Fordmods Logo

EL wagon sluggish 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:46 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 Falcon Futura Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hmmm, I'd like to have an LSD, I have yet to find out whether it is.

UPDATE:

Today I went to UltraTune and got it 'sniffed'. The test came back negative indicating it's not the head. WOOHOO!!!

I also went to an exhaust place and the bloke there told me how to check the cat and exhaust through the process of elimination, I'll try that on wednesday after I've done my driving test (can't friggin wait!!)

I think I'll also take her to UltraTune again and get her plugged in to the computer for analysis, that should in theory tell me what's wrong.

Oh, and I'd might as well get a compression tester too (added to list).

Can anyone tell me how to establish whether I have an LSD or not without testing it on a slippery surface??

Thanks guys.

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Today I did the ECU self-test, it returned with codes 416, 116, 521 and 538 (although the last two were because I have to do something, I didn't get it right.

The 116 says ECT sensor failure and the 416 says ISC high test failure, but whether these would cause loss in power?

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

Buy a compression tester. They only cost around $40. Basicly you take out all spark plugs, connect the compression tester to cylinder 1 and start the car. Let the engine turn a couple of times. Then stop and see the reading of the compression. Im not sure what compression these engines have, think 190 to 180 psi. Reseat the compression tester and do this 3 times each cylinder and divide it by 3 to get an average, so basicly test all cylinders and write down the compression. If it is under the recommended psi, the engine is lossing compression through the compression rings. Which is most likely the cause if u cant find another problems.

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

oh yeh if the compression turns up good. Atleast you know your rings are not gone. engine is still good.

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

If the rings were gone, wouldn't it blow smoke?

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I have an EL wagon.. they're heavier and less aerodynamic.. hence slower. IMO, there's nothing wrong with you car mate.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:12 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

OK, I know this is kinda delayed but I figured I should post regarding my success.

After replacing the auxillary shaft, dizzy and almost all of the rest of the ignition system, she's fixed. Culpret: The dizzy.

Now it's easy to spin it up, it has enough power to kick the a*** out on dry road!

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

3.08 diff and a auto box,

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

Glad to hear its fixed.

Had the same prob with my mates EL I6 the stator wheel inside the dizzy I think it is called (the one with the slots in it) could spin on its own. Its supposed to rotate as the same speed as the main shaft thru the dizzy and was kinda doing its own thing. Result was no power and completely gutless.

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 97 EL Fairmont Wagon

QLD, Australia

I've got a 97 EL Auto Wagon with 320,000 klm on the clock and i give it a fairly hard time, i have a standard engine with a 3 inch sports exhaust and run a police ecu in it and this makes a big difference and run 235 tyres all round, from a standing start its pretty hard to smokem up but doughnuts and corners not a problem at all, the engine has never been reco'd and it doesn't use any oil

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

poita wrote:
UPDATE:

I took it up arthur's seat (not many of you'll know where or what this is) which is a decent hill climb and I really had to push it to get it up there, then at the top, it overheated, DAMN!!
On an average freeway onramp, I have to floor it to make it get to 100 by the time the ramp ends.

I'm now thinkin headgasket, because when you rev it or turn it off with the radiator cap off, it spits out half a litre of water.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm having the same issues at the moment, except my Head just got done.
Its overheating under load, and doesn't feel like its got the guts it used to, even though its been looked after, and not thrashed. Its in the workshop at the moment. Will advise on the eventual fix.

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Good luck mate!
I just hope it doesn't cost too much,

Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:06 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef wagon

VIC, Australia

my EF wagon has done 253,000. i have made it work hard for the last 10,000 or so. it recently made 99.6 RWKW on the dyno with about 4000 N of torque. full lock and hammer it and it will smoke. will do stand-stills (single spinner) with the 17's on but not with stockies at 55psi. i am yet to perform the 250,000 service so mabey after a little TLC she'll be all sweet.
the fact is we own wagons. big, long, heavy, leaf sprung, semi-aged wagons. cant expect it to do everything a sedan will.... just they way it works...

99.6 RWKW
mods = XR6T snorkle, AU XR 17's, 135 dB of Sony Xplod stereo

now with wade 1636, 2.5" catback and Ticky head

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah, true. I still believe my wagon handles better than my mates VS sedan, kinda sad really.

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

poita wrote:
if I had've known they don't take off very well, I would've bought a commonwhore wagon.
Thanks guys.

Come on don't bag the good ol wagons, mine is getting very old in the engine department but it still takes of OK and gives the 235's a cherp :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next