the assumption on this matter?


Definitely stripped, get this on motorbikes all the time. have u tried grabbing the bolt with vice grips and pulling it down hard as you try and unscrew it? that sometimes works.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

ebmonty92 wrote:
Froudey wrote:
Okay, I don't know what to call this either the nut / bolt is striped or something.

I was giving the missus EL a service, this is the first that I have given it since we brought it in November. I put it up on the ramps and went to remove the sump plug and it seemed to just spin in it's place.

Is this bolt farq'd? What would be the assumption on this matter?


Definitely stripped, get this on motorbikes all the time. have u tried grabbing the bolt with vice grips and pulling it down hard as you try and unscrew it? that sometimes works.


Will give it ago in the morn.

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1833

Joined: 3rd May 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

lifting vice grips and turning wrench sounds like a good plan to loose some bark. try levering the head against the sump with a flat bladed driver or similar. biggest thing is keeping pressure on when your unscrewing to get it to bite in. it has to be loaded.

still having said all that, the sump is still ratschitt. so at the end of the day your guna have to change the sump so whats a bit of oil spillage ? lol unless you can find a similar thread and bolt and retap, then risk running metal swarf through your oil galleries... which plenty of people do on boosted applications so you should be fine..... :?

either way thats geigh froudey.

 

_________________

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 887

Joined: 8th Aug 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
lifting vice grips and turning wrench sounds like a good plan to loose some bark. try levering the head against the sump with a flat bladed driver or similar. biggest thing is keeping pressure on when your unscrewing to get it to bite in. it has to be loaded.

still having said all that, the sump is still ratschitt. so at the end of the day your guna have to change the sump so whats a bit of oil spillage ? lol unless you can find a similar thread and bolt and retap, then risk running metal swarf through your oil galleries... which plenty of people do on boosted applications so you should be fine..... :?

either way thats geigh froudey.


you don't need to change the sump, they sell (over size sump bolt kits). Just tap new thread in and install new over size bolt...

 

_________________

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1833

Joined: 3rd May 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

then i stand corrected. thats good. i've never really looked at the ally sumps to see how much room they had round the hole. would be stuffed with a stamped steel one but eh ?

 

_________________

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
then i stand corrected. thats good. i've never really looked at the ally sumps to see how much room they had round the hole. would be stuffed with a stamped steel one but eh ?


My mechanic mate will be changing the oil cbf doing it myself atm cause of working and so fourth.

I assume that once it would be removed it could be retapped and another sump plug used. I just for the life of me know how could some one strip it.. like there is f**k all thread on the bolt and it doesn't need to be done up tight. Unless they used a air rachet and got excited...(previos owner)

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

OH s**t!!!

Comes to mind, I took it to my mechanic mate on wednesday to change the radiator and to fix the sump plug, he hasn't had any luck, he thinks that the spot welds from the nut has broke...

What should be done? Remove the sump and reweld the nut onto the sump and then reinstall or just bite the bullet get a new sump.

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 1434

Joined: 14th Jul 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I think if it was me i would have bit the bullet and swallowed it already. Get a new sump imo, i need to do the same for me Honda Prelude. Dont know how much it cost though.

 

_________________

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

asizzy wrote:
I think if it was me i would have bit the bullet and swallowed it already. Get a new sump imo, i need to do the same for me Honda Prelude. Dont know how much it cost though.


so ya reakon just swap don't repair the current one...

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 1434

Joined: 14th Jul 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

I don't know how good the over size sump bolt kits are, never had to use it. Where can you usually get the kits from? Might have to look into it myself. Froudey, It might be alot cheaper to look into this first.

 

_________________

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: EL I6 Sump Plug "Just Spins"
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 33

Posts: 6746

Joined: 13th Mar 2006

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane

Location: Bathurst
NSW, Australia

asizzy wrote:
I don't know how good the over size sump bolt kits are, never had to use it. Where can you usually get the kits from? Might have to look into it myself. Froudey, It might be alot cheaper to look into this first.


Yeah will have to.

 

_________________

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:48 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names