Fordmods Logo

General pain in the a--- issue - help required 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: General pain in the a--- issue - help required
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Hi Guys,

I'm on King Island, no workshop manual and few tools. This am I walked out to find a pool of coolant under my ef11 fairmont. Investigation revealed a leak under the inlet manifold. After crawling under te car I could see that it was where the rubber pipe joined the offshoot of thelarger steel pipe that runs up over the starter and behind the engine. There is a short 6" section of hose that then joins to another steel pipe up toward the air con compressor.

I fiddled with the pipe and it the steel immediatelly gave way, corroded through about 1 cm from the main pipe. I took the piece of hose off and took the metal that was still in it out and I have done the best I can to silicon up the join and clamp the hose back onto my 1cm bit of steel.

Obviosly I am going to need to change the whole pipe, but this looks like a nightmare. Where does this pipe attach too behind the engin and what is the best way to go about removing it? I will obviously replace all the hoses at the same time, but without a hoist it looks like a complete PITA.

Is this a common issue with falcons of this vintage and can you still buy the pipe? Any advice appreciated.

Post subject: Re: General pain in the a--- issue - help required
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It sound slike the heater hose pipe.
From what I know it goes around the back of the motor , up the drivers side and into the back of the water pump.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

its the heater pipe and yes they do rust out, i havent herd of it before on a falcon but on other cars of the same age or older i have, im not sure how to remove it, its quite easy with the engine out and im sure with a little bit of swearing could be done with the motor still in the car

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Well my options for taking the engine out are pretty limited - so I hope this is not required. My car is 198k with a full service history and very well maintained, so I am surprised at how much the pipe had corroded - but there you go :cry:

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:25 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

my heater pipe rusted out as well on my EF.

It's a fairly big job to replace it but here's what needs to be done.

the heater pipe comes in 2 parts.
1) back of the water pump, around the back of the motor to the passenger side where its reside's under the inlet manifold (this is known as Heater Pipe 1).
2) Out of the front thermostat housing part & it resides as well under the inlet manifold. (this is known as heater pipe 2)

there is a little 3" or so hose that joins heater pipe 1 & 2 together.

Changing heater pipe 2 is easy & can be done in little time (maybe 2 hours). Changing heater pipe 1 takes a little more time & also you will need to remove the automatic transmission crossmember bolts so that the engine tilts back for you to be able to remove the heater pipe 1 from over the transmission.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:40 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Its not that hard, drop your tail shaft, put your jack under the back of the gearbox, tilt the entire box and motor as one unit, drop your exhaust manifold. you should now have JUST enough room to replace it.

I have a car.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

OK - I am getting the picture now.

So in summary I need to unbolt the exhaust manifold. I need to remove gearbox crossmember, disconnect tailshaft, use jack to allow the engine to tilt to allow some access, have all the hoses disconnected from under the inlet manifold.

I should then be able to reach bolts that hold the pipe at the back of the engine x 2. Once this is done I can then wiggle and jiggle the pipe out (I am assuming it will be easiest going underneath the car). Thread the pipe back through from underneath, seating into waterpump with o ring. Bolt back to engine, jack up so gearboox cross member can be reinstalled, paut exhaust manifold back on, connect hoses, fill coolant.

Sounds like heaps of fun!!! :lol:

So what I guess will really happen:

Strip 2 studs trying to remove exhaust manifold. :oops: Tilt engine and gearbox but still fail to get big hands in to undo bolds at back of head. :evil: Spend three hours trying to "thread" pipe out. :? Give up and cut with hacksaw. :lol: Spend three hours trying to to thread new pipe in. Eventually get it but in forcing it in have bent a bit and brackets wont line up with bold holes. Finally get it reconnected and everything else sorted. Fire her up - O ring does not seal at waterpump. :shock: Exhaust manifold leaking.

Sounds like I need to get my race face on.....

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Quote:
Strip 2 studs trying to remove exhaust manifold. Tilt engine and gearbox but still fail to get big hands in to undo bolds at back of head. Spend three hours trying to "thread" pipe out. Give up and cut with hacksaw. Spend three hours trying to to thread new pipe in. Eventually get it but in forcing it in have bent a bit and brackets wont line up with bold holes. Finally get it reconnected and everything else sorted. Fire her up - O ring does not seal at waterpump. Exhaust manifold leaking.

wow spot on, did we just become best friends? we have so much in common haha

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:10 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

bry40l wrote:
Quote:
Strip 2 studs trying to remove exhaust manifold. Tilt engine and gearbox but still fail to get big hands in to undo bolds at back of head. Spend three hours trying to "thread" pipe out. Give up and cut with hacksaw. Spend three hours trying to to thread new pipe in. Eventually get it but in forcing it in have bent a bit and brackets wont line up with bold holes. Finally get it reconnected and everything else sorted. Fire her up - O ring does not seal at waterpump. Exhaust manifold leaking.

wow spot on, did we just become best friends? we have so much in common haha

Yeah we should have a beer and talk about the good ol days or something - havent got a good condition heater pipe have ya??

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah, but it would take a while to post down to you

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

bry40l wrote:
yeah, but it would take a while to post down to you

When you live on King Island, it doesnt matter where its comming from its a PITA.

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA Falcon

Power: 106 rwkw

SA, Australia

I would check its not just the heater tap thats rusted out.... very common on these....

2003 BA Falcon Egas Taxi Pack - XR Replica
Tpak MKII Build Thread

1984 ZL Fairlane
The Project

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah heater taps you can get new on ebay, not sure if they are any good or if they are chinese s**t though

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Heater tap is fine - its the junction between the main heater pipe and the smaller pipe that connects to the front steel pipe. The rest of the pipe seems fine, but of the 5cm of pipe that the hose connects to, i've got about 1 cm left - siliconed up to within an inch of its PITA life and held on tenuously by a barely gripping hose clamp.....

Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:32 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Heater tap is fine - its the junction between the main heater pipe and the smaller pipe that connects to the front steel pipe. The rest of the pipe seems fine, but of the 5cm of pipe that the hose connects to, i've got about 1 cm left - siliconed up to within an inch of its PITA life and held on tenuously by a barely gripping hose clamp.....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next