Fordmods Logo

PHENOLIC SPACERS for Broad Band Manifold... 

Page 5 of 9 [ 125 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Hi. Am writing this on cellphone about 100k north of Wellington having bought an expensive non contact infrared thermometer. It tells me what I expected- heat transfer from head to broad band manifold is significant. The top of the manifold is always cooler by 10-15 degrees c.

Therefore you are totally wasting your time with Mate Mace's original design. Well, not totally, but... Realistically... Ha to you.

I was amazed at the actual difference between head at port and manifold at port. More when home.

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:39 pm 

Ride: Drives Like Fun

Power: 318 rwkw

Location: Melbourne Interior: Cappucino Exterior: Sparkling Burgundy
VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Hi. Am writing this on cellphone about 100k north of Wellington having bought an expensive non contact infrared thermometer. It tells me what I expected- heat transfer from head to broad band manifold is significant. The top of the manifold is always cooler by 10-15 degrees c.

Therefore you are totally wasting your time with Mate Mace's original design. Well, not totally, but... Realistically... Ha to you.

I was amazed at the actual difference between head at port and manifold at port. More when home.

Your post sounds contradicting ? If the top part of the manifold is 10-015 C cooler than that of where the lower part of the manifold bolts to the head, then suffice to say there are gains to be had with stopping the heat soak from the two points via bakerlite spacers (head and BBM insulators) ?

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

dcstraight wrote:
I am also waiting to hear back from a contact about the head to manifold insulator (paid for) - very eager to try that one out also.

Is your contact going to be willing to sell them to anyone else too?

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:34 pm 

VIC, Australia

Sorry Scott - a misunderstanding there...it is the same crowd - Mace Engineering.

I haven't fitted the head / manifold insulator yet...hope to do so over the next couple of days.

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/COLD-AIR-INTAKE- ... 240%3A1318

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Message is not contradicting. Merely stating that the top half off BBM is cooler than bottom. MACE's original design ONLY isolated the top from the bottom.

The BBM is HOTTEST BY FAR where it touches the gasket to the head. Simple, my idea (and MACES second idea) would therefore work a dam sight better.

Air ALWAYS travels through the super hot ports and long runners from the bottom of the BBM to the ports. By making this area cooler, it should have miles more real world effect than just doing the top half. Not rocket science that, and fail to see a contradiction.

Yeah - Good one - that is the link to the MACE engineering E-BAY listing.

Here's the listing for mine http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =197800510 which as about the same, other than mine is 8mm. Advantages in 8mm will become apparent once you start installing in my humble opinion.

Am not going to get rich off this idea anyways, that's for sure.

Pity none of my ideas have been the first off the block... Of the best, probably OVAL PISTONS was the great one - Honda bet me by about 15 years there. Maybe I'll come up with someone no one else has thought of one day. Until then I ratain the right to be a bitter and twisted old man.

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

haha it happens to the best of us mate, it seems when you think of an idea someone somewhere has already started doing it. I get freaked out because it happens a lot! haha

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:36 pm 

VIC, Australia

Thanks for your clarification fiend - I understand clearly what you are saying now...your previous message was a little vague IMO.

I realise the BBM insulator by itself is not the greatest in terms of preventing heat soak...and yes totally agree that when teamed with the head / manifold insulator 98mm or 12mm) will be *closer* to a more significant result.

As we all know, there is little aftermarket options for our beloved ES I6 motor...so when there is something of interest available, who really cares where the product comes from - at least someone has taken the time to design, test and produce.

Fiend - is your product in NZD or AUD ?

Vic Cruises & Events

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Just make urs cheaper.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: falcon au ute

QLD, Australia

well fiend, i think im going to buy one from you! ...woo!!
only thing is ur listing in NZ Dollars?
im like you, constantly striving for cold air ... lol

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cold air, is good air...

No way to make it cheaper at present as the material costs $130NZ (enough to make two) and the cutting costs me almost as much!

Listing is in NZ PESO, not AU dollar, so take that into consideration!

Should be able to do free post either way, so take that into consideration too...

;)

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:49 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just as a reminder we developed this product long before fiend did therefore his design isn't really "original"... Again check out the links below

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/adds ... s_arrows=0

http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/adds ... s_arrows=0

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

Steve, You've already pointed that out.
I'll speak on behalf of many on here when i say, we won't be buying yours.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:27 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Well OsbornThomas,

Going by this quote it's comes across that we developed this product second... Unless i've misread it in which case I apologise.

fiend wrote:
Message is not contradicting. Merely stating that the top half off BBM is cooler than bottom. MACE's original design ONLY isolated the top from the bottom.

The BBM is HOTTEST BY FAR where it touches the gasket to the head. Simple, my idea (and MACES second idea) would therefore work a dam sight better.

Which is why I submitted the link again. Put your self in our position, you spend a considerable amount of time and money coming up with a novel idea when someone else comes along and still claims its as these even though you have proof that it was developed much more then 12months ago? Put yourself in our shoes for a moment how would you feel?

You entitled to spend your money however you choose. Our purpose to participate in this post was just to clear a couple of things up, we never came on here selling items initially however if others are advertising there products on this forum (which we developed first, and is protected IP in this country) without paying advertising costs we why shouldn't we? I know this isn't fair which is why I hoping that the mods clean this thread up, or make us pay to sponsor the site, which I think would be a fair outcome.

Some people may have ill feeling towards us however, I'd like to know where we've done anything wrong? If we're in the wrong I'm more then happy applogise and amend what's been done wrong.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Why is it a novel idea??? These spacers have been available for many non i6 motors for ages....

why is either of you making one for the 16 anything other than copying someone else's idea and adapting it for a different motor (the 16 in this case).

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 9  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next