Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Need help with a eb project
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:59 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

Hi,
Iv found a eb in the need of rescuing! I'm going to ring the guy and hopefully grab the car on sat. The 2 problems with the car are; it's not registered and it's got a buggered head gasket although he says it idles fine.

First problem is to get it back to my house, if I put a bottle of seal up will it work fairly quickly?

I have a eb but it's not the best ( I know it's dodgy) but could I just put my licence/compliance plates on it and call it registered?

Also if I do a au engine conversion what would be involved into using the au ecu to run only the engine like on the barra conversion, would it be beneficial have it running the bbm, coilpack?

If anyone can contribute anything please do. These cars are kinda going limp on fordmods in the terms of modding. It would be nice to have another project that people could help on.

Cheers,
Fullyforded (chris)

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Post subject: Re: Need help with a eb project
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

It might only have a weeping headgasket so the seal up should work I just dont know how quickly.

If both ebs are the same coulor then you could change the plates but that means drilling out the pop rivets and riveting them where they are meant to go on the other car. You could swap just the number plates but if you get pulled up and the cop checks the plates under the hood your stuffed. If you change all the plates and you get pulled up if the cop knows to check the engine number it will be different to the engine in it and he will tell you to change it.

Ive seen it done before by my brother with his r33 he got one with a better body without dents but the same coulor. Heswapped all the plates and put his good engine in it and he hasn't had a problem. Seeing as I dont know why the cops need to check the plates under the hood you should be fine.

As for the conversion I love the idea of it but you will need the wiring harness, ecu and of course engine and gear box. If your using a manual you will need a j3 to convert the ecu so to speak to a manual one. The bbm is good because at lower revs you will have the longer runners giving you more torque down low and I think its at 3250rpm the butterfly opens to use the other half of the bbm giving you more top end horse power. The coil packs are a great idea as they are better and more reliable then a dizzy. I am lucky enough to own a NA2 lane and my stepdad has an AU2 lane so I can compare the difference between the 2.

But at the end of the day its up to you but to me id say weeping head gasket, do the plate swap if you want I would because if you get pulled up just say you swapped the motor and the conversion sounds great.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Cheers for the reply, luckily in perth I can get a 24 hour moving permit to drive it back, as for colour I can fill out a form to change it. The guy said I can pick it up tomorrow at 3 so I hope I get it!

I'm going to get a mate over to asses on how much it would cost to take it over the pits to get done legally, changing plates is a last option.

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Okay cool smart idea.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Good thing too as the VIN is stamped on the body pretty much right next to the compliance plates.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Ok so update! That deal fell through with the eb I was looking at, the guy wasn't the greatest to deal with.
I have found another eb 1993 that I'm going to have a look at tonight not far from my house. All the cheap ford have problems! The fuel pump has no power but that's a 3 min fix! The problem is I don't have a trailer so I have to drive it back, hope I can get it running!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]