Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Exhaust and cabin noise
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:28 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

G'day lads,

I'm looking at going with some pacemakers soon (God bless xmas, aye?) and I just have two concerns about it.

1: The missus. I have a 2.5" catback with a rear resi and she already complains about my car being too loud inside the cabin. Will extractors give her a lot more to complain about? I'd rather keep her happy than piss her off every time she gets in my car... she already hates it as it is. It's a 'if she's happy, I'm happy' thing. She drives a Camry and it's so quite inside her car that you could use it as a music recording studio whilst it's driving, so anything is going to be loud compared to what she's used to... I just want to know if it's going to be a massive difference inside the car.

2: I don't want to look like some try-hard d***head with a loud and stupid family sedan with an exhaust system stuck on a stock engine. Basically, I don't want it to be too loud and I don't want it to sound like a drony wank-mobile but I do want better exhuast flow and a good, moderately loud exhaust system.

I do plan to do a cam and air intake system with a tune after the extractors, but I don't want to look like a homo at every set of lights in the mean time. Will I be able to avoid these two problems if I go with a set of Pacies in addition to my current catback system?

A mate of mine has a VS(?) SS ute and whilst it is a V8, he put a set of pacemakers on it and his car sounds like the f**k apocalypse. The gates of hell literally open every time he takes off. It sounds awesome, but that sort of thing is probably too much on a stock I6 with an auto.

An opinions/experiences would be great, thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Exhaust and cabin noise
Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

Kurfurst wrote:

A mate of mine has a VS(?) SS ute and whilst it is a V8, he put a set of pacemakers on it and his car sounds like the f**k apocalypse. The gates of hell literally open every time he takes off. It sounds awesome, but that sort of thing is probably too much on a stock I6 with an auto.

hahaha, must have a pretty expensive exhaust on it then if it sounds good. most holden 5L's with exhausts sound like a dying cat with a smokers cough.

then again, the same thing can be said about Falcons :lol:

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hello

On my EB with EL engine, 2.5" Redback with resi, I found that with the extractors it got quieter if anything. The exhaust sound also changed, which is to be expected when adding extractors.

Hope this helps.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Futura

VIC, Australia

That's encouraging, Ben, and definitely a good selling point with the missus. 8-)

I am actually expecting the exhaust note to sound worse, it has a pretty nice burble with the stock manifold. I expect that increasing the flow will get rid of any of that flow interuption that makes the exhaust sound good.

It's a means to an end, though, so it must be done.

Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

no wromng, i had a stocko manifold on a 2.5 with 1 muffler 1 resi, had a deep note and that gargle on the way down from rev s, fitted extractors and was thinking will have nothing now, at idle its quiet and its alot smoother, but now at revs 3000+ it pulls alot harder and would say louder in a way. just remewmber they wont bolt up straight away u will need to cut the cat and mod it to align the exhaust and extractors.deff mod worth doing and does not make your car louder and still has the gargle/ grumble/ bark on the way down.

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

My car had stock exhaust and no other mods before I fitted the 2.5 Redback catback, standard cat from my old exhaust and a set of Paceys. It was a little louder than stock but not overwhelmingly so - for only a single muffler it's very good. Has a great idle/backing off note and howls a bit when you give it boots. It doesn't drone or reverberate through the car because I didn't get a big cat for it. :)

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:29 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

ive got ceramic coated exstractors and a 2.5inch exhaust system but i have to resonators you can hear the engine alot better with exstractors on it, it tends to sound more grunty

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]