Fordmods Logo

OIL ONCE AND FOR ALL 

Page 13 of 19 [ 284 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next

Post subject: Re: OIL once and for all
Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
K&N oil filters will filter 98% at 35 microns,50% at 16 microns.

Donaldson endurence filters will filter
98.7% at 15 micron contaminants, 50% 7 micron.
they also have a higher dirt holding capacity and a higher crack pressure on the bypass valve

the cross reference for a ryco Z9 or motorcraft AFL1 is P-169071

Who keeps these filters and whats there rough cost???

Also whats ur oppinion on purolator filters???

http://www.purolator.com.au/index.php

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: OIL once and for all--updated first post--24.4.2010
Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:22 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 97 EL Falcon

WA, Australia

Well since I bought my first falcon 2 months back, I immediately changed to Shell's high mileage 15W50, which I had been using in my previous car with good results.

From anyone with more knowledge in oils than me, am I correct in assuming that this a good oil for these engines? I mean, I know that you are basically paying for a fancy label on the bottle, and a fancy handle design, but is there really any major difference between a cheap k-mart oil, and a branded oil?

Seeing as oils are all manufactured in the same ways.

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont EF

VIC, Australia

Hi guys i own a Ford BA Mk2 Futura with 185,000 on it and am looking at what oil to use when i get it serviced next. The recommendation in the ford book is 10-30, but i am not sure if this is what should be used as many other people use different oil. One other i would also like to mention is that on a cold start up you can hear lifter noise and also while accelerating while the car is cold lifter noise is hear. I Would like some honest opinions of what i should use, thank you.

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
I didnt like penrite because of that factor WildEB. Nice pressure, but lifter noise.

Was using Mitsubishi Oil 15W50 oil. API SM/CF in the ED Falcon, worked a treat with Nulon products as well. No issues at all, but felt like it burnt about a litre as well after 3 months which it also did on the EL XR6

Last change i went with on the EL XR6 i used Shell Helix HX7 K 15W-50 High Mileage, just to give it a try. Was like $31 on special so i thought why not. I always use a Nulon E10-20-30 additive or whatever and seems to do a good trick. I use the Nulon stuff as thats 500-600mls, and oil is like 5 Litres and yet car takes 5.5 litres so fills in the gaps nicely.

Previous experience with Shell was ok. Used about 1 litre of oil over 3 months or so. Cant remember exactly. I remember my mechanic changing my old shell oil for free, i supplied parts, said that it was golden and in great condition. Just gotta see how well it lasts in this car with this newer oil designed for high mileage.

golden and in good condition?
wtf sounds like your discribing a rude act :shock:
from what i was told it should at least be a little dark as that shows the deturgents and such are working and cleaning the crap out of your engine

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I use Valvoline Dura Blend semi synthetic 15w-50 and it stays clean and golden for 2 months then gets dark into the 3rd month and thats happened 6 times in the last 1.5yrs that ive owned it, and yes i do change my oil and filter every 3 months no matter what kms i do but its always under 5000kms in 3 months.

I just used Penrite 15w-60 in my parents EF so ill see how that goes but mum has said it sounds and feels smoother but will report back with next oil change.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Im thinking about throwing in a bottle of Castrol GP50 and see what it does. The old engine needs a little bit of victor bray thickness in it. Straight 50w should do it.

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

tickford_6 wrote:
i'm actually considering use a fuchs 0W20 next service. be interesting to see what happens,

I finally managed to get hold of some GT1 0W20, It'll be going in the AU next week.
Costs twice the price of the current oil but it is a long drain oil so it will be staying in twice as long.

Will try and organize oil analysis every 2000km

Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XG

VIC, Australia

Gday,

I'm driving a 93 XG with 240 odd on the clock. On my last oil change, which was the first in this car, i opted for Magnatec, however now im getting oil pressure around 1-2bar and under 1 bar if pushed hard. It has lifter noise on startup for between 5-60 seconds and if taken to 100kmh very nasty lifter noise and oil pressure about 1 bar.

