Fordmods Logo

Heat Issues when fiiting Pacemakers to BA XR6??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Heat Issues when fiiting Pacemakers to BA XR6???
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU XR8 220 Series 2

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

I havent posted anything for nearly 2 years...

Anyway i have bought a BA Xr6 Mk2 Manual recently and last night I fitted Pacemakers PH4499's and a high flow cat.

My Questions is, has anyone had any issues with heat as in burning the rubber hoses, plastic plugs etc near the exhaust manifold. The hoses sit close to the pipes, any thoughts? I would prefer not to put on a heat shield.

Thanks

EB 1 Fairmont - SOLD
BA XR6 MKII - KIA
AU 2 XR8 220 - Stock - Silhouette, 5spd man.

Post subject: Re: Heat Issues when fiiting Pacemakers to BA XR6???
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Im not running a heatshield and havnt had any issues with mine (Hurricane brand but I am pretty sure they are very similar to paccies), post up a pic so we can see

Here is a close up of mine

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

here is a pic, all i have as im at work. you can see how close the hoses are.

Attachments:
IMAG0464.jpg
IMAG0464.jpg [ 147.67 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]

EB 1 Fairmont - SOLD
BA XR6 MKII - KIA

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

commandojones wrote:

If you're worried, can always buy heat wrap...either wrap the exhaust or if you want to display the exhaust, wrap everything around the exhaust which might be open to a lot more radiant heat. If not a partial stainless steel heat shield just to block the heat from the hoses affected.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hmm doesnt seem any closer than mine (need a bigger pic when you got a chance). At least ur paint hasnt come off like my s**t ones lol, i think papa smurf said something to me about the brake booster or some s**t (the big circular thing that is attached to the firewall in the upper left of your pic) and covering a little part of it with some aluminium tape as the heat can affect it or something. I dont have any pics of mine with it on but perhaps someone else can explain this in more depth?

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

phil545 wrote:
Hmm doesnt seem any closer than mine (need a bigger pic when you got a chance). At least ur paint hasnt come off like my s**t ones lol, i think papa smurf said something to me about the brake booster or some s**t (the big circular thing that is attached to the firewall in the upper left of your pic) and covering a little part of it with some aluminium tape as the heat can affect it or something. I dont have any pics of mine with it on but perhaps someone else can explain this in more depth?

The extra radiant heat can cause the plastic brake booster to fail prematurely. Probably why you see so many E-series boosters breaking at the moment due to age and high exposure to heat (for those with extractors without some sort of heat protection). My booster broke 2 weeks ago, was only a matter of time...deciding to get the exhaust heat wrapped ($80 odd) or ceramic coated ($250-300)...ceramic coated does make it look better.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:57 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
commandojones wrote:

If you're worried, can always buy heat wrap...either wrap the exhaust or if you want to display the exhaust, wrap everything around the exhaust which might be open to a lot more radiant heat. If not a partial stainless steel heat shield just to block the heat from the hoses affected.

Yeh i was thinking that, i never worried about it in the EB.
I held my hand near the hoses last night after i took it for a drive and it didnt seem any hotter than the other water hoses. I might something knock something up to draw the heat away from the hoses and brake booster unit (i know what one is Phil545 - Thanks :) )

Thanks guys.

EB 1 Fairmont - SOLD
BA XR6 MKII - KIA

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Phongus -YEAH Thats what it was, this little plastic circle on the brake booster. i stuck some aluminium tape over it as suggested.

Commandojone - no worries mate, always happy to help

New Build Thread

Old Build Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
phil545 wrote:

The extra radiant heat can cause the plastic brake booster to fail prematurely. Probably why you see so many E-series boosters breaking at the moment due to age and high exposure to heat (for those with extractors without some sort of heat protection). My booster broke 2 weeks ago, was only a matter of time...deciding to get the exhaust heat wrapped ($80 odd) or ceramic coated ($250-300)...ceramic coated does make it look better.

I have seen this first hand, i had to replace a unit on a friends EL a year ago.

I was reading on a another thread people refit their head sheilds (needs a few mods) over extractors so i see how that goes tonight.

EB 1 Fairmont - SOLD
BA XR6 MKII - KIA

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

commandojones wrote:
phongus wrote:
phil545 wrote:

I have seen this first hand, i had to replace a unit on a friends EL a year ago.

I was reading on a another thread people refit their head sheilds (needs a few mods) over extractors so i see how that goes tonight.

It depends which extractors you got. In the E-series, if you got the 4480s, the standard heat shield can't go over pipes since it sits higher, 4499s were more level so you could bend/flatten the standard heat shield to fit. I'm pretty sure with a bit of fiddling around one can fit the standard heat shield over any extractors.

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
commandojones wrote:
phongus wrote:
phil545 wrote:

I have the 4499's i think (the non-competition ones to suit BA), I see what happens tonight.

Thanks

It depends which extractors you got. In the E-series, if you got the 4480s, the standard heat shield can't go over pipes since it sits higher, 4499s were more level so you could bend/flatten the standard heat shield to fit. I'm pretty sure with a bit of fiddling around one can fit the standard heat shield over any extractors.

EB 1 Fairmont - SOLD
BA XR6 MKII - KIA

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

What is this commandojones, where's wally? had to look for the message you typed within the quotes haha

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:13 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

lol i dunno what i did either.

EB 1 Fairmont - SOLD
BA XR6 MKII - KIA

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

lol hide the msg in the quotes :lol: :lol: :lol:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]