Fordmods Logo

NO POWER DOWN BOTTOM 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: NO POWER DOWN BOTTOM
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Hi all i have a falcon EBII that ive upgradded with an EL hybrid engine,trans im running EB 3 belt drive and i wanna chip because i installed a wade cam,..so! I spoke to someone who sells the J3 chip and they said change to an EL ECU 1st now my car has nothing down bottem end it takes off slow as, does anyone no why?(i haven got the chip yet)

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Post subject: Re: NO POWER DOWN BOTTOM
Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

What intake manifold are you running?

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Original EBII

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

Change the bbm over to the el one. Do the serpitine belt conversion,

If its low down bottom, possibly the the timing is out, by couple of tooth or it needs to go on a dyno to get it tuned correctly

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
Hi all i have a falcon EBII that ive upgradded with an EL hybrid engine,trans im running EB 3 belt drive and i wanna chip because i installed a wade cam,..so! I spoke to someone who sells the J3 chip and they said change to an EL ECU 1st now my car has nothing down bottem end it takes off slow as, does anyone no why?(i haven got the chip yet)

Base Ign timing needs adjusting, set following the correct procedue for EL's............Generally when you put a EL ECU into a EA_ED with original engine you need to set the timing too 16degrees BTDC compared with the normal 10BTDC.

But with a EL Engine and EL ECU you need to set the timing too +-2degrees on TDC. As the ECU runs about 16advance under normal running conditions.

Cheers... Another sticky TICKFORD6..................

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Last edited by EL__Fairmont on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

How do i change timing? i thought it was all ECU controlled

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
How do i change timing? i thought it was all ECU controlled

read through post on this fisrt page EL hesitating while cruising....have outlined procedure......

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

so even tho i have an EB with an EL ECU its most likely timing

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ford-racer46 wrote:
so even tho i have an EB with an EL ECU its most likely timing

thats your problem..
the el ecu is set up for the el bbm and the ecu ignition map is different..
so now your using it on the eb log manifold you need to advance the ignition timing a few deg to make up for the torque loss..
otherwise to get the most out of the el ecu you need the bbm...

Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Cool man i get it now so advance my timing until i get her chipped! No problem thanks everyone for your help

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

Ive got a similar problem in my EB running an EA engine (log manifold) with a chipped EL ECU.
Its not gutless down low but certainly not as responsive as even my dads stock EB2 wagon.

Even though the ignition maps have been custom tuned through the chip, would this still require the base ignition timing to be advanced to get more response in the low revs?
Sorry my knowledge is limited when it comes to ignition and anything to do with timing.

EL XR6 Manual
Tickford Kit, 18" ANZ's, Kings SL/SSL & Sachs.

Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Ive spoke to some guys they say make sure that the base timing is advanced, and apparently ya need that vacumed BBM solinoid wired into number 15 pin in the ECU and EARTHED but im not sure were those hoses go ive been told tho it makes a difference tho i wish i new i think there is a diagram on here some were but its really vauge if any one knows can ya help a brother?

SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

How does adjusting the timing via the dizzy affect the spark tables that are programmed or tuned into the ECU?

EL XR6 Manual

Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

the el ecu with dizzy setup wont have "spark tables". the ecu can only adjust ignition timing about +/- 4 degrees so if your at say 10 btdc now its range will be 14 to 6 deg btdc but if you need 16 btdc (maybe more with 98 octane??) then you'll be looking at a range of 20 to 12 deg btdc. the computer cycles though signals like the O2 sensor (eg. once it gets to rich it leans it out, then when it get lean it richens the mixture out and does this over and over quickly). same with ignition timing it will advance (as much as it can) til it gets a signal from the knock sensor from slight "pinging/pinking" and then retards timing and starts again trying to run at best possible advance without pinging its head off. some tuner guys also relocate or earth out their knock sensors to squeze more power with retarding at the slightest knock but reduces bottom end life big time i think.

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ah ok so the timing set by the distributor is the base timing, and then the ecu can adjust slightly from there based on feedback from sensors.

On my EB, ive had the ecu tuned but i believe the dizzy timing is set to standard. So I could adjust the base timing to try and get more TOTAL timing advance (until knock occurs) without having to retune the ECU?

When you say the EL ECU wont have spark tables, how does this differ from the spark multiplier tables that were adjusted during my tune?

EL XR6 Manual

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next