I havent checked the oil pressure manually as the lifter noise sort of verifies that its low.

Ive been told to run a litre of diesel in with my oil for 10 minutes drain it and go for a thicker oil, the second part seems to fit in with this thread. What i plan on trying is 15w50 first and if that doesnt fix it 20w60, what are your thoughts?

Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ewensmith wrote:
Gday,

I'm driving a 93 XG with 240 odd on the clock. On my last oil change, which was the first in this car, i opted for Magnatec, however now im getting oil pressure around 1-2bar and under 1 bar if pushed hard. It has lifter noise on startup for between 5-60 seconds and if taken to 100kmh very nasty lifter noise and oil pressure about 1 bar.

I havent checked the oil pressure manually as the lifter noise sort of verifies that its low.

Ive been told to run a litre of diesel in with my oil for 10 minutes drain it and go for a thicker oil, the second part seems to fit in with this thread. What i plan on trying is 15w50 first and if that doesnt fix it 20w60, what are your thoughts?

I'd be more worried about WHY its got low oil pressure and less worried about what oil might bandaid the problem.

Post subject: Re: Re:
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

tickford_6 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
i'm actually considering use a fuchs 0W20 next service. be interesting to see what happens,

I finally managed to get hold of some GT1 0W20, It'll be going in the AU next week.
Costs twice the price of the current oil but it is a long drain oil so it will be staying in twice as long.

My oil supplier has informed me that they offer oil analysis, Fuchs have in house oil analysis, but use an independent laboratory in an effort to prevent any bias.

I'm going to take a sample at 5000km and then every 2500 after that until testing shows the oil needs changing.

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

My oil supplier has informed me that they offer oil analysis, Fuchs have in house oil analysis, but use an independent laboratory in an effort to prevent any bias.

I'm going to take a sample at 5000km and then every 2500 after that until testing shows the oil needs changing.

pretty sure that's not how it works
if they do the same as the mining industry
it just measures the amount of different metal particles/types
in the oil and tells you from that what parts are "wearing out " faster than the rest
and which ones need changing at that particular service

Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

alby-73 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

pretty sure that's not how it works
if they do the same as the mining industry
it just measures the amount of different metal particles/types
in the oil and tells you from that what parts are "wearing out " faster than the rest
and which ones need changing at that particular service

You can do the sample at any point you want to.
This is more an exercise in proving viscosity has pretty much stuff all to do with how well an oil lubricates and hopefully show people that this fascination with using thick oil for protection is crap.

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU111 XR6 VCT Supercharged

QLD, Australia

Awesome, I'll be keen to see the results at different test points. I went from HPR15 (50 or 60?) up to Sougi s6000 10w40 on my supercharged AU. Other factors obviously involved, but the car makes more power, uses less fuel, revs more freely, feels smoother and has not lost any oil pressure. Previously it had used HPR15 its whole life.

I'm stretching out oil changes to 10K now.

I wonder if a 10w30 - as per AU engine requirements - might be even better. Lower viscosity in a good oil is definately the go.

Joe

FOR SALE! - Supercharged AUIII XR6 VCT, intercooled, T5, big brakes.... details in the 'For Sale' section - ford-parts-for-sale-f17/fs-supercharged-au-xr6-vct-series-iii-intercooled-rwc-rego-t114254.html

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Not sure if this link has been posted yet, and yes im aware this test is old, and also not a definitive test for engine oils....... however nevertheless it is interesting, enough for me to convert from my Shell Helix range to try one of the top ranking oils for similar money (Valvoline durablend)

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1992 EB Fairmont 302 Windsor

QLD, Australia

What's the recommended process for migrating the oil in a car to better product?

I bought an EL falcon and have no way of finding out what was previously run it, so is there some middle ground or just do a filter and oil change, drop in the new hear and give it a whirl?

Sort by  
 Page 13 of 19  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next