ports 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: ports
Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

chris sieclay wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
chris sieclay wrote:
just clean the dags and burrs up.. rub down the inlet tracts but leave rough not polished to promote a little swirl.
you'll still have to take it to a head guy to have a 3 angle valve job on it.. have it all measured up right.

stock heads already have a 3 angle seat. and for the time you spend taking off dags and burrs ect.
I could spend half the time doing a bowl job and leave the dags and burrs in place and still pick up double the flow that your effort would get.

yeah.. but there isnt going to be much of the seats left after the 80 grit gets in there.. hey we are talking to this guy, he doesnt know what he's doing.. they have to be knowledgeably unshrouded, you want him to get stuck into the bowls? :P
what do the standard heads flow at any rate? might be a waste of time unless the motor is off its tits.. i remember back when we'd port the old honda 750 heads till we flowed a standard one.. it flowed a 1000cc anyway.
My left nut he f**k the head.. :)
why would you leave the burrs and dags?

My point was for the time spent, removing burrs and dags equates 1/3 of f**k all when it comes to getting these heads to flow. It would be a waste of time.
The time needs to be spent in the bowl and short turn.

Scroll down this page until you find the pics of the AU VCT head that I cut up.
ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/possible-head-porting-docco-coming-soon-t86312-80.html

There aren't to many dags or burrs to be seen, yet the area 1/2inch either side of the seat and the short turn is pretty ordinary. Time is better spent in the worst areas if you are looking for the best gains.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

well i've just picked up the set of extractors and the head work is coming next then the cam.but i was just wondering what other people have done to there heads im good with my hands pull heads off all the time im just not 100% sure what i need to polish.i polished the s**t out of my cr125 ports and that was inlet and exhuast and the thing was off its head but thats a 2 stroke motor bike. i was just curious. and whats this about polishing throttle bodies??? and playing with shims on spark plugs? please explain...

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

wild-el wrote:
well i've just picked up the set of extractors and the head work is coming next then the cam.but i was just wondering what other people have done to there heads im good with my hands pull heads off all the time im just not 100% sure what i need to polish.i polished the s**t out of my cr125 ports and that was inlet and exhuast and the thing was off its head but thats a 2 stroke motor bike. i was just curious. and whats this about polishing throttle bodies??? and playing with shims on spark plugs? please explain...

Actually that link Tickford6 put up of the cutaway shows ideally where the port needs to be worked.. you can see how the port would like to flow.
nice link actually, thanks for that.

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Another Fordmods Link. fordmods-tech-f57/

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2