Fordmods Logo

Possible Alternator problem? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Possible Alternator problem?
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford Falcon EL Futura

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, Ive recently added front and rear footwell lights to my EL. This was 2 days ago, that night i went out, car started fine and ran as it usually does, yesterday i cleaned out my car, left the doors open so all the interior lights were on aswell. Normally this doesnt drain my battery but today when i went out to start it all i got was clicks, So i put the battery on charge and charged it to 100%.

The little light on my battery is green indicating that it is fine. I started it while it was charging and it started fine, Turned off the engine. took of the battery charger and that was that.
I came out later on to just make sure it was still working and CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK! Son of a! I checked the battery and it was giving me a reading of 10... So, I pulled the battery out of my sisters car and plugged it in, Started first go. While the engine was running i put my battery back in and took it around the block a few times for good measure, When i got home i turned off the engine and immediatly tried to start it again and wouldnt you know it, My favourite clicking sound returned. Battery reading was 10. I left my battery unplugged for half an hour and checked the voltage, Gave me a reading of 12.

Now im just wondering if my Alternator is dying/dead or maybe something i had done wiring up the interior lights, They all worked fine and turned off when the doors were closed. However i also snipped the wire connecting all 3 lights and tried to charge and start again but the results were the same, im thinking its just coincedental and that my alternator is on its way out, But id prefer to get some opinions from you guys before i start buying expensive parts. Cheers

Post subject: Re: Possible Alternator problem?
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Sounds like you need a new battery. When it won't hold charge, give it the boot.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

sounds like there is something draning power when the car is off, or the battery is just about buggered..
charge the battery, then leave it overnight not connected, then fit it to the car..
if it dont start the car after sitting? its not holding charge meaning its buggered..

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

as above, try another battery for a day or two.

G\Having a green indicator doesn't mean its good, it means 'that cell' is ok, to a point.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Thanks for the replies guys, i wacked my sisters battery back in and took it for a drive, Came home, turned the engine off and started it again with no problems and the voltage was still the same before i put it in, So it does look like the battery is stuffed. My dad has a spare so ill be charging that tonight and using that for a while. Its been sitting around for a year though so ill be looking to buy a new battery if it does turn out to be the problem. Thanks for your help :)

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Any half decent battery place will be able to test it for you to see if its holding charge for free, but it seems you've already found the problem.
See if you cant get a new battery with around 600CCA.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

it'll be the battery.

is your alternator light on, on the dash? or have you tested the voltage across the battery with the engine running?

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:15 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Ok, So the spare battery also wont start my car, but its highly likely that that battery is also rooted. When my car does start the battery is at 14 volts, My headlights do not dim while revving the engine.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Thats because your alterntator takes the load of your electrical system when on.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:24 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

switchx_o wrote:
Ok, So the spare battery also wont start my car, but its highly likely that that battery is also rooted. When my car does start the battery is at 14 volts, My headlights do not dim while revving the engine.

Did you have the battery disconnected when installing interior footwell lights? May have spiked/damaged the BCM????

10A Ctrl Lamp fuse still ok and what does the smart lock light on dash do when it doesn't start.

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

I didnt have the battery disconnected but i did take the fuse out. Gonna do some more testing now and see how we go.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If the car starts there is nothing wrong with the smartlock... Because its not immobilised...

If the interior lights work then the interior fuse isn't blown...

If the volts raise to around 14 when running on your volt scale the alt is fine...

If the battery wont charge or wont hold charge its got a collapsed cell...

Batteries seem to last around the 4 to 5 yr mark for me... They have a date sticker on them and the date marked should have been the install date... How old is the battery? Sounds like it needs swapping out...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Confirmed, Battery is screwed, Charged it to full overnight and it wouldnt start, Put it in my dads Fairmont, Wouldnt start, Put my dads battery in mine and started strongly. After charging it to 12.5 volts, after trying to start both cars it has dropped to 10. Im off to buy a battery!

Thanks for all your help guys.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]