got my first lot of mods done!!! 

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

hornet wrote:
My Alted/RPD stage 3 cam runs on my stock non-tickford ECU. Idles around 750rpm.

Your signature says you 'godda' beat your mates VL. I'm assuming that means 'got to' beat your mates VL. I'd be supprised if you cant. My previous car was a 5 speed VL, current car a 5 speed EL. even in stock for it was about a second quicker down the 1/8 mile than the VL.

What transmission are you running? If its an auto, a 5 speed conversion should be high on the list, or a hi-stall.

yeah im surprised u have any problems but 2800rpm or so stalli with shift kit that will do the trick even up to a 3.45 LSD or higher gearing.

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

mrnasty wrote:
200rwkw is good power, but really the money you spend going 200+ in a N/A I6 is gonna leave you wanting more and most likely be dissapointed, as for $15,000 or whatever one will spend on the motor, 200rwkw isnt a hell of alot for that cash.

Hell, $15,000 will get you pushing 300rwkw and the rest in a good turbo setup.

alot of people dont have turbo setups, alot of people TALK about doing turbo setups on here, but never do it.

Either way mate, your car, just tryin to suggest more power for less!

very true .... trust me ive enquired on both setups many times and down the track i probably would do a turbo project on another falcon or sell my motor and do it on mine. But i enjoy everyday driving and like a bit of pace.

As much as id like to the risk of wiping out my car on a track or down the strip with huge force fed grunt is too high ive spent too much on the car. So something that you could have some pride chuckin on the dyno at the nats or a ford vs holden show in the NA class would be nice. Im not interested at all in 400m times...so to me 300rwkw is something id like but in no hurry to have...still be nice tho....

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef falcon

VIC, Australia

hornet wrote:
My Alted/RPD stage 3 cam runs on my stock non-tickford ECU. Idles around 750rpm.

Your signature says you 'godda' beat your mates VL. I'm assuming that means 'got to' beat your mates VL. I'd be supprised if you cant. My previous car was a 5 speed VL, current car a 5 speed EL. even in stock for it was about a second quicker down the 1/8 mile than the VL.

What transmission are you running? If its an auto, a 5 speed conversion should be high on the list, or a hi-stall.

i got an auto, i dont think ill go with a manual coz i was really rough with my dad's ever since i saw how V8 supercar drivers change gears lol, i think ill just get a shift kit n stall converter down the track, way down the track coz the engine is my main point of atttention.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

Quote:
so what would be the limit for an everyday driver?

limits for daily drivers realies on how big the cam is and how well you have the car tuned. Bigger cams have lumpier/rougher idles, although there have been a few cases where big cams on stock ECU's idle rough, then once an aftermarket ECU like WOLF goes in, the idle returns to almost stock qualitys. The worse the car is tuned, the more agro it will be in traffic, hot days, traffic lights etc.

In other words if your not going with aftermarket ECU's, the limit for a daily driver would be most likely an alted stageIII cam or maybe *maybe* a wade 1512. This will impose problems kickin 200rwkw in the a*** as for this power your gonna need a big big cam.

Also you shouldn't forget, a big cam is nothing without suitably modified head. the cam only opens the valves, its the sizes of the ports and the combustion chamber that determines how much air/fuel actually gets in.

basically im sayin a big cam on a stock EF head is just gonna bottle neck,lots of air/fuel mix will come rushing in then the motor will be trying to squeeze lots of air through small stock ports.

Quote:
Im not interested at all in 400m times...so to me 300rwkw is something id like but in no hurry to have...still be nice tho....

hehe, i was the same, but trust me once you go for a spin in a car with over 300kw at the wheels, everything else seems slow. I was happy with my little 6, after my mates VT cracked 312rwkw, im left wanting more!

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ef falcon

VIC, Australia

ok so i rang crow cams and they said there cams are all the same price but for their "mild performance cam" id need the cam, top gear and valve springs, autobarn quoted me 650 for parts, if i wanted the performance cam they said id have to also get a new chip, they recomended chiptorque and the one they rekon i should go for is another 600 bucks.

because i know stuff all about engines and im learning as i go i just found out that the head gasket and heads have been machined and shaved a bit, i dont know really what that does other than to reduce leaks or something

because my budget isnt going to extend to over $5000 im thinking of getting maybe 150rwkw or so. what would be the 1/4 mile times of a falconn with 150 rwkw?

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mrnasty wrote:
200rwkw is good power, but really the money you spend going 200+ in a N/A I6 is gonna leave you wanting more and most likely be dissapointed, as for $15,000 or whatever one will spend on the motor, 200rwkw isnt a hell of alot for that cash.

Hell, $15,000 will get you pushing 300rwkw and the rest in a good turbo setup.

alot of people dont have turbo setups, alot of people TALK about doing turbo setups on here, but never do it.

Either way mate, your car, just tryin to suggest more power for less!

out right power is not the point for me. it'a about building some thing that i will be happy with. sure i could spend the same money on a turbo setup but it would only be a meduim power turbo setup. I would much rather push the limmits of an N/A engine then have a medium turbo engine.

200rwkw in the one of these cars is pushin 100hp/L it the same as one of the V8 guys trying for 500hp N/A using E7 heads.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

You can get a turbo for less but how long will it last on a standard block.
theres something about a detailed blueprinted A/N rebuilt that is far more worthwhile then any bolt on short-cuts. its a challenging coal.

Besides, maybe later on you could go turbo or s/c. decompression {head casket/pistons} presdo..... you already have a bullet proof engine with all the goodies, plus the extensive head work you've done to achieve 200+rwkw. you're looking at a extra 100 to 200kw with a 6-9psi boost.{scenario}

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Slick wrote:
You can get a turbo for less but how long will it last on a standard block.
theres something about a detailed blueprinted A/N rebuilt that is far more worthwhile then any bolt on short-cuts. its a challenging coal.

Besides, maybe later on you could go turbo or s/c. decompression {head casket/pistons} presdo..... you already have a bullet proof engine with all the goodies, plus the extensive head work you've done to achieve 200+rwkw. you're looking at a extra 100 to 200kw with a 6-9psi boost.{scenario}

I've done 15000 kays on 15psi so far and its still a good tight motor, and its done 220000kays... its all in the tune.
Bang for buck you can not go past a big turbo on an i6, its been proven so many times, that is the reasone why turbos are so so so popular

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

you have a target of rwkw in mind and every one will tell you what they either know or have heard, the only advise I know that works is to talk to engine builders and work out your own combination but it's a fine line between a waste of cash and reliability.Good luck and let us know the results.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3